Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407356 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1785 on: November 07, 2014, 11:10:55 pm »

Ba'al isn't going to be pleased with this, Andres.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: November 07, 2014, 11:29:55 pm »

I don't know what a Ba'al is.

It depends. Add some descriptions for what it's about.
You take control of a soul. You create a human body with Soul Energy. You get Soul Energy by absorbing souls and converting them to Soul Energy. Conversion is done automatically. You absorb souls by killing people. There are cops, the military, inquisitors, paladins, angels, and an archangel emperor. Magic is a thing but the character may or may not be able to use it (haven't decided). The setting is a mix of modern and fantasy. You can regenerate your current body by eating people (eating not-people works, but a lot less well) to regenerate a body, but it doesn't give any Soul Energy.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: November 07, 2014, 11:31:04 pm »

Does anyone know of any good names for a game where you gain power by eating other peoples' souls? Soul Eater is out of the question because that is the name of an anime.
Flabort: The Suggestion Game

Where players are deciding the actions taken during a day in the life of a demilich left hand.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: November 07, 2014, 11:34:07 pm »

Maybe... well, what's the name of the type of creature? Maybe call it Goul?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: November 07, 2014, 11:37:34 pm »

Ba'al? The Eater of Souls? (xkcd reference, tee hee.)

I'd recommend translating "soul eater" into Latin and using that.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: November 07, 2014, 11:49:37 pm »

Maybe... well, what's the name of the type of creature? Maybe call it Goul?
Goul? Nah. At the moment I just have it in my mind that it's just a very special human soul. That might change depending on what I want to do with the plot.

Ba'al? The Eater of Souls? (xkcd reference, tee hee.)

I'd recommend translating "soul eater" into Latin and using that.
I don't read xkcd so that's probably why I didn't get it. I translated it and got 'anima comedentis' which won't work because it doesn't sound cool enough to warrant being a Latin title and an anima is what the feminine side of the male psyche is called.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: November 08, 2014, 12:04:40 am »

Does anyone know of any good names for a game where you gain power by eating other peoples' souls? Soul Eater is out of the question because that is the name of an anime.
The Hunger Game.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: November 08, 2014, 12:56:35 am »

I translated it and got 'anima comedentis' which won't work because it doesn't sound cool enough to warrant being a Latin title and an anima is what the feminine side of the male psyche is called.
Damn. How about Greek? Otherwise, I've got nothing.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: November 08, 2014, 01:02:33 am »

Soulfeast

Soulphage

Blood Eaters

Wrath of the Incarnate

Apostles of Hunger

Vampires of Spirit

Remember that there's more to your game than eating souls, and that there's multiple ways to phrase anything. If one angle doesn't work for you, scrabble around for another.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: November 08, 2014, 05:49:36 am »

I translated it and got 'anima comedentis' which won't work because it doesn't sound cool enough to warrant being a Latin title and an anima is what the feminine side of the male psyche is called.
How about teyollocuani? It's a kind of obscure supernatural entity that eats hearts or souls. Or something along the lines of eraser seeing as such a thing would pretty much erase their victims from existence.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:53:54 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: November 08, 2014, 06:10:19 am »

How about teyollocuani? It's a kind of obscure supernatural entity that eats hearts or souls. Or something along the lines of eraser seeing as such a thing would pretty much erase their victims from existence.
Keep in mind that this is basically a human soul that's doing all the eating. If the characters choose not to eat any souls and do other stuff or increase their power in more traditional ways (still thinking on what that might be) then they can. For all intents and purposes the players will play as a normal human that just so happens to be able to create a new body for itself and that gains power by killing. They're not some monster or anything.
The title 'Eraser' reminds me of 'Bleach' because of the similarities to why the name was chosen.....definitely goes in the maybe pile.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: November 08, 2014, 06:28:11 am »

I think teyollocuani are some kind of sorcerer in folklore rather than some kind of monstrous entity. Though it probably also limits its use to if the player characters have some kind of magic.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: November 08, 2014, 07:31:26 am »

Fames Spiritus (Hunger of the Spirit)
Mae'r newyn Eneidiau Ddynoliaeth (The hunger of Mankind's Souls)
Arcanam Mors inter homines (The mysterious Death among men)
Bruxo espírito das Almas

So far, that's all I got
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: November 09, 2014, 04:33:27 pm »

There was a few vampire suggestion games on the forum. They weren't a craze but they weren't uncommon. I played in a few and lurked in others, and I found a reoccurring problem with them was that they relied a bit too much on exposition. I have been thinking of running a World of Darkness-based game, and I find that a lot of WoDalikes have the problem of awkward exposition. You know the type: more experienced supernatural entity shows up, goes over the details of the world, being essentially a professor with fangs.
I also recently played Choice of the Vampire. While it isn't in a modern setting like most WoDalikes and it is a videogame (Though in my opinion it seems that CYOA's are to suggestion games like CRPGs are to tabletop RPGs: streamlined but reduced), it's a good influence. For one, the exposition is given to you quickly but not all at once. For instance, two separate characters explain to you the basic nature of being a vampire and the political system of vampires. This feels a lot more natural, in my opinion.

Put simply: what is the best amount of exposition? All in one go, spread out, or just show not tell?
Another thing: what kind of exposition do players actually like the most?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: November 09, 2014, 04:38:35 pm »

You need to give them the basic premise, but after that it should be show not tell. Unless they ask.

I prefer show not tell myself.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 238