Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406887 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2013, 09:03:13 am »

Here's a solution to the whole "You're dead now, suggestion game over" thing.

You play as a zombie who can constantly resurrect. However, the problem is if you die, you lose everything since your stuff has been looted, and if you die enough times there is the potential that you will start losing limbs and need to recover them.

Or the resurrected zombie of the original character. I like the Quest for Limbs idea though. That could be a suggestion game in itself: You Are a Zombie Head.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2013, 09:06:19 am »

Hell, you might not even need to find your own limbs if you die. You could just rip and replace from your enemies once you kill them. Hell, that could grant different bonuses! Imagine how the PC would look by the end of the suggestion game!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2013, 09:18:47 am »

You'd probably have to start small: things you could trap and tear off with your zombie teeth.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2013, 11:52:40 am »

I'm trying to come up with sanity effects for a game. Does anyone else have any ideas? Here's how sanity would work in my game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2013, 12:13:07 pm »

I think that at about half sanity they see things out the corner of their eye, or the get bad feelings about things. At really low sanity they start seeing things like death and violence start hearing whispers of the dead asking them why they didn't help and begin sobbing. Or you can read creepypasta for more thing that people are likely to do when they experience things that make them feel guilt.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2013, 12:17:51 pm »

I was thinking of that (With actual PTSD syndromes, like seeing dead bodies everywhere), but I'd like a few sanity effects that have effects on gameplay like the tremors effect.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2013, 12:23:34 pm »

Well I think that all of those would have an effect on game play. Let's use the seeing thing on the edge of your vision you would have a much harder time focusing on what your doing. So maybe a minus one to focus related tasks. Hearing things would make it harder to interact with people so a minus one on top of the depression debuff.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2013, 12:25:58 pm »

Okay, so hallucinations... What would be good for the higher levels, though? They're harder cos they kinda have to be subtle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2013, 12:26:41 pm »

Have lower sanity levels result in the player getting less accurate information.

Basically the more their sanity degrades the more room you [the GM] have to outright lie to them about stuff.

Not sure how it would work exactly but might be interesting. It'd also make sanity a much higher priority to keep around as with lower rolls players can just avoid that sorta thing but if your sanity is low it makes them question what is and isn't real.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2013, 12:30:10 pm »

Have lower sanity levels result in the player getting less accurate information.

Basically the more their sanity degrades the more room you [the GM] have to outright lie to them about stuff.

Not sure how it would work exactly but might be interesting. It'd also make sanity a much higher priority to keep around as with lower rolls players can just avoid that sorta thing but if your sanity is low it makes them question what is and isn't real.

This would be my preferred method of handling sanity. Insanity comes in so many flavors, why restrict yourself to just a handful of symptoms?

I will note that information-related insanity is trickier if you have multiple players, since they can fact-check with one another. Unless sanity levels are hidden...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2013, 12:32:11 pm »

I had an idea where at sanity one, there's a chance you get one of three really, really bad effects. Suicidal, Catatonia, Psychosis.

Suicidal is self explanatory. You roll. If you fail it, your character tries to kill themselves by any means possible. Catatonia means your character slips int catatonia, meaning you're essentially dead because your character has locked themselves off from reality. Psychosis means that your character experiences a massive nervous breakdown. After that, he becomes an actual GM-controlled enemy, as his entire personality is overwhelmed by madness.

Basically, sanity one is really, really bad.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2013, 12:34:39 pm »

I had an idea where at sanity one, there's a chance you get one of three really, really bad effects. Suicidal, Catatonia, Psychosis.

Suicidal is self explanatory. You roll. If you fail it, your character tries to kill themselves by any means possible. Catatonia means your character slips int catatonia, meaning you're essentially dead because your character has locked themselves off from reality. Psychosis means that your character experiences a massive nervous breakdown. After that, he becomes an actual GM-controlled enemy, as his entire personality is overwhelmed by madness.

Basically, sanity one is really, really bad.

I personally don't like those methods as they're essentially a death roll. Taking control from a player should only happen at death. What if someone you're playing with simply shoots a kid because they hate playing with you? Your sanity slips to one and you're out. You had no chance to prevent it.

If your character is alive you should have a chance at avoiding this bit that actually in your control.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2013, 12:36:16 pm »

So wait, what if the pc is a cynic convinced that the world is bad? Every act of kindness would reduce his SAN. :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2013, 12:39:54 pm »

So wait, what if the pc is a cynic convinced that the world is bad? Every act of kindness would reduce his SAN. :P

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes,Yes, Yes, YES, YES,YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2013, 12:40:42 pm »

Whatever the case this sounds fun and I'd like to play it!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 238