Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407600 times)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #960 on: April 09, 2014, 07:13:04 am »

So do we currently have a Gladiator thing going on? I know a few have started and died. I've been thinking of trying to throw my hat into the ring of Gladiator games.
Not really, though I've been thingking of making a game based off of the final part of Bionicle. Mostly basing it off of the web games they released, since those work well enough as a base to build off of.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 09, 2014, 01:58:53 pm »

Essentially it's squad based with each battle taking place between 2 sides of 1-6 people. I'd handle all the direct combat while the players would worry about leveling and managing who fights who. Right now I'm thinking max Gladiator amount is based on how much fame the school has. Exciting fights [close ones] land fame while boring ones [One hit kills and the like] can lose fame.
One: You might want to give more thought as to what exactly a school is and how it improves or lessens. Is equipment or money a thing, for instance? What about influence beyond their fame score? Other than the whims of the dice, what determines if they succeed or fail?

Well right now... Schools have a couple of stats such as their Ranking, Fame, Money, Upkeep, and Lord Type. Basically, Ranking determines how the league views them, Fame is the publics view [results in more money due to increased audience size], Money is... money, Upkeep is the amount of money you lose a turn due to expenditures associated with running a school, and finally Lord Type determines the bonus your school gets [Increased Health Regeneration between turns, Increased Income, Increased Fame, etc. etc.]. That's all I have right now for that. It's very basic for now.

As for the whims of the dice thing: Each gladiator will have Personality and some will have Clauses. Personality would be something like "Hot Headed" which gives them a bonus to X or a deficit to Y. Clauses would be for higher up Gladiators which is basically something you have to do for them to keep fighting at peak strength. For example: Lortrec the Fighter has a Clause that he won't go into combat without a Acolyte on the team. Therefore if you have no Acolyte he simply won't be available for a fight. Stuff like that. Personality and Clauses are more recent additions so I'm not sure if they'll make it in the final product.

Another thing is that each gladiator has an experience amount. Once they gain enough experience they "Level Up" into a new unit type. Squire > Knight. However, taking [stealing?] an idea from the Disciples series [Heavy Influence] there are branching paths.
Two: You might want to map out what exactly each decision means. It can certainly be interesting to add knights and archers and cabalists and half-siren swashbucklers just because, but it can have unexpected design results. You might want to ask yourself what, aside from "be cool," a knight does or means. Is an all-knight team supposed to be strong against archers and weak against swordsmen? A really bad idea that should get stomped by anything? A hardy team that's slower but not any better or worse than any other composition?
[/quote]

Can do, Can do.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 09, 2014, 08:16:50 pm »

Here's the VERY basic points I have for school and unit stats. I may need to add more later on but... Right now I think it seems pretty decent.

Spoiler: School Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gladiator stats (click to show/hide)

[[There are roughly 27 personality traits. I'm still tweaking them a bit so I'm not gonna post them yet. ANy thoughts on the stats I have so far?]]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:19:22 pm by Nerjin »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 09, 2014, 09:04:59 pm »

I feel like you could trim some of those stats, or at least make them traits. Immune and Ward I'd say definitely only need to be listed if that unit has them, and you could also assume most fighters are medium sized make unusual sizes be their own trait.

Also, I don't really see why you need Revive Cost as a stat, as I would think would be something that would be dependent on what injuries they suffered or there would be a set amount of money to heal any character a certain amount or something like that. Frankly, it just seems weird to me that different people have a certain monetary value specific to them that's needed to heal them if they get critically injured.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 09, 2014, 09:16:42 pm »

I feel like you could trim some of those stats, or at least make them traits. Immune and Ward I'd say definitely only need to be listed if that unit has them, and you could also assume most fighters are medium sized make unusual sizes be their own trait.

Immunities and Wards are only going to be listed if they are part of that unit, same with armor and everything else. If you don't have it, it's not listed. There are only two sizes: Normal and Large. Normal takes up 1 space in the party, while Large takes 2. The size of the gladiator is dependant on their class so it's sorta stuck not being a trait [traits as in personality... by the way?

Also, I don't really see why you need Revive Cost as a stat, as I would think would be something that would be dependent on what injuries they suffered or there would be a set amount of money to heal any character a certain amount or something like that. Frankly, it just seems weird to me that different people have a certain monetary value specific to them that's needed to heal them if they get critically injured.

Because health is very basic. You pay more to heal/revive higher level units because they're more powerful so it makes hiring a lower level unit a bit more desireable if you lose a higher level one.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 10, 2014, 05:22:18 pm »

Spoiler: Battle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: League Types (click to show/hide)

[[This is the stuff I have so far on the Gladiator game… Thoughts? Sorry if I'm posting too often, I just want to make sure that I'm not making any HUGE mistakes.]]

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 10, 2014, 05:26:41 pm »

I'm sure it'll be great. Your games always are. That said I may want a spot in it.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 10, 2014, 05:28:25 pm »

Same.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 10, 2014, 06:19:25 pm »

Well the way it's shaping up I should be able to handle a near infinite amount of players. It shouldn't be too hard. It's pretty basic math and stuff... Hm...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 10, 2014, 06:20:05 pm »

Well the way it's shaping up I should be able to handle a near infinite amount of players. It shouldn't be too hard. It's pretty basic math and stuff... Hm...
The highest of follies.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 10, 2014, 06:59:16 pm »

Yeah, hence the "Hm..."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #972 on: April 10, 2014, 07:07:57 pm »

Well reserve me a spot too on the gladdy game if you go through with it.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 10, 2014, 07:10:58 pm »

Me too, Gladiatorism sounds fun.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 13, 2014, 08:33:00 am »

[[Here's a slightly updated draft of the rules. Any thoughts/additions? Furthermore, we're kinda just waiting on me to flavor the world and finish up some more units. I figure I can add more later on, but for now I'd like a pretty good roster.]]

Spoiler: The Turn (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: League Types (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:35:39 am by Nerjin »

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 238