Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407363 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #825 on: March 09, 2014, 02:14:05 am »

Well, I can see the forum already has a large collection of Fire Emblem by Forums games already, but a Final Fantasy Tactics/FEF cross, right?
Well, regardless, I just remembered and located probably the best frame for a FEF game ever. Garryl posted the rules so anyone could make a game with them. You could adapt these to your game, create some class templates and whatnot from these rules.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 09, 2014, 02:18:56 am »

Would there be any interest in a Nechronica game?
Seems wonky, or maybe just poorly organized. Also a little too moedark as written, though I'm sure that could be tweaked easily enough.

Certainly has some neat concepts, too. Four-eyed cannibal berserkers in frilly dresses are always nice.

By the way, anyone have suggestions on how to adjust the mechanics to fit into a forum game more easily?
Of what, FFTA2? I'm not really familiar with them, but my advice would be to build from the ground up using them as inspiration, rather than starting with the existing mechanics and trying to trim them down.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 09, 2014, 09:52:17 pm »

Alright. Bastard child of a game is in creation process. Just need to figure out exacting stuff, I think, like balancing character creation and all that. And making sure I have all the growths and stats and such somewhere safe.

Specifics of storyline, I think, can come while characters are being built.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 11, 2014, 09:16:32 pm »

Seems wonky, or maybe just poorly organized. Also a little too moedark as written, though I'm sure that could be tweaked easily enough.

Certainly has some neat concepts, too. Four-eyed cannibal berserkers in frilly dresses are always nice.
It's certainly poorly organised. I'm not sure if that's from the original game, the translation, or this particular version of the translation.

If I were going to run it I'd refluff if as straight-up zombies (intelligent Legion, i guess) or robots or something. I don't know anything about kawaii uguu~

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 11, 2014, 09:18:44 pm »

I thought the concept was creepy and awesome.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 15, 2014, 05:18:50 pm »

Alright. I basically have everything done save maps and all that crap. I have a question for those of you still interested.

Would you prefer more Final Fantasy Tactics inspired rules or more Fire Emblem inspired rules? I can list the differences between the two, but it mostly comes down to Final Fantasy being more tactical and Fire Emblem being more strategic. As well as, to a certain point, the severity and seriousness of the gameplay, of course.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 15, 2014, 05:23:32 pm »

Explain the difference between tactics and strategy.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 15, 2014, 05:26:06 pm »

Explain the difference between tactics and strategy.
Strategy is more grand than tactics. Tactics is taking cover, while strategy is coordinating separate armies to flank an enemy simultaneously.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 15, 2014, 05:37:22 pm »

Tactics win battles, strategy wins wars.

As an example of the difference, even though they are both grid based games, there is a significant difference in overall movement and playstyle(in certain ways);

Movement in Final Fantasy Tactics is more limited in some ways than Fire Emblem; Typical movement ratings for characters range from 3-4, in some situations able to be boosted to 5-6, and in even rarer situations, getting up to 7-8(as in, a Chocobo Knight on a White Chocobo with Ninja Tabi is the only way to get 8 movement, and I don't even know if that would work). Enemies are typically the same move speed or slower. Characters can jump up elevation up to their Jump rating with no penalty, and can some times jump over gaps or obstacles(presumably, as far as I can tell, this adds 2 to the effective elevation), also without move penalty(though the panel jumped does count towards movement for the round). This elevation is what typically presents movement challenges(besides impassable terrain), and other than water(which certain races can't enter, but works normally for all others), all terrain is effectively the same; nothing costs additional movement.

Movement in Fire Emblem is typically in the range of anywhere from 4-6 for typical characters, reaching 10 for things like Nomad Rangers on plains. Some terrain blocks movement, some costs additional movement, especially if you're of one movement type or another.

However, the balance to this is how ranged attacks work; in Fire Emblem, ranged weapons and magic vary from 1-3 range, depending on the exact things involved. In Final Fantasy Tactics, they have a max range between 4 and 8, typically, and just because someone is adjacent to you doesn't mean you can't shoot them in the face.

Also, it's a matter of whether you choose your stat growths, are stuck with them, and just get a set of stats,(Fire Emblem), or whether your stat growths depend on your job when you level up/the main one you'd been for that level, can affect your stat growths overall only slightly, and can choose your own stats(plus being able to switch jobs).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 15, 2014, 05:40:09 pm »

I'll go with Final fantasy.

It's a bit simpler but from the way you describe it I can customize my character better.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 15, 2014, 06:05:07 pm »

Well, regardless, I just remembered and located probably the best frame for a FEF game ever. Garryl posted the rules so anyone could make a game with them.
Customize your character better, you say?

Although, yes, it does sound like FFT allows for more customization. I'd say a 60/40% FFT/FEF mix sounds good right now.
The Cyan Menace

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #836 on: March 15, 2014, 06:36:22 pm »

That sounds hardcore, except I'm not into the whole "something-something girls" thing. Not hate, just not interested. But the idea that everyone's dead is a very, VERY interesting one.

EDIT: Also, has a thread been made for the Final Fantasy on Forums thing yet? If not can I be notified? Do want. *grabhands* :o
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:39:15 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 15, 2014, 06:37:49 pm »

What if you could play men as well?

Surely that wouldn't ruin anything.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 15, 2014, 08:40:42 pm »

Hasn't been made yet, will send PM to interested parties(As in, PM me that you're interested) when I do make it. I'd like to recruit a pixel artist before I do too much with it, though I suppose the OOC thread could go up once mechanics are finalized.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 15, 2014, 08:52:30 pm »

I'm not great at pixel art, but dabble in it every so often. If you're interested, I could whip up a portfolio of pixelly things quick.
Though generally games with player-generated-pixel-art have >1 artist, by my experience. Generally some guidelines and stuff, but around half the players wind up making their own stuff, and some of those make the art for the other half too.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 238