Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406985 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #585 on: August 20, 2013, 10:52:31 pm »

Except for the last one. The implication there is that I, you know, actually want to DM a bit. With mechanics and stuff. Crazy!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 20, 2013, 10:53:23 pm »

Well most of my games sorta fit that but... I suppose a "City Builder" like Finsterforst wouldn't be too hard to do. Granted I don't really know.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 20, 2013, 11:13:18 pm »

So guys. Homework is already killing me. Also regular work. What's a type of forum game that I can run that

1) Is primarily text based
2) Can be updated in less than 2 hours a day (don't worry I write fast)
3) Doesn't require long-term or constant commitment
4) Doesn't require a lot of bookkeeping
4) Is still pretty interesting and not flat-out a minimalist RTD or something like that?

Define "Is still pretty interesting."

If you want it to be mechanically interesting, well, that's a tricky one, since the more complex things get the more bookkeeping and update speed get affected. You can cut down on things a bit if you do something with a well established mechanical verse since that will require you to think about it less, and more importantly, if the players have prior knowledge of the mechanics they won't waste (as much) time asking you questions about edge cases. So like, Pokemon suggestion game? The only other route I can think of would be to invent a game system that meets your criteria, which would basically imply a non-minimalist RTD.

If you're willing to let things be interesting in terms of just storytelling, you can let the mechanics devolve to a narrative "you can do this/you can't do this" place based on a couple stats/established facts and just focus on telling a story or exploring a setting in a TSG (basically what I'm doing in You are Necromancer.) Of course, that just shifts the work from preparing mechanics to play with to preparing characters/places to interact with.

Also, The Stupendous Sojourn of Slog the Slime: A Prequel Story

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 20, 2013, 11:14:52 pm »

hohoho i already have my magnificent solution [posted]

Great suggestions though thx

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 21, 2013, 06:34:36 am »

I would play that regardless, but I'm about to sleep so I'll hold off advice till the mor.
Okay, I going to question making healing magic part of the triangles, but other then that, seem good(Would like split promotion, but I'm not going to hold that against you).
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 21, 2013, 06:38:06 am »

I would play that regardless, but I'm about to sleep so I'll hold off advice till the mor.
Okay, I going to question making healing magic part of the triangles, but other then that, seem good(Would like split promotion, but I'm not going to hold that against you).

Well it's part of the triangle because of what it has in the A-Ranks spells. Logical extremes and such.

What do you by split promotions? I have it set up so each starting class has two options.
It's FEF, not FEOF

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 21, 2013, 06:40:51 am »

Well it's part of the triangle because of what it has in the A-Ranks spells. Logical extremes and such.

What do you by split promotions? I have it set up so each starting class has two options.
Huh? Oh, never mind, I misread it, you did them, I'm stupid.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 22, 2013, 10:46:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Okay, so I came up with a few mechanics for skills and rolls. If anyone wants to borrow them, go right ahead, just give me credit. The skills come from an RP idea I had, so there is a bias towards combat skills. Feel free to critique.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #593 on: August 23, 2013, 07:29:06 pm »

So guys. Homework is already killing me. Also regular work. What's a type of forum game that I can run that

1) Is primarily text based
2) Can be updated in less than 2 hours a day (don't worry I write fast)
3) Doesn't require long-term or constant commitment
4) Doesn't require a lot of bookkeeping
4) Is still pretty interesting and not flat-out a minimalist RTD or something like that?
I hate numbers (but I learned to like math recently actually) so basically all my games are like that. I also hate inventory management so I usually just go with something like: Health, Items, Weapon(s) for inventories.

1st post after being gone and not touching a computer for about 25 days BTW. Feels fucking awesome to be back.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 24, 2013, 11:42:08 pm »

It's been a while since I mentioned it, but I'm starting up that Party Quest idea I had before.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 07, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »

So. Question for future use. How would one best represent underwater, tile-based combat in a forum game?

Note the question is not "represent" but "best represent." I can do 3d, isometric, text-based, pretty much anything. How do we handle elevation, or do we need to? What game mechanics would make it cool and not just fighting but with a water backdrop?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 07, 2013, 09:48:34 pm »

So. Question for future use. How would one best represent underwater, tile-based combat in a forum game?

Note the question is not "represent" but "best represent." I can do 3d, isometric, text-based, pretty much anything. How do we handle elevation, or do we need to? What game mechanics would make it cool and not just fighting but with a water backdrop?
3D Animation would of course be the best way to graphically represent it :P. Realistically, I'd say an isometric slice view similar to DF would be best. Having three dimensions of movement is a must for underwater action.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 07, 2013, 10:06:02 pm »

How deep is the water we're talking about? DF-style slices is probably the best way to go about it if it isn't open-ocean; something like Surface/Middle/Bottom would be adequate for shallower combats, corresponding to Melee/Mid/Long ranges for weapons and such. If it's deeper... then it really depends on the scale of the battle, I suppose. If two forces are just going to blast away until somebody is dead, then you just need enough vertical slices to match the engagement ranges you usually use in horizontal battles, but if one side is in a running battle or can strike/influence the battle from farther away, then you have to account for that happening in any given direction. Off the top of my head, if one weak side flees by swimming straight up and dropping bombs or something that drop back down on pursuers/the rest of the battle.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 07, 2013, 10:13:15 pm »

Depth would probably be abstracted to at least a Melee/Medium/Long thing, but I'd still need to represent it. This would stack with whatever range/movement system was already present in 2D land combat.

Oh, for reference: this is for a system that isn't breathing-agnostic. So the characters could totally be normal people who were holding their breath or chewing magic air gum. They might also be mermaids. I'm not sure if having an air counter is interesting in this scenario or just needless busywork, but Breath Bubbles ala the sonic the hedgehog games could be fun.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:14:49 pm by freeformschooler »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:54 pm »

Also you will probably need to account for speed reduction.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 238