Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407485 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #930 on: April 01, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »

An idea that came to mind recently was the following:
A high lethality, roleplaying based game set in a hospital. Specifically, a hospital ward to which those who are now beyond help are sent, one to which spend the last moment of their life, away from the monitoring equipment, away from the careful attention of the nurses, somewhere to die in peace.
Each character has a post limit. A very short one. Upon hitting that limit, they die. The objective is to characterize them as much as possible beforehand. However, players are not allowed to use explicit descriptions (such as "X looked [emotion]") nor describe thoughts, they may only describe their expressions, gestures, voice and whatnot, which hopefully won't be misunderstood.
Of course, this requires someone to start a conversation, thus using up one of their precious turns, however, this is balanced by the fact that they would be setting the starting content of the conversation and can perform some characterisation in the manner in which they do it, whether loudly with a grandiose quality or softly with a degree of hesitation.

Sounds... interesting, but there is no notion of winning or accomplishment in your basic pitch.

Maybe if the person an impartial judge determined was the most fleshed out won?

I'd still join, though.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 01, 2014, 02:36:34 pm »

To be honest it doesn't sound fun.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 01, 2014, 02:39:28 pm »

Sounds... interesting, but there is no notion of winning or accomplishment in your basic pitch.
That's the primary issue currently, I have no idea how to make it an actual game seeing as in this rough state it seems to be more of a writing practice exercise.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 01, 2014, 02:49:26 pm »

A few ideas I pulled from thin air:

-Have an impartial judge determine who's the most fleshed out character (as previously stated).

-Have all the other players judge how fleshed out someone was before they died; when everyone's dead, the highest-approved one wins. Dead players and live players alike vote.

-Put it in a Creative Projects thread, labeled as a writing practice game.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 01, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »

You really can't judge roleplaying. There is obviously bad roleplaying, and there is obviously good roleplaying, but more often then not you can end up with roleplaying that just ticks at least some of the boxes and just isn't particularly outstanding. Judging that is difficult: should you accept them for doing things correctly or punish them for not doing it right? Anyway, an impartial judge would have to be someone off-site, I've known myself to hesitate when handing out bad rolls to players I like when I'm GM, and I don't really know that many people here.

I do like the idea of a time-based roleplaying thing. Perhaps you should change the premise so that instead of making the best roleplay, you make the most impact in the short time you have? Reminds me of the minimalist RTD "Roll to slowly die of radiation poisoning", which is a good thing to look at if you're thinking of time-based RPing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:16:49 pm by Fniff »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 01, 2014, 07:05:57 pm »

So I was just thinking of a concept for a game. Everyone is a bard. As everyone is a bard they obviously each get a genre of music (for example, punk, country goth soft rock folk wave caberet. Yes that last one was a sigular grouping for songs to be taken from) that they can take songs from. They link to say a youtube video of the song and the magical effects happen based on it with a roll determining the potency of the effect. (For example Re:Your Brains would summon office zombies.)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 01, 2014, 07:15:11 pm »

So I was just thinking of a concept for a game. Everyone is a bard. As everyone is a bard they obviously each get a genre of music (for example, punk, country goth soft rock folk wave caberet. Yes that last one was a sigular grouping for songs to be taken from) that they can take songs from. They link to say a youtube video of the song and the magical effects happen based on it with a roll determining the potency of the effect. (For example Re:Your Brains would summon office zombies.)
Didn't we talk about this already?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 01, 2014, 07:49:06 pm »

It's the first time I remember thinking/talking about it.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 01, 2014, 07:52:44 pm »

EDIT: OH GOD I JUST REALIZED ANOTHER IDEA.

It might be awesome. It might be dumb. Worth saying either way.

Perplexicon, but instead of words, songs, or pieces of songs. Battle of the Bards. You string together songs to make your magic, and the song/verse or whatever has to do with the effect, somehow, no matter how obscure. And it may be very obscure. Probably less cool in practice than theory, though.
^

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 01, 2014, 08:00:59 pm »

Ah....

I think it's different enough to at least be talked about.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 01, 2014, 08:03:33 pm »

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm just pointing out that the whole bard game thing was suggested exactly a month ago.

Spooky.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 01, 2014, 08:14:14 pm »

Uh... great minds think alike?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 01, 2014, 09:18:08 pm »

I've seen the music-o-magic idea pop up a few times. It seems to be happening more and more frequently. I predict SOMEONE will get a game based on music up within two months from now.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 03, 2014, 10:51:56 am »

Okay, need help with a suggestion game idea I had.

Basic idea is, you are a fellow who has been blessed by a few gods to not die for some plan you don't know about. Whenever you die, you must sacrifice an item or skill of yours, and then you wake up in your body alive and well. The more chunky-salsaish your death, the more items you have to sacrifice (Get shot by a pistol in the stomach? One item. Get your head blown off with a shotgun? Two items. Get stuck in a woodchipper? Three items. Get directly hit with a nuke? Four items.). Another thing is the fact that you will get "Blessings" from the gods that you respect. Here are the three major ones and the blessings you get from them at the start of the game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was going for a "Defense-Attack-Special" theme for the three gods and I want the player to be slightly harder to kill then most NPCs, hence why these are all death related. What do you guys think?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 03, 2014, 02:48:51 pm »

Sounds cool, except the Angel is way OP.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 238