Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407442 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1530 on: August 16, 2014, 01:20:49 pm »

I wasn't sure on what to use for rolling. I was thinking either the system Flabort proposed (which has the problem of all the [fairly simple] math involved) or using stats as flat bonuses and using a d100 or d50.

One example of what you could do with a d100. And one person who liked the idea.
So basically with that system you put in points to increase the roll number you need to go under to beat the roll and when they reach fifty for that number they can roll twice should they fail the first roll and when they get to fify in that they get another chance and so on?

Basically, every X points is another chance, but with diminishing returns in between.
Yeah, my only problem would be the math and weal characters would be at low numbers.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 16, 2014, 01:34:03 pm »

I would suggest stats as flat bonuses, if only because that's what is mostly used, and as such what most are familiar with. And the die is up to you, depends on personal preferences and what you want to be the highest roll possible to be.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 16, 2014, 01:37:25 pm »

There is another system I know where the stats actually act as the die.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 16, 2014, 01:38:56 pm »

I think you're referring to Cortex, though I am not sure as I'm only passingly familiar with that system.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 16, 2014, 01:41:07 pm »

I have no idea what you're talking about. I just know a system that works like that.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 16, 2014, 01:43:31 pm »

Cortex. It's a system in which, from what I've read, stats and skills are represented as dice, namely the amount you get to roll.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 16, 2014, 01:44:42 pm »

Well, it's the first time I've heard of it.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 16, 2014, 05:19:13 pm »

Cortex. It's a system in which, from what I've read, stats and skills are represented as dice, namely the amount you get to roll.
I'm pretty sure Cortex different sized dice for stats. What you're describing sounds more like a dice pool, which are used in several different systems.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 16, 2014, 05:57:46 pm »

Kind of like that but it's the actual number of the stat that makes the die.
So, someone with a 19 in a stat rolls a d19 for it.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 19, 2014, 04:08:07 am »

Kind of like that but it's the actual number of the stat that makes the die.
So, someone with a 19 in a stat rolls a d19 for it.
hm maybe fate although i think that stats in that determine how many die you role and it dosent use a d6 anyway (well it uses a cube but not with numbers)
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:40 am »

In Fate you always roll exactly four Fate dice for every action. And, yeah, a Fate die is just a cube with pluses, minuses, and blank faces, which you add up all together to get your die total.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 20, 2014, 12:35:14 am »

Okay, so random idea for a game that's totally for fun.

Basically the players are toys that come to life at night. (Life is relative as it's more every night the toys are put onto a battle field that is randomly determined and have to fight nightmares.) During the day they get played with and subsequently have bonuses applied to them by the GM or preferably the GM's son/daughter/younger sibling/eccentric fiance. I'm talking full on kid mode. Maybe the toy has some wings attached with super glue so now they fly or they have a plasma rifle in the form of a screw, I'm talking full on child like imagination mode. Barbie with a super plasma hair dryer? Do it. GI Joe riding a dinosaur? Of course. Steve? clad in full diamond armor riding a creeper into battle with his wolf and Captain America as back up? FUCKING DO IT! No rolls, no system, just the GM to decide who wins in this battle of nightmares and legends!

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 20, 2014, 12:42:58 am »

what would be a way i could start an angry mob to chase my players without getting in trouble for being inflammatory? because i really dont want to risk a permaban over something as minor as why the mob is chasing somebody
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 20, 2014, 12:46:37 am »

Make up some obscure custom that they broke. But make sure you give them a chance to have a choice in breaking it. Say, have someone approach them and ask them to do something that they wouldn't do normally. Then if they say no let them wander around a bit before sending the mob.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 238