Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407239 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #720 on: January 17, 2014, 05:55:09 pm »

Thinking of doing an IRC game. Anyone have any tips?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:40 pm »

Depends entirely on the sort of game.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 17, 2014, 06:20:56 pm »

Okay, it's a post-apocalyptic homebrew I was working on. Not sure if I should put it on Forum Games (Cos no-one seems to like IRCers here for some reason) and I'm not sure where to put it, since I've seen them in PWYB and Other Games.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 17, 2014, 06:24:21 pm »

IRC requires scheduling :P. Forum games are much easier to play.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 17, 2014, 06:29:38 pm »

Actually, with freeformers, you pretty much have to be there for hours or else you lose track of the RP. Comparatively, IRCs are easier to schedule since you don't have to do them every day.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 17, 2014, 06:30:45 pm »

That is true.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 17, 2014, 07:25:26 pm »

This current conversation is somewhat relevant to my interests since I've been considering running a Stars Without Number game recently, though I've been hoping to run in over voice chat (as first preference), though I don't know if I would get players who would be up for that. Possibly IRC would work, though I've found I have trouble keeping up with conversations when it gets busy on #bay12lb, though that might be because their are lots of different conversations going on at once. And I'm kinda wary of trying to run a PbP game again, though maybe having actual rules and not having ten players who are doing ten different things I need to respond to and having something like an update schedule would work.

So, to summarize, want to run a space game, would like to do voice chat (possibly with something like Roll20, I don't know), might be willing to do other methods if necessary. And I probably should gen up a sector to use for said game at some point.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 18, 2014, 09:16:04 am »

Re; the earlier idea. I've created/adapted a set of questions for people creating the 'forces' of their character. These forces can be anything from an evil cult, to an army of superhumans descended from you, to a shadow organization/spy agency plotting behind the scenes, to a scientific/research organization creating technological marvels. I think a few questions might help focus people's writing and consider more tidbits about their force - atleast I'd find it useful. The players would certainly not need to answer every question, and of course not to stick just to them, but it'd probably help.

What do I want from you? Look them over and tell me what you think and what you think is missing. The idea is to get something full, well-rounded created that lends itself well to plot hooks and characterization in-game.

Code: [Select]
[i]Consider questions these and more...[/i]

What is your force referred to as?
What are the origins of your force?
What is the purpose of your force? Does your force possess any secondary capabilities – for example, an intelligence wing of a military force, or the other way around?
How is your force organized?
What rules and laws does your force follow? What noteworthy traditions, customs or central beliefs/philosophy do they have?
What attitudes does your force have towards common humans (regular armed forces, colonists, the Lord Regent, etc.)? What is their attitude towards other superhumans and their forces?
Does your force possess anything of unique value – a powerful weapon, experimental technology, a library of forbidden lore, etc.?
What are you to the force – a living god, a respected or feared leader, a parental figure, their first among equals, etc.?
Are there any specific symbols, insignia, mottoes, et cetera associated with your force?
Any specific uniform, appearance, equipment unique to your force?

I adapted these from a Mage Council idea - might've posted the original questions here. It just goes to show this kind of thing is useful to any game where you're creating an organization/civilization/army/etc., so feel free to add and adapt it to your uses.

So, yes, if you can think of any other questions or have any critique of the ones there, please do tell.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:58:04 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 18, 2014, 02:06:13 pm »

Looks pretty good but...
Maybe a question about how the force is treated by you?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 19, 2014, 12:03:05 pm »

Looks pretty good but...
Maybe a question about how the force is treated by you?

I dunno - it goes under 'what are you to the force', most likely, and otherwise it's going to come clear through your actions in actual gameplay. Of course if your treatment of the force before the present moment has been 'stalk and kill them in the hallways', that's probably something I should work into their characterization before the start of the game.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 19, 2014, 12:08:07 pm »

Whenever i make a game it is an RPG and has a story - so i go and work on the story for a bit before i remember:

Any game, however carefully crafted, will not survive first contact with the Bay12Forums ...
It happened every single time - from trying their hardest to start fights with plot important NPCs to running away from interesting places and sometimes even collectively ignoring game mechanics.
... I wouldn't be on this site if that didn't sound like fun to me.

So, i am working on the next game:
Suggestion game coming next Month.
Complex magic system based on MTG
general Fantasy world.
Skill system 'based' on D20.
Story almost fleshed out.

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 21, 2014, 04:44:18 pm »

Alright, so I've been tossing around a new idea for a game. Basically, the mechanics of the game would be created as the game itself progressed. So, for example, the first time someone tried to jump, a framework for how jumping works would be defined, to be used any time someone else tried to jump, barring extenuating circumstances, which would again be defined. Sort of an organic pen-and-paper experience.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #732 on: January 28, 2014, 07:18:10 pm »

I want to make a game about a person who has a giant backpack.

Spoiler: Like This (click to show/hide)

If someone can give me an idea for a story I'll make it.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 28, 2014, 07:19:35 pm »

A mercantile based game where you must build up your medieval merchant empire from the ground up?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 28, 2014, 07:21:36 pm »

You are a wayward hobbit adventurer traveling through the Abyssal Caves in search of the King of Trolls, that you may kill him and bring his head back to the Duke of the Abyss in exchange for limitless carrying capacity.

Based on a weird dream I had about carrying a Bag of Holding that led to the Walmart pocket dimension.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 238