Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407007 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #645 on: November 05, 2013, 08:05:59 pm »

You have gotten my attention. Now elaborate it please?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #646 on: November 05, 2013, 08:29:39 pm »

Making a thread right now.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 05, 2013, 09:06:34 pm »

Hey guys, I had an idea for a Free-base Arena Fighter WWE-Style Game based off of "Def Jam: Fight for NY".

Does anyone know a good system for Arena Fighting, Wrestling, Damage Calculations, and K.O. Rules? So far, I'm looking at expanding upon ExKirby's combat rules in his Bay Wrestling Federation RTD.

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

I don't plan to use this exact method, but I like it as a starting point for the combat fundamentals of the game. I want to expand further, like how I would handle K.O.'s and Submissions, as I am promoting the usage of differing fighting styles for each character.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 05, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »

K.O's could be done if, when the opponent is below a certain fatigue, the player does their "Signature Move" or one of their "Power Moves" which have low negatives if they fail but can only be used once.

I don't really know what a submission is though so... yeah.

I would think that "Favor" should be a stat of some importance. It basically represents the audiences "Favor" for the fighters. Maybe a high favor could result in some fatigue being gained back?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 05, 2013, 09:11:41 pm »

Hey guys, I had an idea for a Free-base Arena Fighter WWE-Style Game based off of "Def Jam: Fight for NY".

Does anyone know a good system for Arena Fighting, Wrestling, Damage Calculations, and K.O. Rules? So far, I'm looking at expanding upon ExKirby's combat rules in his Bay Wrestling Federation RTD.

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

I don't plan to use this exact method, but I like it as a starting point for the combat fundamentals of the game. I want to expand further, like how I would handle K.O.'s and Submissions, as I am promoting the usage of differing fighting styles for each character.
Real Life. Use formulas from physics to calculate things.

It is quite literally the perfect system.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 05, 2013, 09:29:15 pm »

K.O's could be done if, when the opponent is below a certain fatigue, the player does their "Signature Move" or one of their "Power Moves" which have low negatives if they fail but can only be used once.

I don't really know what a submission is though so... yeah.

I would think that "Favor" should be a stat of some importance. It basically represents the audiences "Favor" for the fighters. Maybe a high favor could result in some fatigue being gained back?

I was thinking something similar with the Finisher-Based K.O., the only issue being if they miss in the way you're saying, then they can't use it again. This is why I also have pondered the use of "Environmental Finishers" from Def Jam, as slamming someone's head into a concrete wall or an amplifier should be enough to knock them out cold.

Submissions refer to holds on a certain section of the body, such as an arm, leg, or neck, that cause pain and massive discomfort to whomever they are applied. The fighter under the submission must either get out of it, or forfeit the match. This is the system used in real life sport wrestling.

There will be a Reputation factor for the relationship with a fighter to their audience, though I don't see how it would result in them getting healed. I'm not a big fan of healing in the first place, I think the best matches are when the last beaten fighters struggle at each other in a scenario where one hit could end everything.

Real Life. Use formulas from physics to calculate things.

It is quite literally the perfect system.

I feel like that would detract from the game's Def Jam and WWE Wrestling, where the most impractical and inefficient moves were also the most spectacular and devastating. 
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 06, 2013, 02:04:59 am »

I think Remuthra is trolling you. That is the only reason I can think of that a sane person would make such a suggestion.

Anyway, couldn't you also have some sort of pain meter or something? So certain moves could be more painful than they are "fatiguing", and once you reach a fighter's pain threshold they give in. And perhaps it can have certain effects on people before that. Though I'm thinking maybe the pain meter would have to go down somewhat in absence of ongoing stimuli, so I don't know how well that would work out.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 06, 2013, 06:34:06 am »

Nope, I actually tried to make a game once using that system. The players defaulted, though.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 06, 2013, 09:58:29 pm »

Anyway, couldn't you also have some sort of pain meter or something? So certain moves could be more painful than they are "fatiguing", and once you reach a fighter's pain threshold they give in. And perhaps it can have certain effects on people before that. Though I'm thinking maybe the pain meter would have to go down somewhat in absence of ongoing stimuli, so I don't know how well that would work out.

Pain would fit more along the lines of Wrestling and Submissions. I've been trying to find a way to branch together "General" Damage with "Submission" Damage in the end, as someone whose been subject to several attacks would be easier to submit.

This is what I've come up with so far, (Note that I'm using Damage and Fatigue interchangeably, I'm still deciding on which term to use):

D12 -(Fatigue/10) = Submission #. If D6 > Submission #, submissive fighter surrenders.

This is what I've now developed for K.O.s:

Finishers are unique to each fighter, and have a larger Damage Range, meaning that they cause much more damage than regular attacks, but also inflict more-self damage if missed.

Knockout Conditions: 100 - Total Damage Received < Damage of Successful Finisher

Both these systems are subject to critique and change.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 07, 2013, 05:06:50 pm »

So I've been playing Evil Genius again, and it does make excellent material for a forum game. Terenos already made 2 excellent games based on it , but really, would be interesting to see a third.

Though If I were to run one, it'd most likely be a suggestion game to deal with complexity.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 05:10:03 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 07, 2013, 05:10:40 pm »

*Hint Hint*
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 11, 2013, 02:05:35 pm »

I thought of something fun.

What if you had a roleplay that had two threads: one played like an RTD, very dry (Terry attacks the soldier. Terry kills him.). However, there was another thread where it played like a freeform roleplay, except it's influenced by the RTD thread. You can write all you like about what happened, influenced by your character's style (If Terry's more the type to run away and be cowardly, Terry's player could write that Terry ran away from the soldier, hid, then bashed his head in from behind while the soldier was still looking around) but it has to follow what was said in the RTD: if it says the soldier was killed by Terry, Terry killed the soldier and that's that.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 11, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »

I can see the heartrending tragedy played through the soldier's death throes, recounting his dark past, overcoming his problems, and becoming a better person. He founds a family, but soon has to turn to less legal paths to support them. His past catches up to him, but he's working towards redeeming himself one last time... and then the hero comes along and kills him without a moment's thought. As he lies in a puddle of his own blood, just holding onto his love for his wife... and another protagonist comes along and chops him up so they can use his bodyparts for a sculpture he forgets about immediately.

Yeah, sounds like a nice idea. Poor unnamed mook #67.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 11, 2013, 02:19:56 pm »

Alas, he died too soon. Only one more day until retirement.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 11, 2013, 04:14:36 pm »

I can see the heartrending tragedy played through the soldier's death throes, recounting his dark past, overcoming his problems, and becoming a better person. He founds a family, but soon has to turn to less legal paths to support them. His past catches up to him, but he's working towards redeeming himself one last time... and then the hero comes along and kills him without a moment's thought. As he lies in a puddle of his own blood, just holding onto his love for his wife... and another protagonist comes along and chops him up so they can use his bodyparts for a sculpture he forgets about immediately.

Yeah, sounds like a nice idea. Poor unnamed mook #67.

Vaguely reminds me of the plot from Red Dead Redemption.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 238