Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407413 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #855 on: March 20, 2014, 01:51:46 pm »

So, unrelated question. Would anyone be interested in a SCP forum game? There was a RTD dodge one that was pretty interesting but met it's end soon and I was thinking something like that would be fun.
DOO ITTTT

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 20, 2014, 01:54:42 pm »

I can not as I don't do... well, I don't run games in general well and I also would have trouble updating in a timely manner.

I was mostly tossing it out as a suggestion. Also I could post concepts I remember if it is wanted.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 20, 2014, 06:32:47 pm »

I have a medium-good familiarity with the site (not enough with the individual "SITES"), and could Co-GM.

I've been trying for a while to come up with a good way to word an article... Though I just came up with an idea to make it "Decommissioned".
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 20, 2014, 06:42:28 pm »

Yeah, I've been thinking and I think I could run it now that I think of it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 20, 2014, 08:01:01 pm »

Here's a question. I've found that my suggestion games have a tendency to not get off the ground a lot. Either they don't attract more then 1-3 players or they don't attract anyone at all. I fear this may be because of my tendency to use concepts other then straight up sci-fi or fantasy. What's the general opinion on concepts in a suggestion game? Can a player actually be spoiled by an unusual concept or am I just being paranoid and it's just my execution?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 20, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »

I've noticed that everything you make comes off as overly grimdark in setting to me at least, if you just want me to point out a possible trend. But I haven't looked inside them much so I can't judge on the actual gameplay contents.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 20, 2014, 08:31:35 pm »

Well, I like being grimdark, I guess. I would like to think that you'd get a free pass for doing overly-depressing shit when you're a teenager, but maybe I'll think of something that isn't grimdark in setting. Problem is, I like having a dark setting so that the good things that happen seem much better. Though I can see how that would be off-putting at first, I can understand the feeling of not being able to change things in a setting that seems bad enough. Perhaps a layered approach would be best: "Oh hey, this world seems nice!" "Oh, so it's got a lot of bad shit, but I'm too invested to stop now." "Oh hey, things turned out okay after all."

Problem is, I am not really good at making happy settings. The best I can do is probably mundane.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:33:38 pm by Fniff »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:31 pm »

Have you thought of something involving SCPs?

That said I think I have an idea for a rudimentary stat system for the SCP RPG idea.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #863 on: March 20, 2014, 10:17:52 pm »

Well, I like being grimdark, I guess. I would like to think that you'd get a free pass for doing overly-depressing shit when you're a teenager, but maybe I'll think of something that isn't grimdark in setting. Problem is, I like having a dark setting so that the good things that happen seem much better. Though I can see how that would be off-putting at first, I can understand the feeling of not being able to change things in a setting that seems bad enough. Perhaps a layered approach would be best: "Oh hey, this world seems nice!" "Oh, so it's got a lot of bad shit, but I'm too invested to stop now." "Oh hey, things turned out okay after all."

Problem is, I am not really good at making happy settings. The best I can do is probably mundane.
Trends aren't a bad thing dude.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 20, 2014, 10:30:43 pm »

Here's a question. I've found that my suggestion games have a tendency to not get off the ground a lot. Either they don't attract more then 1-3 players or they don't attract anyone at all. I fear this may be because of my tendency to use concepts other then straight up sci-fi or fantasy. What's the general opinion on concepts in a suggestion game? Can a player actually be spoiled by an unusual concept or am I just being paranoid and it's just my execution?

Well, I took a look at some of your games and wasn't interested in the least, but it's hard to say way. It's definitely not the genre. They just don't seem like they're going anywhere, and the content is boring. Basically, they all feel like the start of a cliche novel rather than the start of a fun suggestion game, if that makes sense. I wouldn't be compelled to invest time in them.

Some ideas: Avoid the "you are" title trend. Readers now associate it with games that die early and often. Readers want to be invested in a story, and for that to work well, it has to go on a LONG time. Don't stop when the suggestions start dwindling. The fact that so many of your suggestion games peter out quickly suggests that you also aren't invested. This may not be true, but as a reader, it seems like it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 21, 2014, 08:35:46 am »

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I have been going for the quantity over quality route in a bad way recently in terms of suggestion games. I think I'll have to think up a really, really good one. Although, I do just happen to have a few sprites hanging around... perhaps I'll make an image suggestion game out of an idea I had for a long while.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 21, 2014, 07:12:25 pm »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 21, 2014, 08:26:16 pm »

You know what you should do? Have the SCPs the players handle be actual SCPs from the list. Start with the famous ones, then go more and more obscure as a difficulty curve. That way you reward knowledge of the SCP Foundation but allow players who don't know about it, and lets you not have to worry about unique SCPs.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 21, 2014, 08:30:30 pm »

Start with the famous ones
I'd like to keep the total wipes at the beginning to a minimum thank you very much.

I was thinking of some way to decide on what the classing of the SCPs would be. I think a dice roll is a good idea.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 21, 2014, 08:34:07 pm »

Hey, if you know what you're doing, 173 is easy to handle in a team.

As for object classes, don't focus on them. A nuke counts as a safe object. Anyway, what if you roll keter on the first mission?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 238