Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407583 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1410 on: July 26, 2014, 11:41:59 pm »

Probably not. Level adjustment is...unlikely to be provided for. We might work something out, but I'm hoping to get a party that's more focused on the roleplaying aspects.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 26, 2014, 11:45:15 pm »

More than anything, that makes me want to play an irreverent bard who goes around angering the gods :P.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 27, 2014, 12:58:16 am »

More than anything, that makes me want to play an irreverent bard who goes around angering the gods :P.
Gods probably wouldn't give a shit, in all honesty. They don't have self-confidence issues. At least not most of them. And there's enough new and minor gods that some certainly could...

Lemme see if I can find my notes...ah, here we go.

A summarized history of the gods.

Spoiler: Firstborn Era (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World-Shaper Era (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Life-Makers Era (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Strife-Torn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Exiles (click to show/hide)

Not done with eras, but will finish later.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 27, 2014, 01:11:58 am »

Nerjin While I don't know Dark Souls, I'd be willing to play that one.
It's dark, right? Lots of undead? Think I might go find a splat and grab Dread Necro...

Tawarochir Seems like a short time to do a full conversion of all those classes and spells... and monsters, and races, etc.
A day? Really? You must have more time on your hands than even I do. Meaning you must never even try to sleep, let alone have to.
That said, I'd be willing to play that one too. I'm less comfortable with western settings because, well, I know less about them, but I'd be willing to play.

Rolepgeek DEFINITELY in on that one. Clerics are apparently my bag, and while I've applied for spontaneous cleric for several games, I've never, ever reached a point where I gain XP with one. :P Being a neutral spontaneous cleric, of course, lets me not know what gods rule the world while pretending I do.
But then again, maybe I should try something else. A scout, maybe.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 27, 2014, 01:41:51 am »

Nerjin That sounds interesting and I'd play if I didn't have so many things going on.

RPG It does sound interesting.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:57 pm »

Just finishing the histories.

Spoiler: The Shamed (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ascended (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Orphans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Scattered (click to show/hide)

With theoretically 162 or more gods, I think people can find the one that suits their fancy just fine.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 28, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »

So I was thinking of making a game that uses the major Arcana for classes and companions. I plan to accept four players who will decide on their classes, (they may only get descriptions of them through PMs and may only share what the classes are through them.) they as a group decide where they start, and they decide their two companions as a group.

Stats won't change and will determine the upper cap what one can roll for those stats. They get modifiers from equipment and perks they gain as they play.

The world is three continents, two in the north that are populated and one in the south that is unpopulated and is the area from which a darkness is encroaching, that are connected by land bridges forming a triangle. The game will be fairly open and there isn't really going to be a lot to prevent the players from doing their own thing besides the fact that somethings may be locked off if they don't occasionally go help fight the darkness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 28, 2014, 08:03:11 pm »

Speaking of D&D, I was thinking of spending a day or so turning the SRD into open source Saloons & Sheriffs-- D20 Western.

Any interest in cowboy D&D? It'll make a nice (6th? 7th?) time killing project.

Do it, ya varmint! :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:39 pm »

Heres a basic writeup I made on another site. I don't really know that much about running forum games and I probably will have to wait on the particular forum before I can do one but I would like to get some feedback on this idea and how to make it better. The gameplay is more based on board games I play in a college club and tabletop games than an average forum game. I would like to try playing this game on this board.

I am interested in running a space opera game with strong RPG elements. I am a big fan of a board game called Eclipse where you start off in one system and research technology to build your species. I was also really impressed with the Star Age thread and Star Gate thread but I really want a much more in depth ship battle system and a few PVE elements.

In dawn everyone would just start with one system. The game plays itself on a Hexagon board. Each Hex contains space for 4 systems. Each player has 3 generic resources , Money, Materials and Research. The game is played in rounds where each player uses as much money as they have to do actions which include exploring more planets, improving the infrastructure of systems they control, researching equipment for ships and building more.

