Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407331 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #810 on: February 28, 2014, 11:39:02 pm »

Wasn't there a guy who made a FFTF a while back? It had a lot of work put into it but seems it died out pretty quickly. Maybe looking at that could help?

EDIT: Found it!
It's FEF, not FEOF

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 28, 2014, 11:42:23 pm »

WHY DID THIS DIE?

Anyway, since everyone's doing it and I've been playing a shitton of Final Fantasy recently, what do you guys think of a Final Fantasy Emblem? FFE, rather than FEF, as confusing as that is(not my fault they have similar acronyms!)?

It would be heavily influenced by Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advanced, and Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift(mostly the latter, I would think, since that's the one I have), and mostly use the Fire Emblem mechanics, heavily modified(the degree of which is half of what I'm here to ask about), in a Final Fantasy setting, with Final Fantasy jobs/races. Inspired by other Final Fantasy games, too, of course, but Tactics was itself based off Fire Emblem, I think.

What do you guys think? And how much should the rules shift?

And is anyone good at pixel art and/or knows how I could get better?

Yes yes yes FFF would be incredible.

Shoruke tried it once, but it was over real quick.

I would suggest you look at the rules for the original Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA). It seems most suited for this kind of conversion. It was all about class changes and swapping out weapons to learn new abilities. You probably would have difficulty converting the FEF system unless it ends up being final fantasy "IN NAME ONLY."

You get better at pixel art by getting better at regular art. Unfortunately. You can google pixel art and spriting tutorials for general tips, but generally, doing traditional art and learning the rules of form, lighting, and space is the best way to improve in a reduced medium like pixel art.

There are always pixel artists on the forum willing to volunteer their time. Some of them are quite good.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 01, 2014, 12:16:05 am »

Well, since I'm a lazy bastard, I'd probably just pawn off all the true art on the actual artist person I know; I was mostly thinking for sprites and the like. Though it would be good to be able to do it myself, too.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 01, 2014, 12:36:19 am »

I was one of the people in the the Final fantasy thing and I do have a great amount of interest in it.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 01, 2014, 08:07:35 am »

EDIT: OH GOD I JUST REALIZED ANOTHER IDEA.

It might be awesome. It might be dumb. Worth saying either way.

Perplexicon, but instead of words, songs, or pieces of songs. Battle of the Bards. You string together songs to make your magic, and the song/verse or whatever has to do with the effect, somehow, no matter how obscure. And it may be very obscure. Probably less cool in practice than theory, though.
That sounds amazing.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 01, 2014, 08:15:04 am »

EDIT: OH GOD I JUST REALIZED ANOTHER IDEA.

It might be awesome. It might be dumb. Worth saying either way.

Perplexicon, but instead of words, songs, or pieces of songs. Battle of the Bards. You string together songs to make your magic, and the song/verse or whatever has to do with the effect, somehow, no matter how obscure. And it may be very obscure. Probably less cool in practice than theory, though.
That sounds amazing.

Yes, but how would it work? Would the players pick songs to throw in? How would the effect be determined; song title, a verse/lyrics, the whole song as interpreted by the GM? I like music-based games in general, so you have my axe.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 01, 2014, 06:00:22 pm »

GM fiat. Probably a list of songs, but more might be 'discovered' as the game goes on.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 01, 2014, 06:04:59 pm »

Song Summoner: The Unsung Heroes on Forums?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 04, 2014, 10:26:06 pm »

Alright. I've been playing the game rather a lot, and looking at guides for the underlying mechanics, and even found out the damage formulas.

Naturally, I will disregard all of that, and simply make something far easier to keep a handle on. Which is more to say that the numbers will be rather smaller, hopefully. Maybe not; it's still just math, after all, even if it's a lot of it. I will in all likelihood be bastardizing both FEF and FFTF as well as the actual mechanics for Grimoire of the Rift, though I could say screw it to the tactics portion (as that is truly the most difficult part of the endeavour) and simply make Final Fantasy on Forums, no tactics necessary, using the old, usual system of the party lined up against the enemy. However, this would probably be rather boring.

I also run into the issue of wanting to add additional classes(so that if you decide to be a bangaa, you have the decision to be a spellcaster other than the *shudders* bishop if you want to for whatever reason), needing to figure out the (exact, I know the general) relative growth rates for the various existing classes, unique classes for everyone and how much customization they should have for that, a suitably melodramatic storyline and/or title, and, of course, making maps, how to run turns, keeping everything organized, and having enough time.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 04, 2014, 10:30:40 pm »

Initiative based on the dex stat is always a good way for turns. And I don't really care about fights being boring as that seems to be something Final Fantsy anyways. I play for the story!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:47 pm »

Yeah, but that brings up it's own issue. A battle in a forum game takes forever, and tend to be momentous events. Battles in Final Fantasy are meant to be short things, for you to level up a bit, perhaps grind up a bit, and really aren't all that important individually, until boss battles, at least.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 04, 2014, 10:48:43 pm »

Maybe scale that to everything. Or make it more like normal forum RPGs and make it so that people get more options like neing able to flank for a bonus or learn skills from trying new tactics so it's more strategic than just 'skill, skill, attack, item'.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 05, 2014, 12:10:13 am »

Would there be any interest in a Nechronica game?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 08, 2014, 10:19:03 pm »

Good news, everyone!

I now have info on stat growths, easy access to weapon and item stats and the like, and the resolve to make this game work.

Now all I need is a decent way of displaying the map, the ability to make pixel sprites, maybe some changes to game mechanics(simplifying numbers, mostly, though it would probably be significantly different in several ways to fit in with a forum game), and of course a plot. Which I have in general, the issue is a concrete one. Maybe I'll ask Haspen for advice on how to kill my players run the game with a good story and such.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 09, 2014, 12:55:10 am »

By the way, anyone have suggestions on how to adjust the mechanics to fit into a forum game more easily?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 238