Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406825 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2013, 08:35:50 pm »

Digging up this thread again.

How about a game where most conspracy theories are right, and you are one of the many institutions covering it up. Maybe a governement program, ancient secret society, a cult worshipping ancient beings, or just something else entirely.

Of course, you'd have acces to all pseudoscience, magic, and the like which totally works and such.

Might be fun.
I remember Harry Baldman proposed something like this in the RTD suggestion thread.

Only if it all leads back to the Haarp array.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2013, 08:40:28 pm »

Also I need an idea to give my game a plot. So far a bunch of independent entities find that there bored and poses beings with magic potential for fun. I have a treant and a magical hawk. I need something to tie the adventure together besides very bad or very good rolls.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2013, 08:41:36 pm »

Also I need an idea to give my game a plot. So far a bunch of independent entities find that there bored and poses beings with magic potential for fun. I have a treant and a magical hawk. I need something to tie the adventure together besides very bad or very good rolls.
Introduce villain. Get them to have motivation to stop villain (ie he took their bananas). Go from there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »

Thinking of running a conspiracy based roleplay where the players are on the run. However, I was thinking of having a "suspicion meter" that goes up to ten. However, I was wondering how I should do this.

Should I let the players constantly know the numbers, only inform them when it hits 1, 5, or 10, don't let them know at all, or supply hints at the current number based on background information? Last one might be hard to do.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2013, 03:51:06 pm »

Actually that last one could be easy. say is you walk into town at 10 suspicion and you see wanted posters all over, where as if you walk in at one and you see a random cop look at you as if he is uncertain as to where he's seen you.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2013, 03:52:49 pm »

You could also make it vague phrases instead of hard numbers to keep them on their toes.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2013, 03:57:56 pm »

You could also make it vague phrases instead of hard numbers to keep them on their toes.
^^This^^

It can generate delicious paranoia all on its own.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2013, 04:32:57 pm »

^^This^^

It can generate delicious paranoia all on its own.
Should I roll every time for suspicion, and if I get a failure I say the opposite?

Actually that last one could be easy. say is you walk into town at 10 suspicion and you see wanted posters all over, where as if you walk in at one and you see a random cop look at you as if he is uncertain as to where he's seen you.

Well, it's a modern RP so wanted posters might be a bit Wild West, though I see what you mean. Maybe instead of posters it's "Police reports of a terrorist group in Birmingham have the populace on their toes! Please report any sightings of these suspected terrorists, depicted by their police impressions." and at one it's "The case of the Birmingham terrorists has gone cold as sightings drop off. Police believe that they may have moved on, though they encourage citizens to remain on the look-out."

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2013, 04:36:55 pm »

I just had this most crazy awesome idea..problem is all my games tend to die very quickly and I don't want this happening again, so I'm putting it up for adoption.

Ok, the year is 2025, and a massive collision of asteroids in the belt has put Ceres on an orbit that will intersect with the Earth in roughly 70 years. Mankind needs to race to build an ark to a new home or be wiped out forever as the planet is wiped out by the collision. Players take the role of the project leads as they come up with proposals for a ship(s), with they'll get into space, what will propel the ship, logistics trains, who gets to go and who stays behind, selecting the new world we'll be living on, and overseeing construction, all while everything goes steadily to hell as riots, wars and other nastiness erupts around the globe due to impending destruction.

Now I wanted to be pretty realistic with this, with the handwave of course about Ceres being knocked from the belt without being shattered completely(it DOES have 1/3 of the total mass of the belt after all!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2013, 06:59:56 pm »

Posting to follow, and I'll be throwing some adopt-a-concepts up here soon enough. Until then, I did have a query for other Forum Gamers and GMs:

Which of these things make your favorite adventures most memorable?
- A strong element of interactivity, with deep and/or exciting game rules.
- An intersting, mysterious, or strange story/setting.
- Humor and general zaniness.
- Quick-paced action, or rapid updating.
- Something else.

Which of these things kill your interest in forum adventures most?
- Lack of GM interactivity or regular updates.
- Long/wordy posts that make it hard to catch up/get started.
- Slow-paced action/tension/drama/plot-advancement.
- Blandness of setting, characters, or storyline.
- Something else.

Been picking people's brains about my current forum adventure via the Bay12 Lower Boards IRC, wondering why I'm losing interested folks, so I can address it as a GM in the future.

Also, folks seem to jump on board with new adventures without hesitation, but I've heard a lot of people talk about how they don't want to get caught up with many established adventures (and the longer they've gone on, the harder this is). This makes me think new readers get dissuaded by the size of the posts or the adventure as a whole, and don't often want to get started unless something particular catches their interest, or other people convince them to read it. Do you think that's true?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2013, 07:25:40 pm »

About longness:
Considering I've only just convinced myself to read Warrens, I'd consider this yes.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2013, 08:29:27 pm »

- Something else.
Interesting concepts and high interactivity are obviously a plus. Most of the other stuff is situational- it depends on how well it's pulled off, what kind of humor it is, etc.

