Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407259 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »

I don't know if I even had dice rolls in the original! It ran mostly on narrativium (like all good things) with arbitarily granted/taken Divine Essence.

That's no good. That's no good at all. Getting too close to freeform RP that way.

Also, you need more of an established setting (if there isn't already one - it's . A generation of previous gods, for instance (like titans), plus other ones. A bunch of old, power-mad, stuffy deities keeping all the young, cool gods with all the great ideas down! It would help players form objectives of their own, as well as provide enemies to square off against.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2013, 03:39:38 pm »

Slumbering titans are always nice, old gods possibly nice. There were other similarly new gods in the original too, mind you. But I have bad news for you on the dangerously freeform front. I'm fairly sure that Godhoods and most derivatives... don't use rolls at all! *shudder*

I regard them as more creative writing exercises anyway, but they do have enough mechanics to be called games too.

Also, uhh, 'players'. Just like the original posters, you seem convinced this is a multi game when it goes against the whole point of the Aspect system. Damn.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »

It's more fun if there's more players. That is also my suggestion. Make it multiplayer. Adds another level of fun to it. Don't Godhood games have many players, anyway? Seems rather strange to have a near-freeform sorta-game with only one character, at least to me. Also, gods failing at stuff they want to do does happen in Greek mythology, I'm sure. So there. You need rolls. Particularly if you get more players, which I really think you should.

Also, I don't see how that really conflicts with the Aspect system, at least not overtly. You can still have other gods spring up from you, what's the problem? You'd eventually wind up getting many players anyway if two suggestion blocs decided to go their separate ways.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:51:21 pm by Harry Baldman »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2013, 04:51:38 pm »

Sounds just like a suggestion god game to me. We could always use more of those anyhow.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2013, 04:53:03 pm »

@HB: I get the feeling you didn't actually (understandably) read the original thread. Managing a separate game for every player, which kilakan tried, is too timeconsuming to me atleast. But anyway, the failures came from the decisions and acts themselves (ie, GM fiat), not the cruel winds of random fate. I'm not opposed to dice rolls by any means, mind you, but they're hardly necessary in everything.

EDIT: The Aspect system was purposefully designed to work through the contradictory whims of suggesting posters. As a multi game, you'd need teams of players for each god. Which is possible, of course, but a lot of work and breaking up the focus.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:03:21 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2013, 05:09:33 pm »

Why a separate game for each player, if I may ask? The gods would be in the same world, interacting with the same gods and possibly competing for the attentions of the same people.

Also, GM fiat is notoriously biased toward reason and sensibility. And cruel fate frequently shakes things up in an unexpected fashion that is hard for a GM to imitate.

But about the Aspect system, I'm curious - if an Aspect splits off as you describe, do only the people who suggested for it in the first place control it, does it go out of control, what?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2013, 05:15:30 pm »

Just a way of saying that you'd have to do the same amount of work for several people instead. It would be the same world still.

A split-off Aspect becomes an NPC, unless reabsorbed. In the original, the one created was friendly and submissive mainly due to how it came to being, but there's no guarantee of that. You could be your own worst enemy. There was also something about taking defeated gods as your own Aspects, hmh.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2013, 08:10:30 pm »

Doing lots of rules-writing and balancing and such for a tactical multiplayer forum game. Can I pick some brains for general feedback, critiques, concerns, whether it makes any sense at all, etc?

Spoiler: CHARACTER RACES: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: CHARACTER CLASSES: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TECHNIQUES: (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:00:40 pm by Solifuge »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2013, 08:41:01 pm »

Ohai Phantasy Star.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 08, 2013, 03:40:50 pm »

So... I've been thinking about running a Disciples II esque game with a couple of minor changes to make it more acceptable to the forum game format. It's still sorta in the planning stages but I was thinking to include the following changes:

1. Multiple players can be part of any of the available factions. Each player would be allowed to have a single party that they control entirely.

2. Upgrade trees are not mutually exclusive. You'd still have to build the proper buildings but you can now have multiple people in your party.

3. Rod Planters have a leadership of 3 [Hero + 2 units instead of Hero + Unit]

4. Some slight changes to various units.

I was wondering if there was any sort of interest in this sort've thing before I go through the trouble of actually doing all of this.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 08, 2013, 07:28:38 pm »

So I decided to make a game that simulates Survival Horror games. It will be an RPG with a top-down map system. I worked out how to simulate the situation slowly getting worse over time, doing morally ambigous things in the heat of the moment, and (later, once I work out the traits) unique boss enemies. The monsters are called Horrors, if you were wondering.

Here's the stuff I have so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:29 am »

While I dunno about the actual mechanics, I like the premise of the game very much.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 09, 2013, 03:18:10 am »

I, on the other hand, like the mechanics very much. The premise, too, though.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 09, 2013, 03:28:57 am »

Since premises are a dime a dozen, I'll ignore it. The mechanics though are rather interesting, reminding me of the "fate points" you find in the WH40K RPG's. I only see it working if you apply it to a system where everything is mainly dice based, and dependent on character skill/knowledge. I assume you're doing this for obvious reasons, but if you intended them to be the main focus of the mechanics, then it'll just seem out of place to be burning and gaining back all of these points, to do these extraordinary things.

It's a nice supplement to a standard d20 dice rolling system, and I might "borrow" the general idea for something I want to do.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:09 am »

Kay, so I worked how boss horrors should work.

Spoiler: Bosses (click to show/hide)
And also I made a few examples of bosses to show how versatile you can make your bosses. These wouldn't show up if I was actually doing a game: you would have to figure out their perks and drawbacks.
Spoiler: Examples of Bosses (click to show/hide)

I also worked out a different way of doing GMing that prevents GM burnout. I think it might have been done before, and it'd be nice to know if how those attempts went.

Basically, you can ask for two positions. You can be a player or a GM. You can also ask to be both. The games would go in rounds, so the players and GMs could be switched out. The GMs would go down the list and be added at the bottom of it, like a succession game, but the difference being it eventually goes back to the first GM then back down again.

One thing I do need to work out is how safezones should be established... I'm not sure how to do that. So, yes. Thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 238