Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407203 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #390 on: July 12, 2013, 05:38:07 pm »

I think there definitely needs to be rules of some kind in place, as well as a way to determine success, since we are not omnipotent.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 12, 2013, 05:44:25 pm »

I think you have to have faith in humanity. The people who play like that aren't fun to play around, and I don't think I've honestly seen many of them in the forum. I'm fine with my characters dying, as long as I can make new ones and keep playing. If I can't, or if I have to wait to do so, I'm more careful, but godmoding isn't enjoyable for anyone. In most cases, that includes the godmoder. If someone decides to godmode, ask them politely to stop. If they stop, good. If they ignore you, PM them. If they answer rudely, they aren't going to play anymore. If the PM doesn't work, they aren't going to play anymore.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 12, 2013, 05:48:11 pm »

And another thing, what if the players aren't fighting? What if one player's hacking into another player's computer? Does that count as fighting or is it an instant win?

I wouldn't know that they were doing that. Also if that did happen then the hacker would probably win and lose and the same time.

I think there definitely needs to be rules of some kind in place, as well as a way to determine success, since we are not omnipotent.

I am working on them, and I'm coming up with a decent way for you all to be able to meet up. Spoiler, the answer is portals.

I think you have to have faith in humanity. The people who play like that aren't fun to play around, and I don't think I've honestly seen many of them in the forum. I'm fine with my characters dying, as long as I can make new ones and keep playing. If I can't, or if I have to wait to do so, I'm more careful, but godmoding isn't enjoyable for anyone. In most cases, that includes the godmoder. If someone decides to godmode, ask them politely to stop. If they stop, good. If they ignore you, PM them. If they answer rudely, they aren't going to play anymore. If the PM doesn't work, they aren't going to play anymore.

Thank you!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 12, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »

The people who play like that aren't fun to play around, and I don't think I've honestly seen many of them in the forum.

I have before. And by before I mean every single freeform or mostly freeform RP on the forum.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2013, 05:51:13 pm »

Then you deal with them, rather than being afraid to even try because you think they'll ruin it. If the GM has the patience and the willingness to deal with it, it can be resolved.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 12, 2013, 05:52:14 pm »

Without any kind of structure, even good players fall to the lure of bad roleplaying. On this forum, people don't flat out godmod. It's a slow buildup of stupid shit, until people get angry and stop playing. Don't think people on here are better than the average person on the internet, because we're not.

If there aren't any rules or mechanics, there's nothing to keep players in check. Even the best players are wild and unpredictable, and a set of rules helps them realize their character's limitations.

If you think your freeform rp is going to magically be better than all of the other ones, and work because of X reason, then you're pretty naive. Either it'll die out fast, or turn into a godless abomination that any sensible person will flee from with disgust. Both have happened, and the latter happens plenty of times. But hey, we're just the people who were initially involved in the whole freeform RP craze that went on awhile back, so who cares.

Then you deal with them, rather than being afraid to even try because you think they'll ruin it. If the GM has the patience and the willingness to deal with it, it can be resolved.
How do you deal with it if everyone is doing it?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 12, 2013, 05:53:11 pm »

Nice assuming I'm afraid to try. I've dealt plenty with this horseshit in the past. Often even fixed it myself, but not before days and days of people trying to ruin a good story other people are building and pretending nothing's wrong when anyone asks why.

How do you deal with it if everyone is doing it?

"Everyone" is an exaggeration but not too big of one.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 12, 2013, 05:53:36 pm »

Yeah... you can say as much as you want about "believing in humanity" and how godmodders will stop once you ask them politely, but that's not how it goes. I've PMed a godmodder to stop, and I did it as politely as I could, but they didn't. And I actually had to shut down that RP they were in because looking at it actively frustrated me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:55:45 pm by Fniff »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 12, 2013, 05:56:29 pm »

alright guys I think that's enough beating up on the poor guy. Your point has been made.
It's FEF, not FEOF

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 12, 2013, 05:58:05 pm »

No please keep going, but if you do keep going please start suggesting rules and such to help.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 12, 2013, 05:58:51 pm »

Not assuming you're afraid to try. That was a poor choice of words(though there aren't many better ones). I'm saying you're suggesting he shouldn't do X, because Y could happen.

You don't expect it to magically be better. You work at it, to force it to be better.

If everyone's doing it, then that's what it is, and it's fine. You watch, deal with anyone who's getting overly upset or otherwise truly ruining the game, and see where things go.

As for PMing the guy, then at that point, I would have involved a moderator. He's not respecting the game, you, or the other forum-goers. Report him, and ask people to ignore him as long as he acts that way. If you don't have faith in people, there's no point in starting any sort of RP whatsoever. If you don't have leeway, same thing.

I'd suggest just making rules as needed. Sounds dumb, but really, just see where it goes. It's an experiment, after all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 12, 2013, 06:04:34 pm »

If a type of bridge design falls apart 90% of the time, should you stop making that kind of bridge and use another type, or should you remake it but promise to iron out the faults as time goes on?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 12, 2013, 06:08:59 pm »

"Past results do not guarantee future performance."

Not that I'm a freeform RP guy, but I don't see what's wrong with somebody saying they'll try it. If you think it'll be a flaming wreck, then don't post in it. It's literally the easiest thing in the world to not play a game. He's been thoroughly appraised of the risks, and there's no particular need to get vehement about it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 12, 2013, 06:10:01 pm »

Sadly, that's a poor analogy, though I understand what you're going for. A better one would be this:

You have several designs of train. The first goes 120 mph, and can carry 5000 tons. The second goes 160 mp, and can carry 3000 tons. The third goes 60 mph, but carries 20,000 tons. Now, the catch is, the third one breaks down quite often. Does this mean it never gets used? No. It means it has a team of qualified engineers ready for it.

Aka; A freeform RPG can do things other RPGs cannot, by virtue of being freeform, even if it can commonly fireball.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 12, 2013, 06:15:18 pm »

I'd suggest just making rules as needed. Sounds dumb, but really, just see where it goes. It's an experiment, after all.
This. You can tailor your rules to your specific game and players. If a situation comes up, make a judgement on how it's resolved. Whenever that same situation comes up again, refer to your previously made rule.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 238