- Something else.
Long updates, or even just a lot of posts, tend to kill my interest. I love Warrens, for instance, but I still just can't keep up to date on it.

I also suffer from general ADD on that subject, though. It's not uncommon for me to pop into a fresh adventure to suggest something, then lose interest and wander off.

It also tends to kill my interest to see the game consistently go in directions I don't like. Not much to be done about that, but there's not as much investment or point in playing when things keep going elsewhere from what you'd like.

Been picking people's brains about my current forum adventure via the Bay12 Lower Boards IRC, wondering why I'm losing interested folks, so I can address it as a GM in the future.
Never started that for a few reasons.

One, the title sort of gave me the impression of an era I'm not fond of, and I never really bothered to get past that.
Two, it's massive. I could jump onto the end and have no idea what's going on, or start at the beginning and not have the effort to slog through it all.
Three, I never had a particularly good sense of what I was missing out on. Again, this is sort of a weird advertising issue, but once I'd decided that it was long and about muskets or something, there wasn't anything to counter that and suggest that I should give it a try.

Obviously none of those ought to be problems for existing players, but maybe that'll be helpful for the future.

Also, folks seem to jump on board with new adventures without hesitation, but I've heard a lot of people talk about how they don't want to get caught up with many established adventures (and the longer they've gone on, the harder this is). This makes me think new readers get dissuaded by the size of the posts or the adventure as a whole, and don't often want to get started unless something particular catches their interest, or other people convince them to read it. Do you think that's true?
Definitely.

I suspect there's also sometimes a sense that once a game is established, there's sort of an established set of situations or method of doing things or clique of decisionmakers, which makes an established game much different from a new one. People love popping into games to say "Turn into a potato!" or "Clowns everywhere!" for no particular reason. Figuring out which lead to investigate or what your next piece of dialogue should be is both more restricting and requires much more understanding of what's going on, which makes it less appealing to a lot of people.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2013, 09:15:49 pm »

Posting to follow, and I'll be throwing some adopt-a-concepts up here soon enough. Until then, I did have a query for other Forum Gamers and GMs:

- Something else.
Interactivity is the most important in suggestion adventures, while deeper game rules are more important in the games where each person controls their own character.
A suggestion game needs the suggesters to feel like they're having an effect on the plot, or they lose interest. There don't necessarily have to be any "rules" at all for it to work.
With the other type, the plot can remain static while the player's actions keep them entertained. The rules must be as interesting as possible, so that the player can know what they can and cannot do,

Story is important for both.

I personally don't care how often something updates; I'm not likely to lose interest due to that.

- Something else.
I don't think I've ever really lost interest completely in a game, but I think the thing most likely to bore me are long combat segments in textual format. Exciting pictures can make it interesting, but just reading about what the main character is doing in a fight cannot.

A bland setting also brings down quality.

Yes, definitely.
I almost never ever look at a game if it's more than five pages long, unless it's from a GM I'm familiar with or someone points me to it specifically.
I couldn't tell you why.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2013, 09:39:00 pm »

It also tends to kill my interest to see the game consistently go in directions I don't like. Not much to be done about that, but there's not as much investment or point in playing when things keep going elsewhere from what you'd like.

I suspect there's also sometimes a sense that once a game is established, there's sort of an established set of situations or method of doing things or clique of decisionmakers, which makes an established game much different from a new one. People love popping into games to say "Turn into a potato!" or "Clowns everywhere!" for no particular reason. Figuring out which lead to investigate or what your next piece of dialogue should be is both more restricting and requires much more understanding of what's going on, which makes it less appealing to a lot of people.

In my experience, these two things tend to combine to cause playercount to drop over the course of the first few segments of a new game. When the game starts, there's a fair number of ways things can go, and in many games there's the freedom for it to really go anywhere. The first few situations handled tend to establish what method and tone is most popular, and how the GM reacts to things this early goes a long way toward establishing that tone. Usually, this means the first major schism is between the silly lol-random people and the serious people, whichever camp loses usually quits the thread for another.

At the same time this is happening, there's usually a handful of very active players whose suggestions tend to be the most popular, which gives rise to the first clique arising. Once they get history on their side, there's a definite sense that "this is a sort of thing the character would do" which lends extra credibility to their suggestions, since it's hard to ignore internal consistency. From what I've seen, the less vocal players tend to either quit or start lurking, either because their votes can't overcome the clique or because their opinions are already adequately covered by the clique. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since a small core of dedicated players will keep the game alive through various levels of popularity. This tends to be the point at which strong story wins out over strong mechanics, since people who are interested in the actual story of the game are more likely to hang around, even if they just lurk. People who hang around only for the mechanics will drift away if they get consistently outvoted.

