Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407020 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #600 on: September 08, 2013, 09:54:57 am »

Alright I had an idea in the shower today and I decided to post it because I liked the thought.

So if you have read the inheritance cycle you'll know about the fact that the place it takes place in is perfect for an RPG. This is that RPG. The game is going to be pretty free in what people can do because I don't have a full blown plot for it, so for example you could have someone helping peasants and improving the general living conditions in Alagaësia and on the other side of the continent someone is becoming Galbatorix 2.0.  I will probably start it if people want it. Also it will take place years after the last book so depending on what people want in terms of what's happened I can change plot accordingly.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 08, 2013, 11:54:31 am »

I found that after the midway point of the third book that series went downhill faster than a 90 degree drop. BUT that being said I wouldn't be adverse to playing the game.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 08, 2013, 11:55:58 am »

I found that after the midway point of the third book that series went downhill faster than a 90 degree drop. BUT that being said I wouldn't be adverse to playing the game.
Indeed.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 08, 2013, 12:32:22 pm »

I am not good at isometry.

So this is basically a simple representation of depth in an underwater tile grid, taking into account the earlier advice. Players would have a theoretically-limitless range of vertical movement, assuming no artificial limits (ceilings, surfaces, arbitrary rules). Terrain features would be fairly easy to add and represent - after all, we don't need complicated ground tiles for ocean floors. Just a simple textured grid (not shown).

Any other ideas for improving this idea and making it more underwater-y?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 08, 2013, 12:33:45 pm »

Currents?
It's FEF, not FEOF

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 08, 2013, 12:41:15 pm »

Currents?

Ooh, I like it.

A potential difficulty would be representing 3D currents - I may just stick with only showing whichever ones are currently relevant (as with depth projection).

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 08, 2013, 12:44:21 pm »

Perhaps as you go lower into the depths, debris obscuring your vision/the darkness could come into play, giving accuracy penalties to those who don't have flashlights and such?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 08, 2013, 12:58:47 pm »

Perhaps as you go lower into the depths, debris obscuring your vision/the darkness could come into play, giving accuracy penalties to those who don't have flashlights and such?

Lighting/LoS is a source of trouble. The most I've ever fiddled with is fog of war-style view reduction. Anything else might be tricky on an isometric grid. That said, it could be fun for exploring an underwater ruin or similar.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 08, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »

Maybe certain underwater hazards, like forgotten underwater mines?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 08, 2013, 01:04:31 pm »

Perhaps sounds could be incorperated as well? Have them be a Cataclysm style "???" circle in the general area of whatever made the sound.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 08, 2013, 11:27:53 pm »

Those of you who follow Rollers Block may recognize this as the sixth incarnation of a grand strategy game that I've been poking at forever. It has long outstripped its RTD roots, so I figured this was an appropriate time to kick it up a forum.

Spoiler: Players/Waitlist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The World (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Patrician Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Patrician Action (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Improvement Slots (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sample Starting House (click to show/hide)

I'm actually kinda happy with this for a change, though Characters and their acquisition/attributes needs to be expanded a bit, and I'd like to make Regions a little more interesting in terms of terrain. And usually every time I poke at this, I later decide I hate the combat and do everything over, but hopefully that won't happen this time.

Feedback appreciated!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 09, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »

I'm going to ignore Fniff's treacherous schism and use this thread to ask if people would be interesting in a Fate Core game. The game can be downloaded here at a pay-what-you-like rate, which can be nothing if your financial situation requires it (though if you have access to spare electronically-transferable monies, it wouldn't hurt to donate to support the people who made this game).

So now, can I get a show of support from people who'd like to play a game of this?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 09, 2013, 06:35:20 pm »

I have Fate CORE but do not have the time or mind to GM it. Would definitely be interested, though.

As an RP-heavy TTRPG, it would a pretty big time investment, though. What's the longest game you've run?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 09, 2013, 07:10:31 pm »

I haven't yet gotten to run or play in any Fate game. And I'm a bit nervous about it since I don't know how well it can be played over the internet. I'm worried the necessary back-and-forth player-DM interaction inherent in the game could slow down PbP, and I'm not a fast typist, so IRC might not work out much better.

Though the health system is such that it shouldn't be a slogfest like D&D; I've seen a couple of blog posts that compare the combat system to something like a game of chicken. So in some respects it should work better than a lot of other published games for PbP; maybe not as well as games specifically made for PbP, but to get that you usually have to create your own system from scratch, and I've never been any good at that.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2013, 07:20:06 pm »

FATE isn't combat-centric, so even if it did slow down PbP, it wouldn't come up very often. Unless you wanted it to. The combat system isn't exactly interesting enough to build the game around, though.

The kind of excellent writing you did with IGYNPADCA RPG would be perfect for a FATE game, come to think of it.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 238