To start out players select a general archetype for their species such as humanoid, insectoid, etc. They can then select traits such as in other games. They all start out with some sort of FTL drive but the majority of equipment they can purchase is near future. Researching involves submitting a research request in a general area to improve upon a field, or asking to research a specific technology. Research is limited by what your species believes is possible, for example in the beginning you cannot immediatly ask to research Energy shields because for your people that's still science fiction, however you can research it if you encounter someone else with shields or you find parts of one in a ancient ruin.
In addition to the basic 3 resources there are also rare resources that are found on planets which at first range from things like Uranium and Titanium to things like Dilithium Crystals or mithril. Its rare that a player will have more than a few of each on their planets so they would need to trade to other players for them. These rare resources are needed to make equipment for ships such as nuclear missiles in the beginning to wormhole generators later on. The Players vs Environment comes from NPCs which mostly consist of a race of Bio-mechanical ships that lurk at the edges of systems based on sci fi races such as the Shivans, Reapers and Shadows. For the most part they will leave players alone, but they can become active from player actions which can range from discovering a more powerful form of FTL to attempting the genocide of another race (NPC or player). Their ships will start off small but gradually increase in power and size. The only way they can permanently be defeated is by several players banding together to fight them but they probably will not be enough of a threat to cause that until later in the game.

So far I have made a map and 90% of a ship construction instructions and All of combat.

Ship building rules:
You start off with 5 slots for ship classes. They have the attributes of volume and mass.

Volume determines how easy it is to Target a ship and how many of one ship can fit inside a
carrier or station, Mass effects speed/acceleration.

Ships each have a number of blocks,
they act as the frame for pieces of equipment, weapons and modules.
At minimum a ship will have 4 blocks (fighter sized). Blocks will also count for mass and volume.
The more blocks there are the more mass and volume increases with each additional block.
There are Three types of blocks, Light Medium and Heavy, these determine the type of system available.
A heavy block can still hold a light item. In addition to holding a System they can also hold a sheet of
armor to protect the system.

Large ships also have an Overslot this is a block that is distributed throughout the ship and it can
have items such as a layer of armor covering all blocks, an auto repair system, a shield emitter etc.

You can refit ships to lose several blocks to gain a larger block that is meant only for a
certain weapon on a case by case basis. And vice versa, But there should be weapons that act as a
group of smaller weapons.

Space stations are made the same way as ships but do not need propulsion. They also get a bonus
to requests for changing light blocks to heavy blocks along with other systems.

Blocks(L/M/H/O)    Mass    Volume
Fighter/shuttle
   4  (4/0/0/0)     1        1
   5  (5/0/0/0)     2        2
   6  (5/1/0/0)     4        4
Frigate/destroyer
   7  (5/2/0/0)     8        10
   8  (4/4/0/1)     16       15
Cruiser
   9  (4/5/0/1)     30       20
   10 (3/7/0/1)     60       30
Small Battleship/carrier
   11 (2/8/1/2)     100      50
   12 (0/9/3/2)     200      70
Large
For ships over 12 blocks or over 3 Heavy blocks submit a description and weapons list.

Construction:
Submission form for creation of new ship class:
Name of new ship class: (Class here)
Block number: (number)
Equipment in each block
1L : (item)
2L : (item)
3L : (Weapon)
4L : (item)
etc
Calculated energy produced: (energy)
Calculated energy used: (energy)
Calculated mass: (Mass)
Calculated Volume: (volume)
Calculated Material Needed: (material)
Special Items needed: (material)
Calculated Production for construction: (Production)

Order form for construction :
Class of ship: (class)
Number: (amount)
Name(s): (name)(Smaller ships do not need to have names)
Total Cost: (cost)
Total Production required: (production)

Order for refit: (allows you to upgrade an outdated ship)
Name of ship/class: (name)
Number of ships to change: (number)
Block Changes:
Describe any special features such as filling it with exposives as a suicide ship, removing all
regular weapons to try and fit a single spinal railgun in, converting it into a spacestation etc.

