Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407441 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1635 on: October 09, 2014, 04:00:13 am »

As well as being wonkier to pull off, I, myself can't really think of any skills I would be able to logically apply to a Bleach forum game... Are there even that many?
But yhea, with the best part of that idea being the swords turning into better swords, I would suggest just taking... Hmmmm.
I'm just not sure, it seems even the theoretical supports are a bit wonky here, and there's not that much to say about it.
You could get some mileage out of a Rock-Paper-Scissors style affair, such as where the "Heavy" trait or skill or what have you is strong or weak to the "Light" stat or perk or whatever which is strong or weak to the "Medium" special or move or something. The problem with that is that it tends to be either pretty situational, as you'd get if players just made up their own stuff and so "Heart" was countered by "Despair" but everyone's going to have or be Lightning or Gravity or Speed or Hate or Arcane or Song so the odds of it mattering suck.

Or it tends to be pretty limited, as with the above Heavy/Medium/Light categories, because once you've made yourself Medium... well, then what? You usually win against Heavy and lose against Light, or vice versa, and that's mostly it, right? Do you get a Medium II skill at some point, or something? Branch off into category-specific Counter or Heavy Smash skills, perhaps?

It's doable, but at some point you'd want to just make them stats or special activated abilities or something.

As for making the game more interesting... well, if it's about swordfighting, you'd best make the swordfighting mechanics decently interesting. You could do some kind of RPS style thing as above but with individual moves rather than characters, so you get to guess whether you want to attack Aggressively, Balanced, or Defensively this turn. You could come up with some kind of Armor/Guard/Stamina systems to make sure fights consist of more nuance than "hit thing until HP goes to 0." You could introduce Exalted-style mechanics wherein you get bonuses to your rolls for describing your action well, so that even if the system itself isn't great the game still looks cool.

Again, there's ways to make it happen, but you kind of need to decide on just what kind of game you want it to be mechanically, and then put in the time figuring out how to make that happen.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: October 09, 2014, 04:15:30 am »

Thanks very much for the advice, then.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1637 on: October 10, 2014, 10:18:12 am »

Going to make a post-apoc where you're dudes with a tank.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 10, 2014, 06:37:01 pm »

Ok so i'm thinking of running a RPG im just not sure what setting to go for

A)A Low Fantasy setting with a mix of the Migration Period, Greek Dark Ages and feudal japan in to a ulta violent setting.
No really hard and fast rules on time periods but a feeling that the great empires are in decline and that blood thirsty barbarians are not at the gate but waiting in the wings to pick over the spoils as the shining city's crumble and fall one by one.

B) The players are a group of Time travelers given missions to complete by the time agency.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:52:36 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 10, 2014, 08:25:08 pm »

Ok so i'm thinking of running a RPG im just not sure what setting to go for

A)A Low Fantasy setting with
With what?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 10, 2014, 10:31:37 pm »

Well, I've gone and done it.

After listening to the kind of music you hear during trip sequences in movies for hours on end, I went and made a whole damned map, to scale, on graph paper, of a loosely-organized oceanic bay with several small islands.

Every island is a reference to something-- half of them have names that are anagrams of DnD characters I made, the other half consist of references to favored vidya games of mine, there's a country across the sea called "Ronlif" (rearrange the letters for a dandy Princess Bride reference), all that stuff.

This would be a suggestion game where you play as a wizard who's batshit insane and does all kinds of crazy stuff. Players are encouraged to give random suggestions, recommend irrational things, and flavor their suggestions as voices in the wizard's head.

Sound fun?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 10, 2014, 11:01:55 pm »

Definitely.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 11, 2014, 07:48:08 pm »

Would anyone be interested in a game where you play as super heroes (Or villains.) in a universe that's inspired partially by Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog?

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 13, 2014, 01:52:59 am »

Would a game like this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?365581-YOU-ARE-THE-SENATE-FAQ-READ-ME-FIRST! be interesting at all, albeit stripped down a bit? Basically the concept of combining a forum RPG and an AAR, with the players influencing the AAR through voting, laws, and other systems.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 13, 2014, 02:29:42 am »

I do own a game similar in vein to that called "King Arthur - The Roleplaying Wargame". Would that work? If so I'd be game to try.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 13, 2014, 08:35:05 am »

Its basically a "You are ______" type of game.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 15, 2014, 05:10:32 pm »

Would anybody be interested in an Epic-level D&D 3.5 campaign?
Totally not an attempt to start a chain reaction that ends with somebody else starting one at the same time so I can go make a doom wizard with METEOR SWARM.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1647 on: October 15, 2014, 06:44:53 pm »

A game where you're a skeleton, and you fight other skeletons and make friends with skeletons.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: October 16, 2014, 02:37:34 am »

Well don't I just look silly! I made an entire thread to show off my game idea when right under my nose THIS thread existed all along! Oh my.

The game is called OMNIWIZARD. You're basically the avatar but with more elements. The starting elements are Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Metal, Electricity, and Ki. The GM can add, remove, merge, or edit whatever elements they want. Watch this to see what ultimately inspired me to make this (besides Avatar and Dragon Ball).

EDIT: I'll be posting a link to the design document if the current GM I have lined up for it ends up not making it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:39:05 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 16, 2014, 03:12:11 am »

That reminds me, I should really be continuing on that Foodon Fighters idea.
The main problem I keep encountering is that while I already get the basic idea down (first round takes place with the Adventurer, being a basic hub based mission setup to get money and special items for the other players, then the FaSiencer (the Farmer/Sciencer) would be more discovery focused, and the final round would be the fighter, who could use the items and food given by the previous two teams in a gladiatorial arena.) But I can't really be bothered to go on with the more fine details.
And I should really finish that toriko document too...
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 238