Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407104 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2190 on: March 25, 2015, 06:09:36 pm »

So what's it called when you control another person's living body using magic? Puppetry? Body-controlling?
Being a dick.
Yes, that would be one of the reasons why Life and Death mages aren't seen as a good/evil dichotomy in many places.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: March 25, 2015, 06:16:32 pm »

So what's it called when you control another person's living body using magic? Puppetry? Body-controlling?
Well, mind-control, which one could say that it controls all of the electric pulses that the brain makes to move your body n' shit. It could be worded and used differently if one were to use different applications of magic I guess, enchantments on someones body to moves something when you want it to, complete and utter mind and body domination, destroying the mind and placing your own magical one that follows your own commands via telepathy, ect.

Yes, that would be one of the reasons why Life and Death mages aren't seen as a good/evil dichotomy in many places.
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people!"
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 25, 2015, 06:19:28 pm »

Being a dick.

Blood bending

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 25, 2015, 06:29:37 pm »

Well, mind-control, which one could say that it controls all of the electric pulses that the brain makes to move your body n' shit. It could be worded and used differently if one were to use different applications of magic I guess, enchantments on someones body to moves something when you want it to, complete and utter mind and body domination, destroying the mind and placing your own magical one that follows your own commands via telepathy, ect.
Not at all the type of body-controlling I have in mind. What you're thinking of is mind magic - which doesn't exist (any more) - while the thing I'm talking about is purely physically moving their body. Instead of physical strings, though, the subject's body is moved by your own life energy injected into them via touch. The subject can be either conscious or unconscious (asleep) during this time, though the movement usually wakes them up.

Being a dick.

Blood bending
Yeah, pretty much that. I need a different name for it, though.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: March 25, 2015, 06:49:05 pm »

Being a dick.
:(
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 25, 2015, 07:39:40 pm »

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people!"
Guns just make it so much more convenient easier.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 25, 2015, 07:49:33 pm »

Except in this case, guns are also capable of healing gun wounds from other guns and the other guns can also cure cancer.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 25, 2015, 08:04:17 pm »

Except in this case, guns are also capable of healing gun wounds from other guns and the other guns can also cure cancer.
Right. Like I said. Guns.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 25, 2015, 08:49:12 pm »

Right. Like I said. Guns.
....Wut?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 26, 2015, 04:45:34 am »

Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: March 26, 2015, 06:31:25 am »

Ok, launch of the game will probably come out within a week but I still have a few things to iron out. First on the list is I changed some racial stats:
Code: [Select]
Humans: +1 divine magic, +1 INT
 *Orc: +1 STR, +10% XP gain for combat skills when competing

High Elves: +2 INT, +1 AGI, +1 DEX

Goblins: -3 STR, SPD halved, INT halved, +2 stealth
Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Now, originally I had this game in mind as a Suggestion Game where players pick a race and do whatever, maybe unravel what happened to Time or become a pseudo-demigod or attain rulership or something. The problem is that I intend for the players to unlock new races they can play as as they play the game, which they can then play as once they retire their character or die. I feel that if I play it as an SG people will drop out once the character that they've all invested their time in will die, or will simply never retire the character and play as a new race. For this reason, I've decided to open up this game to 3 players at a time.

While all gameplay will take place on the same world (a more precise description would be 'planet'), the players can choose to play in very different areas. There will be a default area that players can play in or they can request to play in a different part of the world (specified by them) where the geography is different, such as one where Humans are wiped out or where Dryads and Dwarves are the two major powers of the world (Dryads are basically super elves).

Just to make it clear, the situation in the above history is merely how it is in the default area. If a player wants, they can be put in an area where Humans managed to hold on to power or one where Orcs took over everything or one where Dwarves are extinct because of magma-related shenanigans. A planet is a big place, after all, and history unfolds differently in different areas. Also, the reason why I call gods based on domains rather than names is because they have different names depending on race and location.