Order for repair: (repair battle damage)
Name of ship/class: (name)
Number of ships to repair: (number)

Combat:
Combat is caused when two or more factions at war (or trying to start one) enter the same System. Each
player does a writeout of prebattle orders and preparations and pays the cost for the use of certain
items. Orders can range from just telling all ships to retreat, to describing specific targets to
attack, detailing allied ships to attack ships that attack their own capital ship, etc.
Both sides will fire simultaneously in a series of rounds until one side is destroyed or retreats.
Occasionally if a battle is big enough it can last long enough for new orders to be given by players.
Retreating can be determined by the player giving a threshold order of how much damage to sustain
before leaving or by the morale of the crew breaking.

Combat order:
Launch missiles/torpedoes: Use long range missiles first on both sides. This only happens once in the battle

Counter missile systems: Ships with the correct equipment can shoot down missiles.

Missiles hit: Missiles do damage based on specific capabilities.

Target weapons: All ships aim at each other, this is controlled by sensors.  A ship of volume 1-5 will require a roll of over 8 to be targeted, if a 8+8
is rolled and added to, that would mean that up to 2 fighters can be targeted. Target points can be
increased by ECM.
Volume       Target Points
1-5                8
6-40               4
41-80              2
81-                0
Fire Weapons: All ships fire their non missile weapons. In this stage some weapons will misfire based
on damage, or fail to fire due to lack of crew or power. The ships fire based on weapon type,
ship type and orders. For example a destroyer instructed to defend a carrier will shoot at fighters with
its light railguns and lasers and shoot at other destroyers with its medium guns.

Evade: Ships under 20 volume will attempt to dodge projectiles.

Acceleration     Points Deducted
1                     1
2                     1
3                     2
4                     2
5+                    3

Weapons hit: Weapons hit based on their individual stats and the volume of the target along with
equipment of the firing ship.

Blocks hit: Weapons do not damage the whole ship but hit individual parts. This is determined by a dX roll
based on the number of blocks. If there is an energy shield on the ship this will not matter.
Beam weapons,projectile stream and explosive weapons can hit multiple blocks in one shot.

Critical/Collateral Damage: Based on damage done to systems other systems can be damaged.

Items:
Standard: all players can use these at any time

Primitive Sensor

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 29, 2014, 04:41:40 pm »

Looks pretty good to me, though it's hard to tell how it would all go in practice, whether it would encourage or discourage certain doctrines of warfare, etc.

Just a simple request, but I made a similar-ish system(as in it's also about space and about ship construction and fighting and whatnot) a while back and posted it in here, and I'd like to know what you thought of it.

It's just right here, is all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 29, 2014, 05:00:29 pm »

Looks pretty good to me, though it's hard to tell how it would all go in practice, whether it would encourage or discourage certain doctrines of warfare, etc.

Just a simple request, but I made a similar-ish system(as in it's also about space and about ship construction and fighting and whatnot) a while back and posted it in here, and I'd like to know what you thought of it.

It's just right here, is all.

I like your system. I would guess this is more for a small fleet battle than a large battle though. It looks great for somesort of spacetrader game or a star trek style explorer game.

I didn't include range because that starts to make things confusing with large groups of ships. I am thinking that to make my game easier to start I can change the plot from building a space empire to playing as a nation on earth taking part in the defense of the solar system from an alien threat.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1421 on: July 29, 2014, 05:01:57 pm »

With regards to the ship building (the part I read) that looks absolutely fucking brilliant. A badass system.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 29, 2014, 05:04:00 pm »

Well, regardless, it looks pretty damn cool and i'd like to participate in it if and when you start it.

I would personally prefer competitive space empire game that has players jostling each other, but it's not a big deal.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 29, 2014, 05:20:14 pm »

Well, regardless, it looks pretty damn cool and i'd like to participate in it if and when you start it.

I would personally prefer competitive space empire game that has players jostling each other, but it's not a big deal.

I would like to do the competitive space empire since thats what the original boardgame is based on, but being able to have a smaller setting and a mostly PVE enviroment seems better for practice, plus since If I am running the aliens as the GM I can get alot more information on how the ship building and combat systems balance out.

Ill post more information once I type it through and Im glad you like the ship building system.

EDIT: also its going to look like space Xcom or Enders game
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:26:01 pm by mosshadow »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 29, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »

With regards to the ship building (the part I read) that looks absolutely fucking brilliant. A badass system.
I ran something similair one. The biggest problem is in balancing the part list.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 238