Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406842 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2013, 11:55:31 pm »

I'm glad to see this thread getting used, and bigtime.

I'd have to say story/setting is most important to me, though nifty concepts and mechanics are nice too. I still miss a very shortlived freeform RP (like, 2 pages) from years ago where we had a good thing going, RP-wise. Pure story interest there.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2013, 12:03:03 am »

Kadzar that is a great idea and I hope it goes well in getting Bay 12 to cooperate, I've tried.

Anyways, since it seems that my previous game has died to the inactivity of players I have an idea for a new game.

So you (The players) are the outcasts of a school full of stuck-up jocks, future whores, and lawyers... Doesn't getting beat up suck? So take over the school by beating the yammering quims up! Ignore the fact your principal is telling you this by the way.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:33 am »

I did once have an idea similiar to that, KJ, but it was kinda different.

You see, not only did you have to handle the school side of things without having a nervous breakdown, you'd also have to stop supernatural monsters from invading. There'd be two meters for the schoolwork side of things (if that reaches 10, you have a nervous breakdown from stress) and for the monster side of things (if that reaches 10, monsters invade in a huge number). You'd also get your own special abilities for both mundane and supernatural things.

I must do that sometime.

Edit: on good forum games.

I like games that do things differently and don't get too much into one-upping. Take You Are A Hitchhiker. I liked how it worked out that no-one was going "LAWLZ MURDER HIM AND RAPE HIM TO DEATH" or "TURN IT ALL INTO CLOWNS SO RANDOM", but it was still interesting. This applies to forum roleplays as well. Anything Can Happen is another example of this. I think in both cases it primarily worked because it was a small collection of people who were somewhat on the same wavelength. If there's too many people trying to one-up themselves as the craziest/coolest (depending if it's a forum game or a roleplay), then it tends to get harder to make it interesting.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:13:07 pm by Fniff »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2013, 06:42:08 pm »

So that GWG thread got me thinking. What if we made an organized suggestion game where there was a different GM every day?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2013, 08:07:01 pm »

-snip-
Well, I guess, thinking about it, your game has great illustrations and an interesting setting, but there really isn't all that much happening; there isn't much of a plot.

Zany games can get away with a bare bones plot because there's enough happening due to player character antics to keep up interest. If running a more serious game with a reasonably-minded character, like Blunderbuss, you need to add some interesting events going on in the game environment to shake things up a bit (which you seem to be doing with the last update). My philosophy for forum games is that, whether it's a suggestion game or a multiplayer rp, every update should leave players feeling like they have something important they need to react to.

Yeah. I'm actually still learning how to Write write as it is, and at the same time am learning GMing, and what hooks to leave and how to leave them at the same time. It depends on your players a lot; what sort of things interest them or work as hooks, and what things they'll ignore. Regarding slow starts, I've seen them done elsewhere to decent effect. I mostly wanted to handle the background and exposition through the events of the intro chapter, rather than doing plot dumps... the story as it exists now is just set-up for the story I'm hoping to tell. But I'm starting to get to stuff that feels more plot-like, I hope.

On that note, I'm not sure if so much background info is even necessary, sometimes. Maybe it's better for people to be flung into a setting and cast of characters without any backdrop. But I think you need a certain minimum of backdrop presented, or the situation and characters become unrelatable, and lack clear direction.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2013, 08:08:13 pm »

Do you think that players would be able to create plausible nations for an alternate history game?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2013, 08:11:45 pm »

Do you think that players would be able to create plausible nations for an alternate history game?

I would like to think so yes. It depends, to my way of thinking, how much you want for the nations though.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2013, 08:14:12 pm »

So that GWG thread got me thinking. What if we made an organized suggestion game where there was a different GM every day?
Like Roll to GM?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2013, 08:20:26 pm »

I would like to think so yes. It depends, to my way of thinking, how much you want for the nations though.
I'm expecting them to just write a history of their nation why it is what it is while I make the stats for their nations so that no transcontinental empires will be vastly overpowered and perfect. I can just fill in whatever I feel that needs to be filled in to make their nation plausible. The problem with this approach, though, is that players might expect me to do most of the work for them.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2013, 08:21:06 pm »

Like Roll to GM?

I suppose, but with daily/half-daily changes instead of by turn like I mentioned, and my original idea involved sign-ups or something. The GMs would also be free to change the mechanics however they want when it is their turn.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2013, 11:51:45 pm »

I'm expecting them to just write a history of their nation why it is what it is while I make the stats for their nations so that no transcontinental empires will be vastly overpowered and perfect. I can just fill in whatever I feel that needs to be filled in to make their nation plausible. The problem with this approach, though, is that players might expect me to do most of the work for them.

I don't know about plausible, but certainly interesting. You'd have to go by app quality in player selection, but that's never a bad thing. What sort of time period would this be set in, by the way?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2013, 03:55:55 pm »

I don't know about plausible, but certainly interesting. You'd have to go by app quality in player selection, but that's never a bad thing. What sort of time period would this be set in, by the way?
The 18th to 19th Century as that would allow players who are not really into the whole dynastic succession shenanigans to fully enjoy playing the game.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2013, 12:43:57 pm »

Spoiler: Concept: Forum Stories (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:50:41 pm by freeformschooler »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2013, 10:22:30 pm »

Hella

Sweet

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »

Hella

Sweet
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 238