Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406817 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2013, 07:41:29 pm »

Keeping up with Bay12 was fine at first, and I was involved with it since it started. It then quickly devolved in everyone doing crazier and stupider things, straying from the original ideas. Everyone did it, and the sane people dropped off as soon as it went downhill. I did particularly shitty in that RP too, and strayed into Mary Sue territory a few times. But there were people far worse. I can say with 100% assurance, that there has never been a freeform RP on here that has gone well. There needs to be mechanics or someone looking over the general plot of the story so the players don't do anything stupid.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2013, 07:42:39 pm »

Keeping up with Bay12 was fine at first, and I was involved with it since it started. It then quickly devolved in everyone doing crazier and stupider things, straying from the original ideas. Everyone did it, and the sane people dropped off as soon as it went downhill. I did particularly shitty in that RP too, and strayed into Mary Sue territory a few times. But there were people far worse. I can say with 100% assurance, that there has never been a freeform RP on here that has gone well. There needs to be mechanics or someone looking over the general plot of the story so the players don't do anything stupid.
Ah, thanks- as I said, I was never in that one.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2013, 12:02:59 pm »

There was one freeform game that went awesomely. Check out the first Anything Can Happen. Really, freeform works with a limited number of players.

Edit: Here is Anything Can Happen.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:05:46 pm by Fniff »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2013, 01:36:12 pm »

So in my spare time ((aka all my time)) I enjoy coming up with game mechanics.  The problems however are;

1. My games are always complicated.
 2. I always get excited for them, and start a forum game for it.
 3. The game isn't actually finished and I end up getting burned out, or not even fully starting.  Then I hide in shame away from the forums.

Most of the time I only start them so people ask me questions.  That way I know what I need to come up with.  So I'm kinda glad this thread now exists.

Actual post:

I've had an idea that would "combat" gm abandonment.  It involves a player posting their action.  Then the next player rolls the above player's action and write out an outcome, then they post an action for their character.  Then the next player rolls for them and does the same.

Please tell me why this is a terrible idea and should not be pursued.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2013, 01:37:28 pm »

May be open for abuse... Could be interesting to try out. Plus it'd be good against trenchcoating.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2013, 02:12:07 pm »

May be open for abuse... Could be interesting to try out. Plus it'd be good against trenchcoating.

To limit abuse I thought of some not fully fleshed out rules.

1. You cannot roll for the last person who rolled for you.  That way you can't fudge the dice of someone who just made you fail your hopscotch check, and totally embarrass you in front of your secret crush.

2. There's 2 different types of rolls. Basic rolls which work like roll to dodge rolls. The other being "Versus" rolls.

When you roll a 6 on a basic roll, you succeed your check, but begin a session of "Versus" Rolls.

Example: You successfully unlock the door, but failed to notice the guards on the other side. Commence vs. roll

5 you succeed and get a little bit extra out of it (one time bonus to next roll)

Example: You successfully unlock the door. And you also receive a boon, which allows you to call upon one of your traits.

4 you succeed.

Example: You successfully unlock the door.

3 you succeed but at a cost.

Example: You successfully unlock the door. However the door is pretty loud and you receive a "negative sounding word" which can be used by any player rolling for you to lower your check by 1 for each "bad thing word", using up the "mean word of -1".

2 you fail, commence versus check.

Example: You fail to unlock the door, also there's guards.

1 you fail, commence versus check. Start out with a disadvantage.

Example: You fail to unlock the door, also there's guards, also you drop your dagger when you pull it from your sheath.

Versus checks start whenever your in a fight, or simply trying to survive.  The first check (unless you rolled a 1 when commencing the check) is just like any other check, however if you fail, stuff happens to you, and you gain a disadvantage. A disadvantage is a -1 that applies to the next roll.

If you fail your next versus roll, and you have an disadvantage you are injured, which applies something.  I'm thinking of using a trait system (as stated earlier).. When you get injured you either gain or lose a trait.  If you fail again you "die" (or get knocked out or imprisoned whichever makes the most sense).

