Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406794 times)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2012, 04:06:45 pm »

Ok, this thread could be so ridiculously useful why did I let it die. Maybe worth a sticky but whatever.

So here's a radical idea-a Suggestion Games sub forum. We move all of the little single-player hivemind games into their own little room, and everyone can enjoy them there. This probably makes more sense when you think about it-suggestion games are about as popular as RTDs and Mafia, so they are in the ballpark for subforumville, and honestly, it'd make the board a lot neater as an entity. Those who are here for the You Are X games can have their own patch of land and those who prefer classic games like Tacticus and Godhood get more breathing space (Games seem to rarely stay on the front page for long periods of time these days). Thoughts?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2012, 04:10:55 pm »

I don't mind either way. Most suggestion games die off fast enough and our RPers are dedicated enough that finding the major things I want to play is pretty simple.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2012, 04:19:52 pm »

I know, but you sort of realise the problem when backk in the day it was 1 in 10 suggestion games to all games, and they lasted for a while. Now it's 9 in 10 suggestion games and most burn out. I'd say give them their own ground so they can burn out while not interfering with other games.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2012, 04:22:07 pm »

Well, fire off a PM to Toady. I mean, he might say no, but it would take about a minute to create the subforum (judging by SMF experience)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2012, 04:24:55 pm »

Now it's 9 in 10 suggestion games
This kind of indicates the problem, though; there's not a whole lot of forum games that aren't suggestion games. Having another subforum would probably leave the "main" one pretty sluggish and barren.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 04:50:58 pm »

Thing is though, suggestion games burn out quickly, but there are a lot of them. I'd say on average that suggestion games get the same amounts of posts per week as Mafia (Which, by the game's nature, involves large post numbers but fewer threads-the opposite to Suggestion games). I'd say that fact neatly sets up the set for a sub forum-and hey, it might even free up space for classics like TSALT (I'm happy these classics are being renewed, BTW).

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2012, 01:00:58 am »

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. It might even allow this thread to stay active like its bigger and more successful brother in the RTD subforum.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2012, 01:13:13 am »

I vote no. :-\ I spend little enough time on the main FG board as it is... At least it looks lively with all them suggestion games.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2012, 01:21:34 am »

Oh, please, just 4 3 out of 17 games on the first page are suggestion games. That said, are there enough suggestion games for a separate subforum? *shrug*
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2012, 04:29:33 pm »

I Had some ideas to do a Space battle game (entire game revolving on one or more large battles) complete with boarding, massive explosions and all other tropes included.

Had a bit of a system written up, but I'm afraid I won't be able to do it on my own.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2013, 08:47:14 am »

Damn, this thread is never used. Roller's Block is always on the first page without ever having been stickied, this won't last a day on the same page. You lot should be ashamed. Anyway;

DUALISM - A GOD GAME

Dualism is a god game with a different focus from most of its kind. Two players take the roles of LIGHT and SHADOW or ORDER and CHAOS, or DAY and NIGHT, who have battled and struggled for control of the world since the dawn of time in an unending cycle. In the last age, they tore the world apart with their armies, champions and touch upon the world, threatening to unravel the fabric of reality itself! Neither side could gain victory, and in the end, they were sealed away where they could no longer touch the world. But now their prisons are weakening, and the cycle begins anew...

The Two begin weak and limited, only touching the world lightly. They must find mortals to do their bidding, their Chosen, who will bring about their release and victory. A millennium has passed and without them, the world has lost much of its glory, living among the ruins of the past age. Many weapons, armies, knowledge, remain buried and hidden, useful tools in the coming struggle.

---

So, basically, two players are the opposing personifications/primordial powers/whatever you want to call them. The Powers act at the beginning of every turn/month/whatever, exerting their influence, giving orders to their Chosen and what have you. As their prisons weaken more and more, they can influence the world more often and regain their once-great powers. For example, the power of, say, CHAOS, could decide to spend their power that turn to send an unnatural storm against a party of the champions of Order heading for a perilous mountain pass, in addition to giving its Chosen the knowledge of an ancient weapon hidden beneath the earth and ordering them to bring about a civil war in some kingdom or other.

The Chosen themselves, which the powers create during play (though they may not know it, in typical Chosen One way) or start with (if they choose to spend their starting points on them), are taken by players (or are NPCs if nobody claims them) and set to enjoy themselves and/or do as the Dark/Light/Pure/Great/Unkind One commands. On both sides, they work towards shattering the prisons of their master and bringing about its victory while trying to prevent their opposing side from doing the same. Though most of them start off weak and inexperienced, they can amass god-like power, perhaps even challenge their masters and claim reality for themselves!

I realize a game like this could suffer from metagaming a lot, so PM'ed actions of the Chosen might be needed, though I have enough faith in players not to need that most of the time. The Chosen would also gain their extra power from their master, but sharing it among eachother - meaning it's only useful for them to kill off and/or discredit their fellow Chosen.

This idea was more than slightly inspired by the Wheel of Time, but eternal dualistic conflicts occur pretty much everywhere.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:56:42 am by Digital Hellhound »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2013, 02:51:49 pm »

Sounds nifty, and I do love me some WoT.

On the topic of "why is this thread never used," I think it might be that forum games are much more diverse than RTDs- less common ground for discussion. Everyone here pretty much does their own thing.

Of course, Roller's Block also serves as a hangout/discussion thread for the regulars, and I don't know why that aspect hasn't caught on up here. :shrug:

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2013, 03:30:49 pm »

I was actually thinking of doing a Godhood style game set in the modern age of our world. The gods would have physical bodies in the world, and instead of being vague on how long each turn takes ingame, turns would be either Spring or Fall with years advancing as time goes on. Does it have potential?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2013, 03:38:30 pm »

I was actually thinking of doing a Godhood style game set in the modern age of our world. The gods would have physical bodies in the world, and instead of being vague on how long each turn takes ingame, turns would be either Spring or Fall with years advancing as time goes on. Does it have potential?

It does. It gets brought up every now and then, but somehow it never gets created. I imagine the gods could be masquerading as mundane mortals if they wanted? It'd be urban fantasy in a nutshell.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2013, 03:52:10 pm »

I was actually considering making the gods mundane mortals at the start. The idea is that the magic is coming back and that random mortals suddenly got godlike abilities. It'd be another nice grounding that'd seperate it from regular Godhoods.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 238