Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407681 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1320 on: July 07, 2014, 02:56:47 pm »

I'm feeling inspired right now. This idea is building in my head, just making me smile constantly.

Imagine an Uncharted-style adventure, in the 40K universe and using their rulesets.
Uncharted, for those who somehow haven't heard of it, is a videogame whose story follows Nathan Drake, adventurer/explorer/thief/smartass/graverobber, and his mismatched companions around the world on various quests for ancient lost treasure.
Along the way they gun down countless mooks who end up in their way for various reasons, platform their way across all manner of obstacles, narrowly avoid death in plenty of dramatic set pieces, and, bizarrely enough, continue cracking jokes for the entire game despite the bloody work they do.

Now, imagine a Dark Heresy party working for an Inquisitor with an unhealthy interest in the work of some long-dead Inquisitor/Cold Trader/other mysterious figure. Basically, they're following clues across either one planet or a whole space system, visiting exotic locales to search for clues as to the whereabouts of some lost treasure worth heaps of money and/or xenos artefact that desperately needs to be destroyed.

There are basically endless options for adventures and themes here, but I think it has great potential.
Puzzles, traps, exploration, knowledge rolls for the nerdy members of the group, plenty of combat with other factions after the treasure and, of course, plenty of explosions, floods, fires and what-not requiring the hapless acolytes to pass various agi checks to escape, Nathan Drake-style... or die an ignominious death without the handy ability to reload from the last checkpoint.

And who knows whether said acolytes are truly dedicated to the Imperium and their superiors, or whether the sheer value of the object(s) they seek will lure them from the path of duty, most likely tearing the party apart from within...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 07, 2014, 03:06:51 pm »

What do you mean by point-buy?
And I know what I'm gonna be doing all night.

I'm gonna go ahead and include a quick guide in the OP.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 07, 2014, 03:16:26 pm »

"Upon the High Seas" has entered sign-ups yo!
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 07, 2014, 03:59:10 pm »

Hmmm.

I want to run a DnD game, for reasons.

My only wonder, is what setting I should use, what ruleset I should use, and whether anyone would want to play. It would probably be a setting built around the gods growing in number at a ridiculous rate by this point and it's starting to fuck things up in the world. Or a setting in which there are but two gods, whose various aspects and forms are inverse and opposites to one another; Passive and Active dissimilarities, mostly.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 07, 2014, 04:37:51 pm »

Hmmm.

I want to run a DnD game, for reasons.

My only wonder, is what setting I should use, what ruleset I should use, and whether anyone would want to play. It would probably be a setting built around the gods growing in number at a ridiculous rate by this point and it's starting to fuck things up in the world. Or a setting in which there are but two gods, whose various aspects and forms are inverse and opposites to one another; Passive and Active dissimilarities, mostly.
If my character doesn't make it into Nerjin's game, and you choose 3.5, I'm going to apply to this one too.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 07, 2014, 05:20:41 pm »

I'm feeling inspired right now. This idea is building in my head, just making me smile constantly.

Imagine an Uncharted-style adventure, in the 40K universe and using their rulesets.
Uncharted, for those who somehow haven't heard of it, is a videogame whose story follows Nathan Drake, adventurer/explorer/thief/smartass/graverobber, and his mismatched companions around the world on various quests for ancient lost treasure.
Along the way they gun down countless mooks who end up in their way for various reasons, platform their way across all manner of obstacles, narrowly avoid death in plenty of dramatic set pieces, and, bizarrely enough, continue cracking jokes for the entire game despite the bloody work they do.

Now, imagine a Dark Heresy party working for an Inquisitor with an unhealthy interest in the work of some long-dead Inquisitor/Cold Trader/other mysterious figure. Basically, they're following clues across either one planet or a whole space system, visiting exotic locales to search for clues as to the whereabouts of some lost treasure worth heaps of money and/or xenos artefact that desperately needs to be destroyed.

There are basically endless options for adventures and themes here, but I think it has great potential.
Puzzles, traps, exploration, knowledge rolls for the nerdy members of the group, plenty of combat with other factions after the treasure and, of course, plenty of explosions, floods, fires and what-not requiring the hapless acolytes to pass various agi checks to escape, Nathan Drake-style... or die an ignominious death without the handy ability to reload from the last checkpoint.

And who knows whether said acolytes are truly dedicated to the Imperium and their superiors, or whether the sheer value of the object(s) they seek will lure them from the path of duty, most likely tearing the party apart from within...

I forgot to mention that whatever ancient civilization is responsible for the treasure/artefact the team is after had a habit of making huge, impractical temples/buildings/labyrinths solely for the purpose of fucking with anyone trying to find their stuff. Because PUZZLES.

Also gratuitous fight scenes, car chases and comical cultural misunderstandings.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 07, 2014, 09:33:59 pm »

Civil War: 23rd Regiment of the Damned
Son let me tell you a tale, the tale of the 2nd Safeguard Regiment, the Valiant Damned. A regiment made up of two thousand brave men, and women they were, it was the first night of the new year 1867 near the great bastion Philadelphia where the 2nd had taken up their places on the fortifications south of this great city. Their cannons sat in a row behind the double row of trenches covered in dirt, and mud just like the soldiers who manned the trenches below as the air filled with smoke and the sound of rifle and cannon fire. During the night before the undead hordes had come streaming forth from the south in numbers far superior to the small force, the 42nd was three days hard marching from Philadelphia, and the citizens of the bastion were hurriedly in the midst of evacuation but they would not be able to flee before the horde caught up.