Difference between the elves:
Nature Elves - attractive Humans with pointy ears
High Elves - Nature Elves except taller (that's where the 'High' comes from)
Great Elves - Nature Elves except green and more muscular (that's where the 'Great' comes from)

The default area will be very standard but should allow for some decent experiences. All the races start off at peace with each-other (except for Goblins, being Always Chaotic Evil they're at war with everyone) with some ruins to uncover, wilderness to explore, and monsters to fight.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:35:41 am by Andres »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: March 26, 2015, 11:11:10 am »

If you mostly just intended Goblins to be an NPC race and made them playable to give players the option if they want, that's fine, but personally I don't see the point of making a PC race that's intended to be crap. There should be something compelling about them, even if it's not mechanics-based.

And if you want parties of various characters that go off and adventure and occasional have newly found races join them, you might want to consider having the characters be part of an adventurers guild or some other organization that recruits these newly found races. Or you could do something like the West Marches. That way you don't have to wait until someone dies to add new characters, people can just choose to play different ones when they go on a new trip or mission.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 26, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »

If you mostly just intended Goblins to be an NPC race and made them playable to give players the option if they want, that's fine, but personally I don't see the point of making a PC race that's intended to be crap. There should be something compelling about them, even if it's not mechanics-based.
To be honest, I just intended for them to be an NPC race and only made it a playable race because "why not?", not because it'll be exceptionally fun to play as one. I'm also not very good at anything that doesn't have to do with mechanics so getting an ACE race to be interesting in a fluffy way is out of my abilities. However, I have given this some thought and I think I've come up with some decent game mechanics for Goblin players.

Ok, firstly, Goblins are born in Goblin birthing pits. I'm not sure exactly how goblin pits are actually made, but I do know that slaves dig them out and that they work using the process of ANIMALS>IN - GOBLINS>OUT. Secondly, the player has the option of playing as a sneaker (thieves, child-snatchers, and assassins) alone or a fighter (fighting (duh), raiding, looting, enslaving) in a warband. Doing so will accrue wealth, leading to better gear and slaves. Slaves can be used for generic slave stuff like labour, they can be used as soldiers in your own personal army, and they can be used to dig out (and maintain >:D) your own personal goblin birthing pit(s).

A Goblin player can also do normal stuff like get better at magic or become an awesome fighter but the above playstyle will be unique to them.

And if you want parties of various characters that go off and adventure and occasional have newly found races join them, you might want to consider having the characters be part of an adventurers guild or some other organization that recruits these newly found races. Or you could do something like the West Marches. That way you don't have to wait until someone dies to add new characters, people can just choose to play different ones when they go on a new trip or mission.
I've just finished reading that and it looks pretty interesting. The problem here is that if I'm going to allow this kind of guild to exist I can't just have one - each race would have one suited to their specific needs. Dryads would need such a guild primarily for defence and colonisation (maybe - I need help with this), Dwarves for exploration (caverns), High Elves to find magical stuff, and Orcs and Humans for the frontier work mentioned in West Marches.

As for playing as different characters from the same guild, that could be problematic since one of the goals a player can have in this game is make them a legendary warrior or attain immortality. This would discourage them from voluntarily choosing to play as different characters.

Fakedit: I guess maybe I can make it that they have to wait for their character to be healed before they can play again, during which time another player can step in and play their own character.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 27, 2015, 03:04:41 am »

OK here's what just came in to my mind from reading that.

Goblin give birth to live maggot like young on a regular cycle, over time they eat stuff, mostly meat and grow until there about the size of a large dog.
All this time the goblin inside gestates so that when it haches the  goblin has reached most of it adult size and is fully able to support it self.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: March 27, 2015, 04:31:32 am »

Not on a regular cycle, it'll have to be, but I think you're on to something with the maggots. Some actual goblin material would definitely have to be included. (The following I thought up while writing the post.) Maybe instead of maggots it's actual goblin bits? For example, if you slice a goblin in two and throw both pieces into the birthing pit, you'll get two goblins after X amount of time?
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 238