Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407257 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #345 on: July 10, 2013, 11:59:35 pm »

Don't forget strength, fragility, flexibility, and special abilities related to their construction/and or legendariness. And speed.
Yeah yeah, whatever. As long as they all come together to make an interesting system that I can use to build awesome swords so I can make a badass game.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 11, 2013, 12:01:07 am »

You forgot combining the swords! If you have a game with a lot of collecting things you should let people combine them to make even better things.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 11, 2013, 12:01:58 am »

As an alternative to stats, abstract everything. Damage is based on how well the sword would cut if you really swung it, then you throw in its special properties.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what you meant.
Run some complicated formulas to determine what swinging a sword with the amount of force the character is swinging it with at the angle the character is swinging it would do to a target approximating the enemy faced moving as the enemy is. You now know what the stroke would do in real life. Now just inflict the real injury on the enemy. This is incredibly complicated, but there are no stats necessary and the game is as realistic as possible.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #348 on: July 11, 2013, 12:03:50 am »

As an alternative to stats, abstract everything. Damage is based on how well the sword would cut if you really swung it, then you throw in its special properties.
Run some complicated formulas to determine what swinging a sword with the amount of force the character is swinging it with at the angle the character is swinging it would do to a target approximating the enemy faced moving as the enemy is. You now know what the stroke would do in real life. Now just inflict the real injury on the enemy. This is incredibly complicated, but there are no stats necessary and the game is as realistic as possible.
I never said I wanted it to be realistic, I just want it to be arbitrary and fun! That just sounds overly complex and hard, and not fun. :C

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #349 on: July 11, 2013, 12:04:37 am »

You forgot combining the swords! If you have a game with a lot of collecting things you should let people combine them to make even better things.
Awesome. *scribble scribble* Now what about the base stat system? Thats the most important part. I can tack all that junk on afterward.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 11, 2013, 12:05:41 am »

What difficulties are you actually having with the stat system? I could whip you up a system for strategic silly sword combat pretty easily, but I'd need to know the context (how quick battles should be, whether you want to use a tile-like grid/some other kind of map or merely descriptions, that kind of thing).

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 11, 2013, 12:07:38 am »

I never said I wanted it to be realistic, I just want it to be arbitrary and fun! That just sounds overly complex and hard, and not fun. :C
It's what I'm using for my realism RPG experience. It's rather inappropriate, but it's something to keep in mind if you really want to avoid arbitrary systems.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 11, 2013, 12:07:48 am »

Let's start with the mook fighting bit to start on the swords strength. The strength should be sharpness times weight minus mook armor.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #353 on: July 11, 2013, 12:14:14 am »

What difficulties are you actually having with the stat system? I could whip you up a system for strategic silly sword combat pretty easily, but I'd need to know the context (how quick battles should be, whether you want to use a tile-like grid/some other kind of map or merely descriptions, that kind of thing).
I just never used stats much, so id esti inexperienced and not good at imagining them on my own. I've used tons of different systems before though while experimenting, so understanding whatever you can come up with won't be a problem.

No grid or map. Group battles (12 or more foes, I'm thinking) would be 3-5 turns if you were ready for it, and a tough boss fight could be 7~ turns easily.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 11, 2013, 12:15:40 am »

No grid or map. Group battles (12 or more foes, I'm thinking) would be 3-5 turns if you were ready for it, and a tough boss fight could be 7~ turns easily.

Hmm. That's a tough combination (many foes, strategic combat, no map), but only because it's one I haven't done before. I'll look into it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #355 on: July 11, 2013, 12:18:32 am »

Hmm. That's a tough combination (many foes, strategic combat, no map), but only because it's one I haven't done before. I'll look into it.
You welcome the challenge. You relish it.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 11, 2013, 01:25:18 am »

Alright, I'm going with a sort of freeform research system, but I've encountered a problem. How do i make a good map? If it's hexes then ordering units will be hard, and If it's MSpaint then it's the same problem.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 11, 2013, 01:29:04 am »

Squares are the way of the future.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #358 on: July 11, 2013, 02:44:46 am »

Alright, I'm going with a sort of freeform research system, but I've encountered a problem. How do i make a good map? If it's hexes then ordering units will be hard, and If it's MSpaint then it's the same problem.
Maptool is free. Grids are the way to go.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 11, 2013, 04:11:08 am »

ASCIIDraw is chill and dependable. It's rectangles all the way.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 238