Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407167 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1995 on: January 21, 2015, 09:34:49 pm »

Multiplayer or SG? I'm so interested either way.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: January 21, 2015, 09:39:19 pm »

Multiplayer or SG? I'm so interested either way.
Multiplayer. Just like the good real Payday 2.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: January 24, 2015, 10:36:34 am »

Hmm...
How many people here would be able to participate in an IRC game at 9PM in GMT+0?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:17 pm »

That would be... 1PM here, I think. Perhaps.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: January 24, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »

Yes.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: January 24, 2015, 08:13:38 pm »

Say, has anybody here ever considered running a d20 Modern campaign around here, besides that one thing I dropped that one time?

Seems like an interesting alternative to the fantasy and sci-fi games that usually get played around here.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: January 25, 2015, 12:16:25 am »

So originally I wanted to reboot You are a Lord as a rules-lite game, since it was originally freeform, which caused problems, then later attempts to add rules seemed to add pointless resource tracking.

So I spent part of the day browsing through and musing over Risus, PDQ (Atomic Sock Monkey's site doesn't seem to want to properly load at the moment, so I'll also link their Wikipedia and DriveThruRPG pages), FATE 2.0 (also known as FUDGE Edition), and Fate Accelerated Edition (FAE) (on the right-hand side).

At first I thought about using a freeform skill system like Risus and PDQ have, and after looking at FATE 2.0's d6 Alternative Dice Method, I think I might want to use that method (roll your skill level number of dice + bonus or penalty dice, keep your skill value of dice, either the highest or lowest depending on whether you have bonus or penalty, compare to target number or opposing roll) with freeform skills so that people who take very broad skills will be able to use them, but won't be as powerful in certain situations as someone with a more specialized skill (whereas the defaults in Risus and PDQ seem to be that a skill is either applicable or not).

But that sort of system absolutely requires GM intervention to work. I'll probably use it for something else, but I kind of wanted a system that could be applied by players if need be, since one of the things I liked about "You are a Lord" was how, after my Adventurers Guild was beaten to a dragon-slaying by a group of scab adventurers, they intended to force the scabs to join them with threats of damaged kneecaps. So I thought of borrowing FAE's Approaches (Careful, Clever, Flashy, Forceful, Quick, Sneaky) to accommodate the fact that wizards and warriors and boats and other things would all have different methods by which they do things, but you could at least measure how good they are at doing those things in certain ways and whether that matches up with what they're currently doing, and therefore have a standard set of stats that doesn't make and presumptions about what sort of skills anyone might want to bring to the table.

Though I guess that designing the system to work without a GM may not gain much for its trade-offs, and handling Approaches might require some GM interpretation anyway. So I may just go with the original system (which I actually only finalized after considering Approaches).

However I do it, I think there should certain attributes possessed by all characters, like Health Tracks and Wealth Ratings (and maybe other things that I can't think of right now), and I'll probably add in other things like FATE's Extras.

I want to handle units, whether army or mercenary, like Drops in a Pond (under "FATE CORE COMMISSIONS") does it, where they are basically treated as characters themselves, and taking damage means you're losing people (whether by death, desertion, recruitment by the enemy, or whatever). You should be able to divide up units, splitting skill and health values, and be able to draw individuals from the units. Also units would have a Wealth upkeep number based on their skills, which I feel should be able to be reduced by loyalty. (Possibly a skill possessed by their commander?)

I don't know how much sense that made, but I suppose I've rambled on enough now.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: January 26, 2015, 04:55:09 pm »

So, I'm gonna attempt to run a game. Again. Here's the system I'm currently trying to develop:
Spoiler: the rules (click to show/hide)
So, on a scale of 1 to FATAL, how terrible is this?

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: January 27, 2015, 11:57:20 am »

Well, looks like the forums are finally gonna get those points in cheating!

On a more serious note.. less is more. While it sounds fun to roll on a D100 table, it gets a drag real quick. The same goes for stats - I mean, 6 different attributes. 250 Points at start. 4 different rolls for a single attack? Imagine how many you will need for a whole combat-sequence!

Truth be told, unless you have great enough fervor / discipline, to actually carry through this dice-heavy monstrosity, you are bound to curse your own system before long. At least that's what I already did on multiple occasions.  :P (Speaking of my own systems, of course)

So... yeah. If you want to keep those 6 attributes, at least do yourself a favour and make Evasion, Accuracy, Armour and Extra-Strength-Damage a stable stat / bonus.  I'd also advise you to just drop a nil of the dice and attributes. Will take a heavy workload from your shoulders.

On that note, some people (me among them) tend to build a real nifty, convoluted game system. Which is fine, actually. Still, often enough it is putting the cart in front of the horse. Our players want to be entertained - the notion that the system behind their entertainment follows complicated, if not sophisticated rules is... well.. nice. But not much more than that. Putting even half of the time and effort, which drives this systems into the actual game - the story - and the players will go "great" instead. Well, no guarantess, but.. I trust that you get what I want to say.

ToCutItShort: Complicated Game-Systems do not add much "worth" to the players experience. Adding more to the story instead, yields better results.
(Or, even more direct - complicated game systems are enjoyable for the gm, as a kind of self-satisfaction. His players? They won't really care one way or the other...)