Assuming the GM is still going strong at this point, what I've seen happen often is that the original clique will splinter based on smaller deviations than the broad strokes that brought them to the forefront in the first place. Depending on how things go, either history will repeat itself, or the splintering will allow the votes of newcomers to matter more, increasing player count. Once the game is established newcomers will have accepted the "story so far" as just part of the cost of joining the game, and internalized the history/motivations of the characters, meaning their suggestions usually fit within the broad strokes defined by the original clique. As far as I can see, this is how long-runners survive; new blood comes in at about the rate old blood loses interest in the game for whatever reason.

/pompous overanalysis

But anyway, as for your actual questions, I don't have much to offer other than what Fuzz and IronyOwl mentioned. Action/Combat that drags tends to kill things I otherwise like, and is usually a byproduct of adapting round-based tabletop rules to a setting where trying to advance the game in 6 second time increments makes everything take weeks IRL. I think the only GM I've seen get away with it is freeformscholar, and that's because he usually makes combat a series of quick updates that are done on the same day, or the day after.

I know irregular/infrequent updates kills it for some people, but I myself don't mind that much, and the fact I still have any players at all in my games tells me there is a decent population of the forums that can live with one update every few weeks/months. I know that if infrequent updates are common, it can be difficult to keep up if the plot is reasonably intricate, which tends to drive away the more casual followers. I try to alleviate this by having every update linked from the OP for quick reference, where I don't reference the past directly in the update.

As far as joining new adventures vs joining established adventures, for me a lot of it comes down to subject matter and whether I'm already familiar with the GMs work. Blunderbuss is a pretty good example for me, actually- I remember the first time I saw it the game hadn't gotten very far (so I didn't know whether it was something I would be interested in a month down the line,) I wasn't in a super Steampunky mood, and I wasn't familiar with the you from other things. The second time I saw it I was jonesing for a good ISG, and not only was I more familiar with you from around the forums I was also quite aware you could deliver the goods on the "pretty pictures" front, which sucked me in long enough to decide the story was worth following.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't spend too much time lurking around the main FG&R board looking for new threads. I keep involved in a couple-three at a time, and every once in a while I take a glance to see if anything catches my eye. This tends to be why I miss out on the ground floor of a lot of games, but if something looks like it might be interesting I'll read at least the first few updates before deciding whether to continue with it. Or bookmark it in case I'm not in the mood to read a wall of text at that moment- you know, like this wall of text!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2013, 11:46:53 pm »

-snip-
Well, I guess, thinking about it, your game has great illustrations and an interesting setting, but there really isn't all that much happening; there isn't much of a plot.

Zany games can get away with a bare bones plot because there's enough happening due to player character antics to keep up interest. If running a more serious game with a reasonably-minded character, like Blunderbuss, you need to add some interesting events going on in the game environment to shake things up a bit (which you seem to be doing with the last update). My philosophy for forum games is that, whether it's a suggestion game or a multiplayer rp, every update should leave players feeling like they have something important they need to react to.

As for pace, I find that, if there's anything good about a game, people will be willing to wait awhile between updates (just look at Elves of Amanereli.)

So on my last forum game, I kind of got burnt out because I was having to write six or seven separate stories at once for nine players while trying to be as funny as possible.

So that's either on hold or dead, I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm thinking of starting a new game to address the problems in the previous one. Here's what I'm thinking of for an OP:

Party Quest (or I Am Forever Bad at Naming Things) IAFBaNT?

In this game you will play a group of adventurers who’ve banded together to follow their dreams. Each of you possesses a certain skillset or some other valuable assets, but that alone is not enough to reach your goal. You’ll need the help of your fellow party members to help face the challenges on your way to ultimate victory.

This is intended to be a game of cooperation and camaraderie. If you are the kind of person who just likes to go off and do their own thing, please don’t apply for this game, it’s not meant for you.
That’s not to say that you can’t split up or occasionally go off and do your own thing, but the idea is that each of you is a part of the group and needs each other in some respect. If that ever becomes no longer the case, your character can go off to do their own thing and you can make a new character for whom that is the case.

I’ll take 4-6 players (the intention is for the group to be small so that everyone has a chance to get know everyone else better). Use the following template for your character sheets:

Your Name: What name are you known as by your fellow adventurers?
Ultimate Goal: What do you ultimately seek to accomplish through adventuring? You can include pertinent backstory here, though backstory isn’t strictly necessary; I just need to know what you’re after and possibly why. This shouldn’t be some trivial thing; it should be something you’ll be trying to acquire throughout the whole game.
Why you’re with the party: How does the party help you reach your goal? What ties you to the party: do their goals align well with yours; do they have something you can’t find anywhere; or do you have a special connection with one or more of the party members? Why don’t you just go off and do your own thing?
What you bring to the party: As it says, what makes the party want to keep you in it’s employ? It isn’t necessarily special skills, you might have funds or access to some special contacts that make you valuable, or secret knowledge or something else I haven’t thought of.
Your Problem: What in your character’s life causes them or gets them into the most trouble? This should be neither a trivial bother nor a major handicap, just something they struggle with often but are not overcome by. It should be something that adds interest to the character and to the game and makes your character more 3-dimensional.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 238