Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407352 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #840 on: March 16, 2014, 11:03:51 am »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:06:36 am by freeformschooler »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 16, 2014, 02:33:06 pm »

If I were going to run it I'd refluff if as straight-up zombies (intelligent Legion, i guess) or robots or something. I don't know anything about kawaii uguu~
I could teach you, Pro-kun. ^_^

What if you could play men as well?

Surely that wouldn't ruin anything.
EVERYTHING

RUINED

FOREVER

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #842 on: March 16, 2014, 04:07:48 pm »

Okay, so in my game, a d20 RPG, a player is playing a litter of eight kittens. Its set in a science fiction setting where the party is on a ship and is tasked with exploring outer space following the discovery of faster than light travel. He wants to have eight actions per turn, but I don't know how to make that fair, especially in combat rounds.

NOT complaining, just asking for suggestions, because I really want to make it work for him, because he really wants to play this character straight, but it seems impossible to balance, and I feel helpless.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 16, 2014, 04:23:54 pm »

Make each action he takes in combat 1/8 as effective?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 16, 2014, 04:29:18 pm »

Give reductions to everything since Kittens are not very physically or mentally strong. Give him bonuses to overcome this weakness that can only be activated through adorable teamwork done with multiple kittens contributing to the same action at once.
It's FEF, not FEOF

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 16, 2014, 04:33:53 pm »

Well, before you give him 8 actions per turn, you should really look at the possibilities. After all, on the assumption that each player gets only 1 action  / turn. He would have the equivalent complication of 8 players.

Otherwise, it's rather simple. Where other players roll, for example, a d20, (average outcome: 10.5) he would ideally roll 7d2's. ((On average that has the same results. And no, it doesn't work with 8, unless you want to have dies with fractional results.))
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:43:21 pm by 10ebbor10 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 16, 2014, 04:42:13 pm »

Okay, so in my game, a d20 RPG, a player is playing a litter of eight kittens. Its set in a science fiction setting where the party is on a ship and is tasked with exploring outer space following the discovery of faster than light travel. He wants to have eight actions per turn, but I don't know how to make that fair, especially in combat rounds.

NOT complaining, just asking for suggestions, because I really want to make it work for him, because he really wants to play this character straight, but it seems impossible to balance, and I feel helpless.
Why does he want it? What does he want about it?

There's a lot of potential solutions, but it depends on what he and you are willing to give up or alter to make it happen.

As a generic suggestion, though, I'd recommend rolling once for all 8 actions (mainly for simplicity on your end, though it does have the advantage of keeping the character and their general fortune each round more coherent), and then scaling each action to an adorable kitten and/or 1/8th of a player. So he might be able to pull the pins from eight grenades at once, but attacking an enemy bareclawed is just going to deal 0 damage eight times. Similarly, he might need multiple actions to, say, haul a toolkit or give himself enough of a lift to reach the button on a door, though doing too much of that might defeat the purpose.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 16, 2014, 08:33:18 pm »

Why does he want it? What does he want about it?

There's a lot of potential solutions, but it depends on what he and you are willing to give up or alter to make it happen.

This. The easiest (read: laziest) solution would be to apply a penalty to everything he does which can be only offset by having another character (or more likely, another kitten) help. Pulling numbers out of my ass, flat -10 to most skills/combat with each kitten giving +1, any given stat check uses the shitty stacks of a weak newborn kitten. Yes, I know that means that even with every kitten pulling together he's still worse off than any other character, but I'd say that's balanced by having an unprecedentedly large action economy. And even then, remember that while he can potentially do 8 things at once, kittens have more troubles than humans; a human can probably push a button with no trouble, but a kitten needs to somehow climb up on top of the console without also pushing a Bad Button. It would take a lot of GM creativity and extra work, but it's doable.

But, as I said, that's just the quick lazy solution which works and makes the game playable but probably isn't the best solution for what you need.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #848 on: March 16, 2014, 10:48:07 pm »

Problem solved! We agreed that if the character played normally and didn't have extra actions, that it would have an ability that let it send out the kittens to perform tasks, with each kitten sent being a -1 to all actions. There was a little more to the discussion than that but the gist is we solved the problem. Thanks for the help! :3

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 20, 2014, 06:52:58 am »

You have no idea how long I sat here trying to work out the context of that post GUNINANRUNIN. I could have scrolled up, but that would have been admitting defeat.

Anyway, I've being toying with the idea of running a semi-automated game and I'd like to gauge people's interest in some ideas before I rewrite my program (that should support any of these ideas if I do it right this time):

Gladiator Management (original idea)
Players manage and/or place bets on gladiators. If a player doesn't post their actions for the turn, the game goes on (they simply didn't enter their gladiator or place any bets that turn). The program handles the fights and the crowd.

Multiverse Strategy
The players capture and use different universes to fight each other. The catch is that to assimilate a universe, you need to conquer it and you don't start with a top-tier universe. If you want to rush straight for WWII equipment, you'll have to storm the beaches of Normandy with Roman legionaries.

Single Universe Strategy
A more traditional take on the strategy game taking place in a single setting, like ancient Rome, WWII, or Warhammer Fantasy.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 20, 2014, 06:56:40 am »

One or two sound exciting. Two more so.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 20, 2014, 12:58:54 pm »

I like the Multiverse Strategy one myself.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 20, 2014, 01:01:14 pm »

I like the Multiverse Strategy one myself.
Especially if we get to go for alt-histories as well.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 20, 2014, 01:26:34 pm »

Aye, 1 & 2 sound interesting, 2 moreso.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 20, 2014, 01:39:57 pm »

So, unrelated question. Would anyone be interested in a SCP forum game? There was a RTD dodge one that was pretty interesting but met it's end soon and I was thinking something like that would be fun.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 238