Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407634 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1395 on: July 23, 2014, 02:40:43 pm »

Ah, I didn't quite get it, I assumed that the bigger your karma the better.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 23, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »

Ah, I didn't quite get it, I assumed that the bigger your karma the better.
No, elves have high karma and they're terrible at doing anything.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 23, 2014, 02:42:42 pm »

Yeah. By the way, why are you having it function like that? Postiive integers rarely denote negative effects. It makes no real sense to do it like that yo.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 23, 2014, 02:45:18 pm »

Mostly cause if I did it the other way round someone would inevitably misread the word 'deducted.' Ah well, I'll probably change it in the final copy anyway. Assuming there ever is a final copy.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 23, 2014, 02:54:30 pm »

Might give it a more ominous name, like Causality or Sin.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:47 pm »

Mostly cause if I did it the other way round someone would inevitably misread the word 'deducted.' Ah well, I'll probably change it in the final copy anyway. Assuming there ever is a final copy.
It would certainly make more sense the other way, as negative karma is generally considered a bad thing.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 23, 2014, 04:26:43 pm »

A piece is a figure of importance, an empire, a location, or an artifact. it could be a powerful spell, or an ancient beats, or a god itself.
I want to create ancient beats so sick that anyone who hears them will contract some sort of divine plague.
Can I invest power in my beats to upgrade them to jams?

Ancient Bangers? I could form some sort of concept out of this...
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 23, 2014, 11:02:15 pm »

Might give it a more ominous name, like Causality or Sin.
Oooh!
If you call it Causality, you can invest extra power into producing events in the past! You know, before Piece A was [Ruined] by Event C, so that you can set up a legacy of a reincarnating hero or some such.

Such as "Before [The Kingdom of Hyrule] was [Ruined by [Ganondorf]], [The Hero of Time] reincarnated to rise against [Ganondorf]."

Followed by

"During the present, [The Hero of Time] [Ruined] [Ganondorf] and [Restored] the [[Ruined] Kingdom of Hyrule]."

The first event would cost around 15 power, because time travel, while the second would only cost 5 power or so.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 24, 2014, 07:42:37 am »

Hmmm. Well I wasn't intending to have events cost power, and just limit them to one per turn. However, the idea of spending power to add an event in the past sounds pretty interesting. It would add a certain amount of bookkeeping, but I think it'd be manageable.

I think the game would have to start with a theme setting round, where players answer a few questions, followed by a round in which every player gets to make a free piece, but otherwise, I think this is just about ready.

EDIT:Just realised that the theme would pretty much be determined by the pieces anyway.

DOUBLEDIT: Realised that the creation of pieces may as well be Events themselves, just ones that require power. Thus the players will now receive 2 events per turn, and it costs 5 power to create a piece within an event.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 07:55:15 am by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 24, 2014, 05:58:07 pm »

I had a thought for a suggestion game that I think could only be reasonably ran by freeformschooler (or at least his is the only excessively convoluted game I've seen on these boards.)  However, I'm fairly befuddled today, so this is going to be pretty rambly at best, and nondescript at worst.  Actually, the main premise can be summed up in a couple of words.  Time shenanigans.  "Players" would have "hammer-time," by which I mean to vaguely reference "hammer-space."  If anyone doesn't know what hammerspace is, it's an infinite extradimensional space always within reach that you can always draw exactly what you need from.  What I mean by hammer-time, besides the eventual pun, is that players would be able to select any point in the story that they've already passed and change any number of things in that scene (within the capabilities of the Player Character), and then the game master would update the "current" situation to reflect all the permutations resulting from that one change.  As an example, if the "players" were in a temple with a glowing green gem in a statue in the middle of the room, too high up to reach, and they ignored it to explore the temple, finding a secret passage underground with a sphinx that required the temple's gem, they can retcon the first scene so that they piled benches high enough to reach the gem and had always had the gem with them.

Huh.  Come to think of it, the effect might be better referenced as retcon.  I prefer hammer-time, at least for that pun, and retconning seems more like something at the GM's disposal rather than the "players'."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 26, 2014, 11:21:50 am »

So... I like Dark Souls [The first]... Anyone else Like Dark Souls the first? I was thinking of a DnD 3.5 Campaign of Dark Souls. Thoughts? Seems simple enough. Maybe have humanity and such work a bit differently or something. I Dunno. Just checking if there would be interest.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 26, 2014, 11:29:48 am »

There is always interest in D&D.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 26, 2014, 11:24:03 pm »

I like D&D. I also don't have any clue as to the premise of DS[1].

Therefore, I'm game.

Speaking of D&D, I was thinking of spending a day or so turning the SRD into open source Saloons & Sheriffs-- D20 Western.

Any interest in cowboy D&D? It'll make a nice (6th? 7th?) time killing project.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 26, 2014, 11:34:32 pm »

I'mma make a DnD game.

All I need to do is think of a plot, make a map, write up some nations and politics, decide on a rules set and power level, and type up the topic.

It will be set in a world where divinity is beginning to run rampant, and have a heavy religious bent, in the sense that gods and divine magic will probably be the most common supernatural element in the game in terms of plot purposes, rather than psionics, arcane, various outsiders, or That-Which-Should-Not-Be-Named. Though probably all of those except psionics will be present.

I know jack shit about psionics.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 26, 2014, 11:35:51 pm »

Would I be able to play as an Ogre Paladin?

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 238