Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406906 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »

I do that already though >_>
It's FEF, not FEOF

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 11, 2013, 12:48:13 pm »

Spoiler: Relevant (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: My lord... (click to show/hide)

I just peed a little

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 11, 2013, 07:23:39 pm »

So last night I finished reading through the rules for Stars Without Number. It's an Old School Renaissance-inspired rpg made for easily running sandbox games in space. You can download the rules here for free.

I'm planning to run a game of it sometime in the near future, though I'm not sure if I want to run it on a virtual tabletop program of some kind (like maptools or roll20) or PbP (does Obsidian Portal have a built in diceroller? Or is there something like that that has such a thing?). I also haven't genned up a sector yet (SWN has tools that allow you to roll up a sector full of worlds with various built-in plot hooks).

I do have a few ideas for extra plot hooks and stuff, most of which I can't share without ruining them. There is one thing I think I can safely disclose:

So the way the game works is, starting level characters ;have no hope of affording any of the spaceships listed in the equipment section. The game recommends that PCs by some means or another should be given access to some sort of space travel sometime during or after their first adventure. This can be berthing with a merchant ship or gaining access to a small starship of their own.

My idea is to go the second way, and give the PCs access to something I call the party boat, tentatively titled the "S.S. Good Times" (will take any better suggestions). The idea is that it has extended life support (so that you can have a lot of people on board) and custom fittings of a cocktail bar (which, like the Armory fitting, is always fully stocked) and a pool. It's owned by some rich guy who really likes to party, and by some means or another might end up in the possession of the PCs.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 11, 2013, 07:45:43 pm »

You need a name for something that doesn't sound like something a rapist would use?
I think just calling it the Normandy or something would be good. Or try looking for a name generator. Also this interests me do make it.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2013, 06:26:34 pm »

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a sort of freeform RPG game, and I'll need a setting. Therefore I ask, "What period should I set this in?"

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm »

freeform
Prepare for it to die after ten pages, or to go on as a hulking abomination of all that is holy for hundred pages.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2013, 06:53:55 pm »

Medieval.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2013, 07:03:28 pm »

freeform
Prepare for it to die after ten pages, or to go on as a hulking abomination of all that is holy for hundred pages.
And also expect it to have a lot of players who simply murder everything in their sights/do blatantly overpowered things.

Freeform RPs really don't work all that well. The drop-in drop-out thing combined with the fact you can do anything just isn't a really good combination. Roleplays need rules or else it just attracts one-upping.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2013, 07:07:51 pm »

freeform
And also expect it to have a lot of players who simply murder everything in their sights/do blatantly overpowered things.

Freeform RPs really don't work all that well. The drop-in drop-out thing combined with the fact you can do anything just isn't a really good combination. Roleplays need rules or else it just attracts one-upping.
By freeform I am talking more about the plot, actually. I'm working on rules for the actual mechanics.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2013, 07:10:56 pm »

That's good. Freeform RPs have worked once or twice, but generally they tend to just go off the rails. Though if you do get any players that think this is a total freeformer and try to murder everything in sight, just tell them to stop it. If they don't, maybe have a few conquences for them... Anyway, I suggest Africa, in 1880. The players could be colonialists heading into darkest Africa as part of the Rush for Africa.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2013, 09:46:01 pm »

freeform

By freeform I am talking more about the plot, actually. I'm working on rules for the actual mechanics.
So you actually mean sandbox, then?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2013, 09:50:32 pm »

freeform

So you actually mean sandbox, then?
My sandbox has no form factor...

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »

I just thought of a game. In it the players make an avatar type persona, you know it has it's own likes and dislikes that you may or may not share, personality, and things like that. Then the GM posts a prompt and the players write to that prompt using their avatars. But the twist is that the player is there with them as they do the thing and you write from your point of view. So say the prompt is 'Your avatar drives to McDonald's for the first time.' you write a story from your point of view of them going to McDonald's for the first time.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2013, 11:24:43 pm »

Sounds like something I might play.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2013, 02:58:48 pm »

Alright, I've got a stylistic question I'd like some input on!

I'm currently in the planning stages of a dialogue-heavy suggestion game. It's a game I feel will be served well by images; since I can't draw, I plan to rely on photos. Ideally, everyone will get their own little portrait for delivering their dialogue. This shouldn't be a big deal since most of the characters are pigeons, so suitable images should be readily available.

However, this route means that the main character needs a portrait as well, and she's not a pigeon; she's a human. I'm not sure how to handle her dialogue.

Option 1: Her portrait is a photo like all the pigeons; this means I need to find a picture of somebody to use, which is... unsatisfactory. It would mean that the main character is an actual person, which is weird in its own right, especially if the picture is somebody famous (as is likely the case, as readily-available pictures of good quality are most likely to be celebrities of some kind.) I like this option the least, and include it mostly to show I've considered the idea.

Option 2: Her portrait is a photo exactly like all the pigeons; namely, she's a human in the game, but her picture is a bird. Justifiable given the setting, but I think it's quite likely players will forget she's actually human, which is plot-significant. I'd like this option, otherwise.

Option 3: Her portrait is a cartoon. If it's a cartoon somebody else drew then I still have a fair bit of grunt work to find a suitable portrait, and if it's one I draw myself it'll be shit. It also creates stylistic dissonance, as everything else in the game will also be photoshoops.

Option 4: Her portrait is a symbol, and not actually an image of herself. It dodges most of the aforementioned problems, but it means I won't be able to insert her portrait into any scenes (necessarily making each scene a literal Point of View shot) and it begs the question of what symbol would be appropriate for the player character.

Option 5: Ditch dialogue boxes entirely. Use the portraits of the characters to establish a scene, then resort to typical TSG dialogue techniques. I prefer having images throughout each post if I'm going that route and using them for reaction shots and the like, as this option is basically "TSG with a couple pictures"

I've been bouncing back and forth between 4 and 5, but I thought I'd poll the creative people in here for better ideas. I'm still working on the timeline, so I've got time before I have to make a decision one way or another. So, what would you people do?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 238