Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407162 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2205 on: March 27, 2015, 09:14:28 pm »

Watching this made me think someone should make a game about managing a cult.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: March 27, 2015, 09:20:35 pm »

Watching this made me think someone should make a game about managing a cult.
Somebody did back during the GR-5 Incident.*

*That is, the Grisha5 Incident.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 28, 2015, 03:55:32 am »

On second thought, making goblins playable will be too much trouble. Maybe I'll make it an unlockable race but I won't make it a default one. Maybe I should do the same for the Dryads and their descendants. I just haven't come up with enough stuff for them to do. (Anyone know any material (webcomics, game rulebooks, etc.) relating to elves that I can read?)

So how do people here get their maps? Are they home-made or borrowed from other sources? If the former, are they just thought up in someone's head or is there some other method I don't know about?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: March 28, 2015, 06:24:19 am »

Maps huh. Well, the few ones which I drew, were made-up, but also "looked like it".

Either way, it might be a good idea to trace continents / islands made with http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/ ,as to avoid the "linear" continent look that might sneak itself in otherwise. Lots of other stuff on there too, which might turn out useful if one is struggling for ideas.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 29, 2015, 12:26:08 am »

Sweet damn that's amazing! Thanks for the link!
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: March 30, 2015, 04:30:52 am »

Ok, so this is almost certainly not gonna happen but what does everyone think of a magical girl SG where you play as a magical girl that goes back in time to kill MG nazis who were created by an evil underground neo-nazi organisation and sent back in time to help Germany win WWII?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 30, 2015, 04:32:42 am »

So I have this idea for a game where each players control an aspect of an mech. Dice rolls determine what the mech will do (repair, attack, defend, etc.) as they fight an opposing team. Each player can decrease or increase the power of certain actions by relocating the stat point. So lime if they do 3 damage and heal 2 damage, a player can move the point so that they instead do 2 damage and heal 3 damage.

This is still an idea, though. I would need help for a more tangible rule system.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: March 30, 2015, 06:04:40 am »

It doesn't seem like a very fun game. Not much to do from what I can tell.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:36 am »

Would there be any interest in a dungeon crawl RPG in which the players play freshly incarnated souls?

The focus would be on exploration and RP more so than combat, with what combat there is being relatively lethal, and a rather grim atmosphere (think fighting fantasy - deathtrap dungeon for reference.)

About as much detail as I can give without spoilers :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: March 30, 2015, 07:24:06 am »

If by "RP" you mean doing so in the game rather than backstory, I'd be interested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: March 30, 2015, 07:51:25 am »

I should probably watch this thread.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: March 30, 2015, 11:04:24 am »

Would there be any interest in a dungeon crawl RPG in which the players play freshly incarnated souls?

The focus would be on exploration and RP more so than combat, with what combat there is being relatively lethal, and a rather grim atmosphere (think fighting fantasy - deathtrap dungeon for reference.)

About as much detail as I can give without spoilers :P

Sounds neat.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: March 31, 2015, 02:29:44 am »

So I was recently thinking about starting an SG where the player plays a vampire, drinks people's blood to eat their souls, and increases their stats or powers after getting a certain amount of souls. Then I thought the mechanics would be simple enough it could be a multiplayer game. This is where I run off on a tangent so I'd like to hear thoughts about this idea alone as well as the following idea.

The following idea
Vampires vs magical girls. Vampires eat humans, magical girls eat vampires, magical girls are more powerful, vampires have more abilities. The first two bits might lead to something from PMMM. Thoughts?

EDIT: By 'magical girls', I really only meant people who have a magical form. They don't have to be female.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:34:29 am by Andres »

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: March 31, 2015, 02:39:32 am »

So.. basically Magical Girl VS Vampire PVP?

Hmm... you maybe aware of the Scottland Yard Board-Game? Kinda a classic, not sure how it is doing recently.

Either way, what I would suggest is the main mechanic of that game. In your context, the vampires would go first via pm's, whereas the Magical Girls would hunt them openly in the thread. Every few rounds, a vampire has to feed, and the corpses left behind will shine the way to them.
If a Magical Girl is close enough, use some kind of skill and similiar, they will also sense the vampires. So yeah, kind of a cat and mouse game.

Obviously such mechanics would need some sort of map, with different locations. Enough to keep the chase on, no real bottlenecks and stuff.

Not sure if my idea is going into the direction you want this to go, but a scottland yard-y game on here could actually turn out quite interesting either way ;3

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: March 31, 2015, 03:15:15 am »

Yup. Pretty much that.

I've heard of Scotland Yard, but all I know is that it's related to Sherlock Holmes, it's a real-life thing, and it does or did investigative work. I've never heard of it as a board game.

As for the mechanics, I'm not sure I want the vampires to be the ones using PMs if I'll be using them at all. Magical girls will be the ones laying ambushes if anyone.
Magical girls get an active soul sense ability which lets them accurately tell vampire from human apart and even lets them see both through walls, though that last bit has a radius. Its biggest downside is that it relies on mana. Vampires will have the ability minus the see through walls, it'll be a passive ability (meaning no mana cost, not that vampires will have mana), but they can only tell if an MG is an MG if they're in their magical form.

Shit, that's probably the biggest problem I'll have to deal with, assuming there are enough people wanting to play. Any advice on this one? Someone linked a great site for fantasy world but I can't really use it here unless....unless I don't set it in modern times....
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 238