Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407439 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #900 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:22 pm »

Double post, however...

I want to see how FFT goes first, I think, but if I think I can handle it or when it finishes, I'd like to run a minimally adjusted FEF - with just one tiny catch.

All of the characters? They're all already dead.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 27, 2014, 03:24:32 am »

Double post, however...

I want to see how FFT goes first, I think, but if I think I can handle it or when it finishes, I'd like to run a minimally adjusted FEF - with just one tiny catch.

A game of FEF that must be finished in three turns?

Easy
Medium
Hard
Lunatic
haspen
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 27, 2014, 12:16:11 pm »

I just got the idea of a fantasy X-COM-like (or possibly more like the Stargate tv series) game.

The basic idea is that you would have an adventuring company, and they would send out teams of adventurers on various missions. The players would play the adventurers, who would switch out from mission to mission either because different ones are needed for their particular skillset or the main team was returning/recovering from the last mission.

Also there would be tomes/relics/artifacts/whatever that the teams would bring back from their missions for the company's scholars and mages to study, and I'm thinking that. like in Stargate, sometimes they need to bring some of these brainy guys along to study something in person (though usually they'll try to only bring them along to places they've mostly cleared). And the teams might occasionally encounter some new races and groups from whom they might recruit new members or resupply or do trade with. And there may be other advantages to exploring, like finding new valuable mineral deposits or farmland or other things that I can't think of myself.

But venturing into new lands can be dangerous, since even a veteran can fall to misfortune (it might be a good idea to have some rookie NPCs along for people to play in case someone dies in the middle of a mission). It's a good idea to send out scouts and gather information about the surrounding area from the locals, not to mention digging up as many legends and as much lore as possible, especially before heading into a dungeon. It's also a good idea to just generally play it safe, as even a previously cleared dungeon might have a few monsters still wanding about or some previously unseen traps or magical whatsits.

Unfortunately, I've sort of given up on running forum games for now and am trying to psyche myself up to get an online game started, plus I can't write even the likely minimal systems needed to run this game, but if anyone wants to use this idea in any way, feel free to go wild with it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 27, 2014, 12:24:31 pm »

Double post, however...

A game of FEF that must be finished in three turns?

Easy
Medium
Hard
Lunatic
haspen

Well, I kinda had two things in mind when I was typing that. One, Spirit Emblem, where you are all dead and have to do some shit in the spirit world because the living are fucking up stuff in the real world. Time travel shenanigans optional.

The other one would be an interesting concept for any forum game, but very difficult to do; one where you start at high level, but the game goes backwards from the last party member being killed during the final battle. RP would not go backwards, it would just be in weird chunks. Difficult as all hell to organize and keep things interesting and logical(logic would be impossible to keep, really), and it might end up having to be a 'get back into X state from Y state' where X was what the battle start would have looked like.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 27, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »

How do people feel about yet another D&D (Pathfinder) attempt?  Caveat being that I'd need a Co-GM...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 27, 2014, 06:27:47 pm »

How do people feel about yet another D&D (Pathfinder) attempt?  Caveat being that I'd need a Co-GM...

Why? What can't you do yourself? If it's mechanics or maintenance, you can always ask for player help. Most of the D&D players here are GMs themselves.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 27, 2014, 06:33:53 pm »

Update: Ordinary Children Adventures is almost ready to play. Just have to clean up the rules, plan the first dungeon (which will be a small one), and finish up the insanity table. Maybe add in a few more skills and weapons too. Should be up today, or tomorrow at the latest.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 27, 2014, 06:35:20 pm »

Why? What can't you do yourself? If it's mechanics or maintenance, you can always ask for player help. Most of the D&D players here are GMs themselves.

Unfamiliar with Pathfinder, yet committing to doing that version of the game.  Also, terrible with art, including mapping.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 27, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »

Unfamiliar with Pathfinder, yet committing to doing that version of the game.  Also, terrible with art, including mapping.
I would probably be willing to help out with bringing more D&D to the forums.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 27, 2014, 06:45:34 pm »

Hmm... well, as for pathfinder, there's plenty of useful tools you could use to learn "on-the-go."

Pathfinder random generators
Pathfinder SRD
Pathfinder character generator

As for mapping...

Tiled - I use this for FEF
Free tilesets
Maptool - exports to image like Tiled, plenty of sweet tokens and textures downloadable in-app

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 27, 2014, 07:02:44 pm »

What's the ideal amount of planning to go into a suggestion game? Should you have a focused idea on the plot, just a premise to start off with then evolve from, or somewhere in-between? Can you have a distinctive character that is controlled by the player without it being annoying? And can trying to enforce a character's morality be not annoying?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 27, 2014, 09:17:01 pm »

Ordinary Children Adventures is up. I ended up with 49 different generic skills, which totals 85 skills including the class ones. Plus 16 weapons, and two different tables. I'm sure that I messed something up, but it's late and I'm sickish so goodnight. I'll deal with it in the morning.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 28, 2014, 01:50:06 am »

Hmm... well, as for pathfinder, there's plenty of useful tools you could use to learn "on-the-go."

Pathfinder random generators
Pathfinder SRD
Pathfinder character generator

As for mapping...

Tiled - I use this for FEF
Free tilesets
Maptool - exports to image like Tiled, plenty of sweet tokens and textures downloadable in-app

I'm familiar with the basic rules and concepts (I'm familiar enough with 3.5 to optimize silly builds), it's the particulars I'm unfamiliar with, and I'd need to spend a lot of time on the Pathfinder material to become familiar enough with it to know what players are doing with their builds.  It's important to me to make sure all players feel like they are contributing and aren't being completely overshadowed by someone more familiar with the system.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 28, 2014, 02:53:46 am »

I've been thinking about running Warrior, Rogue & Mage sometime, since I haven't got the chance to try it out.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 28, 2014, 10:40:28 am »

The differences are mostly an easier class system (archetypes rather than shittons of base classes) and some small adjustments in a few areas to streamline and 'improve'(I put quotes because I dislike what they did with grappling...). Just find the areas that are different and bookmark them for reference. Other than that, just keep a close eye on what your players and doing and make sure you find out what everything means.

Pathfinder is incredibly similar to 3.5, just more streamlined without actually becoming simplistic.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 238