Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407619 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1380 on: July 15, 2014, 05:04:33 pm »

Hey, what are you two whispering about?

RESERVING A SPOT FOR SRW RIGHT NOW.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 15, 2014, 05:09:30 pm »

Giant robot action, of course. Or lack thereof in the case of SEED. Actually, SEED had some good action stuff. It had an alternating plot/action episode thing going on so you barely saw any of it though. But that did not make up for the rest of the show. The characters I hated shut up Flay got way more screentime than the more likeable ones. Which disappoints me since I liked SRW J and SEED had some good moments there.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 16, 2014, 03:03:16 am »

Progress update on forum MOBA:

- I have some basic lore going on but it needs some extra fleshing out still

- I only have one character done mostly for general "testing" (as in trying to figure out a good template) purposes
- Characters have 8 stats (health, physical damage, special damage, physical armor, special armor, speed, initiative bonus), each of which can be increased by items
- Characters have a unique basic attack, two regular abilities and an ultimate ability - there are no secondary resources like mana (right now - some characters might be centered around having a unique resource but nothing in that regard)
- Characters start out with all their skills (ultimate included), and certain aspects of their skills scale with their stats

- Characters can hold up to 4 items which increase their stats and possibly provide other unique bonuses
- Items can be bought at the base with gold, which is gained passively each turn, collected from around the map and from killing enemy minions and heroes
- There's no crafting system - however, certain items can be bought multiple times (without taking up an extra slot), giving extra stats this way

- The main base splits up into 3 lanes (hallways/corridors), each containing two smaller chambers
-- Characters can use teleport pads at the base to teleport to their team's chambers
-- Chambers are guarded by two golems each (one ranged and one melee) which are confined to the area of the chambers
-- Chamber golems have relatively low health compared to towers in actual MOBAs, however once they're down to 0HP, they will revive themselves a few turns later
-- To prevent the golems from respawning, players have to destroy generators present in the corners of the chambers - each golem has their own generator that needs to be destroyed
-- The main base contains 4 golems with their own 4 generators - destroying the generators and enemy golems guarantees victory
--- Upon destroying a base golem, a bridge will rise, leading to a platform containing its appropriate generator

Spoiler: ASCII Imagery (click to show/hide)

(I may drop the special/physical damage split for the sake of simplicity though, among other things but I'm definitely open for ideas here.)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 16, 2014, 12:01:30 pm »

Just a quick hop in here... Get rid of the special/physical split. You have to keep an eye on a bunch of these numbers and you're bound to forget one. It's easier, quicker, and overall better [in my opinion] to make it just "Damage" and "Armor".] Speed and initiative bonus could also likely be merged into one.

Less stats = Less work = More enjoyment for the mod = More updates = More fun for the players.

At least that's my experience.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 16, 2014, 12:12:59 pm »

Possibly, but it does fulfill what I'd consider an important purpose- it lets some players be weak or strong to things without just being more or less powerful. A very well-armored tank might still be concerned about a mage in a way that they're just not over a warrior, even if they're of the same general strength.

Of course, this would make it borderline mandatory to have a mixed-damage team for exactly that reason, and the split damage attributes are perhaps of more concern. It's usually not going to be worth it to build both, which means at some point you might as well just give heroes and critters a Physical or Magic descriptor rather than worry about their exact values.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 17, 2014, 02:05:46 am »

The stats are fairly simple though:

Health - pretty self-explanatory.
Damage (renamed to power) - added as a percentage bonus to abilities and basic attacks, exact bonus percentages vary per skill. Split into physical and special.
Armor - an extra layer of health on top of one's regular health. Regenerates when out of combat for n turns. Split into physical and special, affecting physical and special attacks respectively.
Speed & Initiative - self-explanatory. (initiative rolls are based on a D6 roll [feel free to hate me for that] and the bonus initiative is added on top of that)

Depending on how I get around to the actions per turn (I'm thinking of 2 or 3 unique actions per turn, that being moving, using an ability/attack, using an item or interacting with something), you'll hardly be using all the stats at once. Even then, they're fairly simple to manage.

I've also made the map more compact to reduce the amount of rooms I need to draw in REXPaint, plus it makes things a bit more action-packed, so that's also a good thing.

I think all I need to do now is make some heroes (aiming at 6 for now, working on the second one) and some items to boot and I could start it pretty soon, I suppose.

(I know that my armor is kind of lame but should still makes tanks good at tanking.)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:13 pm »

So, would anyone be up for a worldbuilding game?

Brief rules summary below:
Spoiler: Basic rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pieces (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Events (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Karma (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Power (click to show/hide)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: July 23, 2014, 02:20:58 pm »

Seems interesting.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 23, 2014, 02:23:13 pm »

I believe someone did something like this with a map a while ago and was rather successful. I think it was nerjin?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 23, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »

A piece is a figure of importance, an empire, a location, or an artifact. it could be a powerful spell, or an ancient beats, or a god itself.
I want to create ancient beats so sick that anyone who hears them will contract some sort of divine plague.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 23, 2014, 02:26:01 pm »

A piece is a figure of importance, an empire, a location, or an artifact. it could be a powerful spell, or an ancient beats, or a god itself.
I want to create ancient beats so sick that anyone who hears them will contract some sort of divine plague.
Can I invest power in my beats to upgrade them to jams?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 23, 2014, 02:28:08 pm »

I tried something similarish with a map a while back, but it was becoming a touch of a hassle to manage because the rules let people interfere directly with the world - which lead to people messing with each others creations for no real reason other than that they didn't want the other player to make that. Hence the Karma system.

Can I invest power in my beats to upgrade them to jams?
10 power will up them into grooves.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 23, 2014, 02:30:29 pm »

And the final form is the rhythm divine.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:42 pm »

I don't think encouraging people to be dicks will be good for the game.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 23, 2014, 02:36:09 pm »

Encouraging them? Negative karma is good, as it's applied as a modifier to power cost.

Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 238