Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407164 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2010 on: January 28, 2015, 04:23:26 pm »

I have developed an interest in running a succession writing game, and I think I may have a concept.

The game, such as it is, would revolve around forming a unified ideology around four sets of buzzwords (such as, for instance, Anthroneutral Cosmoxism, for a randomly generated example) and four players. Each player on their turn writes a chapter about their set of buzzwords in a way that paints them as the way of the future or something of that nature. Then, when the four players are all done, the buzzwords in question then get passed to the next player in each case, who then writes about their interaction with the buzzword the player previously had. This continues until the point that all buzzwords are fully integrated and iterated from both perspectives, or until it seems like the whole thing looks halfway coherent, whichever comes first.

The selection of the buzzwords has two potential mechanisms. First, random generation - players are selected on a first-come-first-served basis, and the first four get five different random buzzwords each, they have to pick one and roll with it. If they can't work with it, next player in line gets the chance to be in. First people who manage to produce a chapter this way are actually in. The second method is that the players supply a single buzzword each, which may be more interesting (given that the buzzword generator is rather primitive and predictable, really) in the long run, and the best-sounding buzzwords along with the supplying players are put in the game.

Now, who thinks this may be a reasonably good idea?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: January 28, 2015, 04:27:43 pm »

Sounds like it could be interesting, though I guarantee headaches and bickering.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: January 28, 2015, 04:32:15 pm »

Sounds like it could be interesting, though I guarantee headaches and bickering.

Oh, that's why I'd keep it down to four players. It's much harder to attract bickering when you cast a small net. Though what they would bicker about, I have very little clue, since it's a made-up philosophy they're trying to work out on a foundation of nothing less than solid, compressed bullshit.

My two main concerns in this case would be the lack of inspiration among players, especially initially, and overly long waiting times for players to get work done. Though these could certainly be misplaced.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: January 28, 2015, 04:38:08 pm »

People arguing over the definitions of the buzzwords. And be careful choosing the buzzwords, as some might be confusing/hard to write for.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: February 01, 2015, 06:43:32 pm »

So, I've been reading up on Don't Rest Your Head, and it's pretty fantastic. The basic premise is that you are an insomniac who has gained the ability to enter a place known as the Mad City, a metropolis infested with nightmares who want to kill you, eat your soul, or worse. Not only that, you have gained two powers; the ability to do a mundane thing better then anyone else (An exhaustion talent) and the ability to do something completely insane usually relating to your mental disorders (A madness talent).
This is a really cool system that means your character could be able to use their childhood teddy bear to cause natural disasters, able to eat an iPod and a Nokia and then shit out an iPhone, or able to summon subway trains from anywhere. Not random shit I just made up, these are actually suggested powers, and probably some of the lower level ones. There is a cost, however. If you use too much of your power, you will turn into one of the nightmares yourself. And that's if you don't crash and end up sleeping, which is about the worst thing that could happen to you since that makes you defenseless and means every nightmare has your exact location. Death is about the best case scenario in that situation.

I was thinking of running a game. Anyone interested if that did happen?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: February 01, 2015, 06:45:43 pm »

I actually read up on a bit of that system as well, and it seems pretty interesting, so yeah.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: February 01, 2015, 08:40:49 pm »

Pheh. I play games to live out fantasies, not experience real life.

Er.

Yeah, I don't get enough sleep as it is. However, I guess the game sounds fun enough as long as it stays a game.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: February 01, 2015, 08:48:51 pm »

That would be worth keeping an eye on, at least.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: February 01, 2015, 08:54:25 pm »

I would find it pretty interesting.
Question, does sleeping provide any benefits if you survive through it (however small a chance that would have.) and do the nightmares continue to know exactly where you are if you wake up alive?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: February 01, 2015, 09:00:19 pm »

TV tropes says that once you're rested, you still function as if you were asleep (Nightmare Magnet, they know where you are), but now don't have your powers to defend yourself, until you stay awake long enough to get them back.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: February 01, 2015, 09:13:14 pm »

Pretty much what Flabort said. The length of time is about forty days, if I recall.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: February 01, 2015, 09:47:00 pm »

I think the duration you had to stay awake for has to be at least equal to the amount of time you were asleep for. So at least one day.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2023 on: February 01, 2015, 10:22:26 pm »

So, I've been reading up on Don't Rest Your Head, and it's pretty fantastic. The basic premise is that you are an insomniac who has gained the ability to enter a place known as the Mad City, a metropolis infested with nightmares who want to kill you, eat your soul, or worse. Not only that, you have gained two powers; the ability to do a mundane thing better then anyone else (An exhaustion talent) and the ability to do something completely insane usually relating to your mental disorders (A madness talent).
This is a really cool system that means your character could be able to use their childhood teddy bear to cause natural disasters, able to eat an iPod and a Nokia and then shit out an iPhone, or able to summon subway trains from anywhere. Not random shit I just made up, these are actually suggested powers, and probably some of the lower level ones. There is a cost, however. If you use too much of your power, you will turn into one of the nightmares yourself. And that's if you don't crash and end up sleeping, which is about the worst thing that could happen to you since that makes you defenseless and means every nightmare has your exact location. Death is about the best case scenario in that situation.

I was thinking of running a game. Anyone interested if that did happen?
Where can I download this system?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: February 01, 2015, 10:32:53 pm »

It's by some fellows named Evil Hat Productions. Try buying it there.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 238