If you succeed a roll while disadvantaged, or injured, you go back to the starting point, or "normal" and then if you succeed again you are no longer in the versus session.  This is to prevent you from going from disadvantage to injured to disadvantage to injured, over and over again.

Possibly limit injuries to once per versus banaza, to limit drastic character changes.

More on traits: Using a boon point allows you to use one of your traits (that relate to your action) to receive a +2 to the check.

Example: You have the "deft hands" traits, you use a boon point to receive a +2 to your lock pick attempt.

You could thus lose the "deft hands" trait, from an injury, such as being mauled by a wolf.  You could of course gain the "fear of wolves" trait instead of losing your "deft hands" trait.  "Fear of Wolves" being a trait that other players can call upon when making a roll for you if it applies, but would be pretty useless for you.

Example: You have the "Fear of Wolves" trait, and are in the woods.  You roll a travel check.  The player rolling for you, decides to use your "Fear of Wolves" check to take away 1 from your roll.  He rolls a 3, and lowers it by 1.  Claiming you heard a wolves howl and froze in your tracks, failing your travel check, he then comes up with a challenge in your way, lets say bandits.

Example 2: You have the "Fear of Wolves" trait.  You are beset by a wolf. You use a boon point to to use your "Fear of Wolves" in an escape check.  The next player rolls a 3, then adds the +2 from your trait use, giving you a 5.  You escape the wolf and regain your boon point.

Thoughts? ((wrote way more then I planned))

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »

This is intruiging.... player numbers would have to be limited so everyone could keep track of everyone elses last actions, for continuity, but otherwise this seems like a good idea.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2013, 02:23:42 pm »

This is intruiging.... player numbers would have to be limited so everyone could keep track of everyone elses last actions, for continuity, but otherwise this seems like a good idea.
[/quote

It'd have to be between 4-6.  That way the same people don't roll for the same people every time.

I'm a bit stumped on player interaction, both in fighting each other, and just plain talking to npc's or each other.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »

Should it be a freeformer too? We could actually make the freeform RP work!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31:51 pm »

Freeform RPs generally don't have action rolling or mechanics by definition.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2013, 02:33:44 pm »

I pretty much came up with the idea, because I missed old school, post a paragraph rp's I used to do in middle school and some in highschool. But I also prefer it if it wasn't a one up contest filled with mary sues.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2013, 02:36:28 pm »

And that's usually why they kinda collapse in trenchcoating and random murder.

I pretty much came up with the idea, because I missed old school, post a paragraph rp's I used to do in middle school and some in highschool. But I also prefer it if it wasn't a one up contest filled with mary sues.

Really? Well, I must thank you for coming up with that idea, as it certainly did make me happy, though it does have it's problems. I tried doing my own version of it, but it didn't really work out because my idea was being a constant GM and people being random murderers wears on you even more when you're actively trying to prevent it.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2013, 02:41:24 pm »

And that's usually why they kinda collapse in trenchcoating and random murder.

Really? Well, I must thank you for coming up with that idea, as it certainly did make me happy, though it does have it's problems. I tried doing my own version of it, but it didn't really work out because my idea was being a constant GM and people being random murderers wears on you even more when you're actively trying to prevent it.

The main one being, writing out a fantastic roll and your own post, only to be ninja'd by a hastily written post and nothing but a bolded action.  Of course you could always reserve, but if you reserve and don't finish, you either have to unreserve leaving a gap, or keep it reserved but hold up the game.

Can you delete your post if it's the last one in the thread? I forget how bay12 handles that.  Well I'll find out in 2 seconds.

edit- the answer is nope.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2013, 02:44:15 pm »

I'm a half [(half vampire demon) (half vampire angel)] half [(half angel catgirl) (half cyborg fallen angel)]. That's right, I'm a third generation sue. I need a chart to keep track of my own tragic backstory and bullshit power suite!

Also "half" no longer looks like a word, and yes, the parentheses were necessary for being able to parse that at all.

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2013, 02:46:02 pm »

On the other hand, a cyborg fallen angel would be kickass. Especially in a post-apocalyptic setting.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 238