Leaving the issue of the system aside, what little you have told about the story, does sound interesting enough, especially the "Power" stat.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: January 27, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »

Heh, thanks.
Yeah, I'm not exactly happy with the way I made this system, most of all the attack rolls, but I couldn't really think of another way at the time.
Your post got me thinking though, and I may have a better solution which I am liable to implement midway through the game if this version proves too much for me.
I do like the Power stat, though. It's...nice.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: January 27, 2015, 02:14:41 pm »

On a more serious note.. less is more. While it sounds fun to roll on a D100 table, it gets a drag real quick. The same goes for stats - I mean, 6 different attributes. 250 Points at start. 4 different rolls for a single attack? Imagine how many you will need for a whole combat-sequence!
Actually, there doesn't seem to be a d100 table involved at all. He's having players roll under their stat number on the d100, I believe (at least that's what he said; the formula he gave for such an action doesn't really make any comparisions), which is what Runequest and Call of Cthulhu use, I believe, so it's not a weird and complicated new mechanic. Why he then goes on to make opposed rolls a d20, that's on him to explain.

And so, with that sort of mechanic in place, 250 points split between 6 (or it is 7? I don't really understand how the Power stat is determined) stats doesn't seem so unreasonable. I will agree that 4 rolls per attack (each with their own modifiers) does seem a bit bonkers, though.

Anyway, since I'm posting here, I might as well say that I think I'm giving up on the idea of a "You are a Lord" reboot for now, and instead want to refocus the effort I put into the attempt to making a Bring-Your-Own-Class fantasy game (or, if people want, I just now realized it could be turned into a superheros game).

The skill system would be freeform, meaning you can take whatever you can imagine as a skill (but keep in mind that broadly applicable skills won't do as well in certain situations as more specific ones, meaning that, if you take "Wizard" as a skill, you can make fire with magic, but you won't be as good at it as a "Pyromancer". You'd be better at illusions than him, but not as much as an "Illusionist"). Your skill level for whatever skills you'd have would give you that many d6's, which are used for opposed and unopposed rolls.

I plan to use the FATE 2.0 alternative dice method wherein bonuses and penalties give you extra dice with each bonus and penalty die negating another on a one-for-one basis, and you roll all the dice together and keep your skill level of dice, keeping all the highest if the extra dice you rolled were bonus dice, or keeping the lowest if all the dice you rolled were penalty dice. So if you have a skill of 3 for something and you have a penalty of 1 die and a bonus of 2 dice, the extra dice will cancel out so that you have a bonus of 1 die, so you'll roll 4 dice and keep the 3 highest dice since you had a bonus.

I'll probably go with the Risus character creation method and say you have 10 points to spend (to by dice on a one-for-one basis) with no one skill able to go above 4 to start with. I'm not sure if I should add some sort of health track or do as Risus does and have dice be subtracted from the loser's skill in the event of a conflict (which can be healed back at a rate appropriate for the skill in question). If I add a health track, I'd probably have a default value for that, which could be increased by spending skill points on it, or maybe toughness or mental fortitude skills (depending on the nature of the attack) could be used as an additional buffer.

But would anyone be interested in this, or should I just not bother?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: January 27, 2015, 02:26:48 pm »

Holy shit.
I would join that before it's thread was posted.
That is to say, very interested.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: January 27, 2015, 04:34:47 pm »

Nice to see there's some interest, then. Keep in mind the system will be more than a bit experimental to start with. The skill system is by necessity always going to be a bit subjective (otherwise I'd have to have some sort of Skill-Specificity-and-Relation-to-Other-Skills matrix), though I think I can try to zero in on some sort of baselines.

So for the example of the "Wizard" skill, it would probably be used for knowing about arcane stuff, casting rituals, etc. Going outside the wizardly domain with the Wizard skill, such as trying to sneak or open doors, would incur a penalty, I'm thinking at least 2 dice. For a "Pyromancer", I'm not sure if I should keep their skill at level for doing fire magic or give it a bonus, I'd say 1 dice default, since that makes me wonder if I should give "Wizard" a bonus for some things, but then I think that it shouldn't get those bonuses since it's not as specific, but then I wonder how you even measure specificness. But I guess you can at least put things in a continuum, like Human->Wizard->Pyromancer->Fire Ritualist, and assign bonuses to about how far up the chain they go, and the more specific your skill is, the more it would rack up penalties for going outside its boundaries.

Spoiler: Pointless Aside (click to show/hide)

I've also thought about the reverse of the Wizard trying to sneak and open locks, like if you have a "Thief" or "Rogue" and they want to do something explicitly magical, like cast a fireball, that's pretty much a no-go (at least if they're using the Thief skill). But if they want to do something kind of magical that falls within the Thief domain, that's totally doable. So long as they can overcome the penalty, for example, a good enough Thief could steal something like a soul, or other metaphysical concepts. Such a thing would be easier for an accomplished Thief than an accomplished Wizard, since it is closer to the Thief's core concept.
Glory to Arstotzka!

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: January 27, 2015, 04:53:53 pm »

...yeah. Definitely interested.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 238