Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407461 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1650 on: October 16, 2014, 06:07:12 am »

@BlitzDungeoneer
My suggestion is just to make a Bleach-inspired game. How about this: the singular character that the players control wakes up in a monster land - could be Hueco Mundo, could be another universe's Hell, could be a particularly large and evil castle, whatever suits your fancy - with a sword next to them. The character's job is to find a way back to their home. They may or may not discover a great evil that only they are in a position to stop, depending on how complex you want the story to be.

You give the players options as to what the sword looks like - each of which corresponds to a personality, shikai, bankai etc. that you make in advance - but you do NOT let the the players create their own version of the sword's appearance or any other aspect of the sword. It sounds limiting but it would be a lot more engaging for the players to "grow" with the sword. As they fight their way through the world and they increase in power, so does the sword, and eventually communication develops. The character - and thus, the players - form a close bond with the sword. The fact that they are the only people... at all, further strengthens the bond. An important thing to do is to steer the relationship AWAY from romantic and more into a best friend/sibling/battle buddy relationship because seriously, it's a sword. You can't get anywhere with a sword. This isn't as interesting - or at least is more difficult for you to make interesting - when the players already know everything important about the sword in advance.

Enemies should not be there to pass the time. You can make some of them be plot- or narrative-important. If you decide to make the world grimdark, you can make the world barren of any food or drink, the monsters you fight being the only source of both. For extra grimdark, make the monsters sapient.
"For I was hungry, and I ate you. I was thirsty, and I drank you."
The monsters should force the players and the character into a corner, make them get desperate, increase tension - be careful not to burn out the players with this one unless they're an alternative boss battle or a storm before the calm thing if it's not. Don't put one of these battles right before a boss battle. Bosses are supposed to be the "final test" for characters - and thus, players - and it would be perceived as unfair (the bad kind of unfair) if they were forced to fight without even being in decent condition. If you must do this, make sure that they get an insta heal but give the players a little time to get their bearings so you can avoid burnout. A final loadout check or something would suffice and maybe use the battle as acknowledgement that the character is ready for the upcoming challenge. If none of these options are available, you can use filler enemies to show how far the character and the players have come since beginning the journey.

Whelp. That's all I have to say on the subject. I had more to say but while writing this it's gotten a bit late which made me tired so I forgot. Maybe I'll remember in the morning. If you decide to go ahead with a game like this I would very much like to be a part of it as a player.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:11:24 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: October 16, 2014, 09:14:59 am »

@BlitzDungeoneer
My suggestion is just to make a Bleach-inspired game. How about this: the singular character that the players control wakes up in a monster land - could be Hueco Mundo, could be another universe's Hell, could be a particularly large and evil castle, whatever suits your fancy - with a sword next to them. The character's job is to find a way back to their home. They may or may not discover a great evil that only they are in a position to stop, depending on how complex you want the story to be.

You give the players options as to what the sword looks like - each of which corresponds to a personality, shikai, bankai etc. that you make in advance - but you do NOT let the the players create their own version of the sword's appearance or any other aspect of the sword. It sounds limiting but it would be a lot more engaging for the players to "grow" with the sword. As they fight their way through the world and they increase in power, so does the sword, and eventually communication develops. The character - and thus, the players - form a close bond with the sword. The fact that they are the only people... at all, further strengthens the bond. An important thing to do is to steer the relationship AWAY from romantic and more into a best friend/sibling/battle buddy relationship because seriously, it's a sword. You can't get anywhere with a sword. This isn't as interesting - or at least is more difficult for you to make interesting - when the players already know everything important about the sword in advance.

Enemies should not be there to pass the time. You can make some of them be plot- or narrative-important. If you decide to make the world grimdark, you can make the world barren of any food or drink, the monsters you fight being the only source of both. For extra grimdark, make the monsters sapient.
"For I was hungry, and I ate you. I was thirsty, and I drank you."
The monsters should force the players and the character into a corner, make them get desperate, increase tension - be careful not to burn out the players with this one unless they're an alternative boss battle or a storm before the calm thing if it's not. Don't put one of these battles right before a boss battle. Bosses are supposed to be the "final test" for characters - and thus, players - and it would be perceived as unfair (the bad kind of unfair) if they were forced to fight without even being in decent condition. If you must do this, make sure that they get an insta heal but give the players a little time to get their bearings so you can avoid burnout. A final loadout check or something would suffice and maybe use the battle as acknowledgement that the character is ready for the upcoming challenge. If none of these options are available, you can use filler enemies to show how far the character and the players have come since beginning the journey.

Whelp. That's all I have to say on the subject. I had more to say but while writing this it's gotten a bit late which made me tired so I forgot. Maybe I'll remember in the morning. If you decide to go ahead with a game like this I would very much like to be a part of it as a player.
Hmm...
I will take this into consideration.
Spoiler: Which translates to... (click to show/hide)
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: October 16, 2014, 02:40:38 pm »

just stumbled upon this thread

just thought i would advertise my Great River main campaign game
link in my sig
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 16, 2014, 02:55:23 pm »

Um.

This thread is for suggesting game ideas, not advertising games that already exist (and regularly make the front page).
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: October 16, 2014, 02:57:29 pm »

Um.

This thread is for suggesting game ideas, not advertising games that already exist (and regularly make the front page).

oh woooops
sorry
thought it was something else entirely

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 16, 2014, 02:59:01 pm »

A forum roleplay where you make forum roleplays.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: October 16, 2014, 03:01:01 pm »

ok that makes sense

sorry guys
didn't mean to interrupt anything

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1657 on: October 16, 2014, 03:32:55 pm »

Um.

oh woooops
sorry
I have a thread specifically for doing that. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138238.msg5237923#msg5237923

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: October 16, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »

Maybe you can replace your unlinked sigs with links to these actually useful threads of yours? ;)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 16, 2014, 03:45:15 pm »

Um.

oh woooops
sorry
I have a thread specifically for doing that. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138238.msg5237923#msg5237923

Thanks

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1660 on: October 16, 2014, 03:51:48 pm »

Maybe you can replace your unlinked sigs with links to these actually useful threads of yours? ;)
Frumpie, Packard and Dozle stay where they are! >:v

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 16, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »

A rp that takes place in the Futurama universe.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: October 16, 2014, 04:52:22 pm »

Nope. That show is not consistent or obvious enough in its physics and universe and stuff.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 16, 2014, 04:56:34 pm »

That sounds like fun
I would love to play along with the silly inconsistencies

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 16, 2014, 07:07:25 pm »

Would anybody be interested in an Epic-level D&D 3.5 campaign?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 238