Seeing this Colonel Vanburen order the 2nd to take up arms, and stand their ground against a foe that would surely overrun them for it was simply a matter of time before they began to reach the trenches. With fury in their hearts the soldiers of the 2nd fought hard, the air was filled with what seemed to be an endless torrent of cannon shells and musket balls as they fought like few had ever before, every man and woman there proved themselves a hero of this country that day. However there efforts weren't enough, eventually the ammo began to run low, and the gunfire dwindled but still Vanburen yelled, cursed, and spat at anyone and everyone who could here him urging them to hold their ground.

Fire, and fire again he said, fire until your shots runs out. When your shots runs out affix bayonets he said, take up post against the trench walls and stab, and cut until your blade or musket breaks. When they break claw, scratch, bite, punch, and kick them he said, fight them until you lay dying on the ground. And when you lay dying on the ground close your eyes, rest for your vigil has ended and the angels shall come to free you from being one of the Damned, let it all slip away knowing that you are the greatest hero the world has ever seen he said. And with that he fired his pistol's last shot, he drew his sword and he drew his saber, and as the gunfire began to quiet and the undead streamed into the trenches he raised that bloody sword high in the air.

'We are the 2nd Safeguard Regiment, the Valiant Damned! We lived as heroes, and will die as heroes. Affix bayonets, draw your knives, ready your fists, to you brave bastards I give my last command. Stand and die the Valiant Damned, be the heroes everyone of you truly are.'

With a flick of his sword he dove from his perch above the trenches, and those not already amidst the undead followed suit laying about them with a vengeance that will likely never be seen again. For many a soldier that was their last day, they died with courage in their hearts, and weapon in hand to defy our ultimate enemy. By the time the day drew to an end one hundred and twenty three of the Valiant Damned remained alive, not a one was the hero commander Colonel Vanburen, but everyone was a guardian angel who had saved the lives of many a person in the bastion of Philadelphia. They were the greatest soldiers the Damned will ever see in my opinion.

How do I know this you ask? Well that's quite simple son, I'm one of the last surviving members of the Valiant Damned, I tell you this tale because its something every man, woman, and child in the North must know. The 2nd may not exist anymore, but we do and we'll be damn sure to spread our tale before heading back out to follow our commander's last order, after we've spread our tale and we've given people hope for a better day through it we're going to finish our job. You might say we're crazy, but to many a man sacrificed themselves that day for us to ignore that final order that our brothers and sisters followed, we'll die sure enough but we'll do so screaming, and kicking to drag down every single one of those fuckers we can along with us. We're the Valiant Damned son, we'll show those ungodly monsters just what they've got themselves into, this is our land not theirs' and only death will answer their crimes.

---

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Started messing with this ruleset again, expanded on a few things and then decided to share that and right another story intro bit to the post so it wasn't only slightly more information than last time. Also yes I know barbed wire doesn't technically exist at the time this is based, fudging that ever so slightly :P

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 08, 2014, 12:37:25 pm »

I'm just going to float here that yet another Lone Isle game is in the works.

And by in the works, I mean I was gonna release it today, but DF 2014 and server deficiencies have delayed it. Currently just cutting down the textwall. Or trying to at least :D
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 08, 2014, 12:38:14 pm »

Woo!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 08, 2014, 01:14:48 pm »

Spoiler: snip (click to show/hide)

I forgot to mention that whatever ancient civilization is responsible for the treasure/artefact the team is after had a habit of making huge, impractical temples/buildings/labyrinths solely for the purpose of fucking with anyone trying to find their stuff. Because PUZZLES.

Also gratuitous fight scenes, car chases and comical cultural misunderstandings.
Great idea! An epic journey across the 40k verse is really using all the best parts of Warhammer. You should adopt an Uncharted style of plot writing, so you'd have an Ork bit, an Eldar bit, a Necromunda bit, etc. I'm excited for it, which I don't say that often about 40k games!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:20:36 pm by Fniff »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 08, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »

Psh. Playing more boring humans. Seems like every 40k game on the forums is based around the players being the Imperium(except the one Dark Crusade game). Which surprises me, why isn't there a "Yu iz da Warboss!" game?

I should probably just make a properly Orky game meself, if none o' ya grots 'll git to it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 08, 2014, 01:32:34 pm »

Seems to be because the humans are the only faction that can have any depth to them.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 08, 2014, 01:37:33 pm »

Psh. Playing more boring humans. Seems like every 40k game on the forums is based around the players being the Imperium(except the one Dark Crusade game). Which surprises me, why isn't there a "Yu iz da Warboss!" game?

I should probably just make a properly Orky game meself, if none o' ya grots 'll git to it.
Do it. Do it now. Or else.
And da Orks haf plenty o' depth to 'em. What yoo talkin' 'bout puny hoomie?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 08, 2014, 01:41:33 pm »

The people of the Inperium are theoretically capable of having more than one or two personalities.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:31 pm »

I would, actually, since it wouldn't require me to make incredibly overly elaborate systems of gameplay, if not for the 500 errors being flung about like confetti. I have a feeling starting a new thread would be incredibly difficult to do, with that.

An' call me puny again, ya git, an' I'll stomp ya! >:( I'z da boss here!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 238