Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407190 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2235 on: April 11, 2015, 01:13:19 am »

Somehow, Objective, I think he knew that. :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: April 11, 2015, 03:22:24 pm »

I'm thinking of doing another rerun of an old game.

Either Treasure Sounds A Lot Like Treachery III
Or Tack's Zombie Survival III.

Everyone of the above ones which I have run, has completely fallen apart because of me. It's been awesome.
So I'm thinking to go again!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: April 11, 2015, 06:41:31 pm »

I haven't played those games. What were they like?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: April 11, 2015, 07:16:22 pm »

I want to run an ISG, but I both suck at art and commitment.

gahh

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: April 11, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »

Probably shouldn't run an ISG, then.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: April 11, 2015, 09:24:32 pm »

I guess Magical Lesbian Vampire Battle is up to me, then.

I've heard of Magical Girls defeating monsters of darkness with the power of love, but this is ridiculous. Also hilarious.
Well now I'm torn between Hip Size Is A Stat Edition and Infinite Cuddle Works.

Ok, so what about people becoming vampires either by drinking the blood of the person they hate most (only applicable if they hate someone) and dying immediately after, the person who loves them the most (only applicable if anyone loves them, familially or romantically) and dying immediately after, or by drinking the blood of one child every day exclusively until they die, eating or drinking nothing else and being killed by nothing but natural causes (i.e. only drinking blood for several days in a row).
Depends on the vibe you're going for, but I get the feeling you're overthinking this part. Does it really matter where vampires come from or whether they're weak to silver, if all you need is for them to keep popping up and die when mages punch them? I'd probably ditch or not worry about most of the historically inspired stuff and just worry about how they should act mechanically. Which, again depending on theme, probably means there's some relatively easy but not universal way for people, possibly mainly bad people, to become vampires and then start eating or otherwise inconveniencing other people.

gahh
"Sucking" at art isn't an issue; being able to make the art you want quickly is, from my experience. You don't want to burn out trying to make several masterpieces every single update.

There's definitely no getting around the commitment part, though. There's several ways to attempt to make yourself more committed, however, so you might want to think along those lines. What, that's within your control, could you do to ensure that the game you're running is interesting to you?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: April 11, 2015, 09:32:45 pm »

Stop making me want to play this game, dammit. :P

gahh
"Sucking" at art isn't an issue; being able to make the art you want quickly is, from my experience. You don't want to burn out trying to make several masterpieces every single update.

There's definitely no getting around the commitment part, though. There's several ways to attempt to make yourself more committed, however, so you might want to think along those lines. What, that's within your control, could you do to ensure that the game you're running is interesting to you?
I can attest to this. Both of my ISGs have literally been stickmen with inconsistent clothing designs in poorly-drawn backgrounds with little to no shading. I reuse images on a pseudo-Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff scale and once had to drop a character who was a sprite torn out of FFIII because my character proportion drawing was too inconsistent. I have around seven regular posters.

Meanwhile, I had to drop the MGS-ripoff because my "abruptly decide to update all of the games I run at once" schedule meant that I got bored drawing the pictures every time for it after updating all 2-4 D&D games and the other ISG. You need to be committed, but you don't need to invest hours in it every day.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: April 11, 2015, 09:37:49 pm »

I guess Magical Lesbian Vampire Battle is up to me, then.

I've heard of Magical Girls defeating monsters of darkness with the power of love, but this is ridiculous. Also hilarious.
Look, in my experience, Infinite Cuddle works is far too unbalanced, I mean, infinite Kindness for the cuddlemancers? I understand the quite large cuddle damage decrease but what they never thought of was the infinite cuddle skill, because of the way the game is structured, you can always hit up to at least 1 damage, and a 2000 hit combo attack with zero cost?
I must say if you want to go that way you should homebrew some of it.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: April 12, 2015, 09:35:33 am »

I haven't played those games. What were they like?

Both use class systems, past that they're very different.

One is a ASCII board-game style thing which involves "first to post" turn order and encourages temporary alliances and rampant backstabbing.
Kind of like "munchkins" but a bit more board freedom.

The other is a typical RP, you vs zombies, but the players start fairly scattered. It encourages teamups, but there's a lot of environmental factors and risk of infection.
To date I haven't ever finished one though, which I hope to rectify.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: April 15, 2015, 02:29:10 pm »

So, I've been thinking.
What is the best way to adapt tabletop games to forums?
I tried twice with Fiasco and did not have much success. Would anyone have any ideas or examples of how to do something like that right? I think my problem was that the process went way too slow and didn't involve the players enough, both of which were the opposite of what Fiasco is intended to do.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: April 15, 2015, 02:31:57 pm »

So, I've been thinking.
What is the best way to adapt tabletop games to forums?
I tried twice with Fiasco and did not have much success. Would anyone have any ideas or examples of how to do something like that right? I think my problem was that the process went way too slow and didn't involve the players enough, both of which were the opposite of what Fiasco is intended to do.
What kind of tabletop games are you looking to adapt, and what, in more specific terms, were you having trouble with?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: April 15, 2015, 02:33:28 pm »

Well, I'd like doing something narrative based, like Don't Rest Your Head or Fiasco. The trouble is that those games rely on a back-and-forth that obviously doesn't translate on forums very well.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: April 15, 2015, 02:36:36 pm »

Well, I'd like doing something narrative based, like Don't Rest Your Head or Fiasco. The trouble is that those games rely on a back-and-forth that obviously doesn't translate on forums very well.
Hm... your best bet would either be to use IRC or to get players who either live in your timezone or are willing to use the internet in the wee hours of the morning to play.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: April 15, 2015, 02:37:35 pm »

Ah. Well, good thing I was also asking in the tabletop thread if anyone in my general timezone was interested in IRC roleplaying, then.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: April 15, 2015, 02:38:11 pm »

I'm in the same timezone, and you already know I'm interested in Don't Rest Your Head, Fniff, so...
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 238