Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407744 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2490 on: October 22, 2015, 09:43:37 am »

I finished making the initial perks for the players.

Spoiler: perks for everyone (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Brawler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Charmer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Monk (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Artist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ninja (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Everyman (click to show/hide)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: October 22, 2015, 07:37:49 pm »

What, you can't be a nerd?

Instantsuck, 2/10 :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: October 22, 2015, 07:43:01 pm »

You can't be a nerd if you already are one.  :P

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: October 22, 2015, 07:48:42 pm »

What, you can't be a nerd?

Instantsuck, 2/10 :P

Actually, in that context, how about including the famed "Wizard" Class? ;p

On a more serious note, the "Everyman" "Airhorn" perk, seems kind of underpowered. Unless natural 20's aren't crits, that is - else, it might be more worth it to give out crits on natural 19's as well.

Actually, how will all these plentiful combat-placings (like flanking) be handled? As example how would it be decided if you are (not) flanking, especially if multiple actors target the same enemy?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: October 22, 2015, 07:52:51 pm »

On a more serious note, the "Everyman" "Airhorn" perk, seems kind of underpowered. Unless natural 20's aren't crits, that is - else, it might be more worth it to give out crits on natural 19's as well.

Actually, how will all these plentiful combat-placings (like flanking) be handled? As example how would it be decided if you are (not) flanking, especially if multiple actors target the same enemy?
Crits are not in the system. After all, master Martial Artists never get hit with a lucky strike. /s

And combat will be on a grid system. Otherwise there would be no reason to include Flanking or ranged combat.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: October 24, 2015, 07:13:55 pm »

Heey, it's "I-ask-for-feedback" time again!

So, Overseer AI, a game which I'm actually really enjoying doing. I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback to the formatting/style of the updates. (Or anything else, but formatting/style is number one concern.) The page I linked to (page 7) has a rather lengthy update which is what spawned this concern for formatting.

So really, I'm just wondering if there are any obvious improvements to the way I structure my updates so I could make my updates more readable and/or present info in a better/more readable fashion.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: October 25, 2015, 04:51:53 am »

So, Overseer AI, a game which I'm actually really enjoying doing. I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback to the formatting/style of the updates. (Or anything else, but formatting/style is number one concern.) The page I linked to (page 7) has a rather lengthy update which is what spawned this concern for formatting.

So really, I'm just wondering if there are any obvious improvements to the way I structure my updates so I could make my updates more readable and/or present info in a better/more readable fashion.

It works. End of the post where current status is tends to be a bit confusing, but not to the point where it becomes an issue.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: October 25, 2015, 05:54:59 am »

The theme of the game, makes this formatting work. I mean, that is pretty much the style one would expect from an AI, or how one would communicate with it.

Important things, like the input in green, talking in blue, and misc stuff at the end, are coloured, which is very pleasing to the eye, as it breaks up what would else be a wall of text. Only thing that comes to mind, would be to "distance" the cycle report and other misc repating-end-of-turn stuff, either with two-a-three empty lines, or a [hr ]. Just a clear break, as to indicate "turn ends here, now for the upkeep".

Else, while I know that it already was a topic in that thread, limiting the number of actions that the AI can take, is key to having manageable-to-write updates and easy-to-read turns.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: October 26, 2015, 06:32:21 am »

Any not dice-controlled boardgames here?
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: October 26, 2015, 11:09:09 pm »

Right so, trying to design a game that takes a bit of influence from Dark Souls and whatnot by giving weapons a moveset rather than just being sticks of varying sizes that people use to confer stats bonuses to themselves.

So what I'm thinking is to have a card-based system. Each character has a deck representing their innate skills, each weapon has a deck representing their properties. A character's arsenal, which they actually use in combat, consists of cards selected from their own deck and their weapon's deck with a set chance to draw. Since the cards and ratios are player-selected, they can ensure that they never draw cards they don't have much use for, and ensure that the probability they draw a card they need more often is higher. Provided of course the ratio isn't something ridiculous, like setting a card's draw probability to 0.0001% or something. And yes, this means that it is impossible to deck out, that's why it's called an arsenal, not a deck (and also because trying to call it a 'deck' or 'card set' would make it really confusing really quickly).

Cards fall into one of three categories: Action, Impulse and Tactic.

Action cards represent some sort of action (usually an attack) their user intends to perform. These are more or less the backbone of every arsenal. You need to pay a deployment cost (in the form of Focus which is basically MP) to play one. It will then gain charge every turn (usually 1 charge per turn). When it has enough charge, it becomes readied, meaning it can be declared or overwritten, it still gains charge though. If you declare the card, it will destroy itself at the end of the turn and use its ignition and impact effects. Or, you can overwrite it, where you destroy it to play another action card which inherits all the charge and ignition effects (it will still have its own ignition effects as well), the catch being that the overwriting card must inherit enough charge to immediately become readied, and that it will automatically declare itself.

Tactic cards represent some sort of plan that extends beyond "stab pointy end of weapon into soft fleshy bits of enemy". They have upkeep costs that need to be paid each turn (which can take the form of Focus costs, raising deployment costs, draining charge from action cards, preventing more cards from being drawn, etc) and in return provide some sort of continuous effect.

Impulse cards represent the user going "fuck it" and doing something without any planning at all. So they usually, don't cost any focus to play instead requiring Action and Tactic cards to be sacrificed. They do not require any charging at all and automatically execute at the end of the turn.

Fog of war will be in effect, so characters can only see the hands and cards of their allies. Even the deployed ones. Since combat will be grid-based, characters would still be able to evade attacks even if they have no idea what their opponent's cards are (such as by deducing the person with a giant sword is probably not going to be able to do much if you don't stand too close to them).

Does anything with this system immediately jump out as being horribly broken, abusable or poorly named?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: October 27, 2015, 02:58:58 pm »

Well, the only thing that worries me is the fact that overwriting cards might be OP depending on what you replace it with. Of course, maybe it won't be.

Despite your large post, there is not enough information to accurately gauge things like balance. If you want us to make a judgement call on an issue like that, you'd have to show us something like... sample cards for example. The balance of a card game is mostly determined by the cards (and decks), not the general rules. Especially since cards have a tendency to overwrite them so often.

As for the game, it sounds like an interesting concept and I'd love to try it.

PS: This is a link to a video made by totalbiscuit. It talks about card games and it used this WWE wrestling boardgame that is surprisingly similar to yours (don't worry, it's a good boardgame) as an example. Both have grid based combat and each wrestler has their own deck (similar to how each weapon has their own deck).

Your millage may vary but check it out, you might get some ideas (It's not entirely about the wrestling board game though so you'll have to watch a bit of irrelevant stuff first).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFVly3iZYaQ
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 01, 2015, 04:02:01 pm »

Age of Discovery

A card based game, in which players try to gather a collection of trade outposts in far away lands, with as ultimate goal to try and establish a trade monopoly, becoming a dominant economical power.

Spoiler: General concept (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Doing a trade Run (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Typical Turn (click to show/hide)

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 08, 2015, 09:33:35 pm »

First, how does the One Roll Engine work. Specifically how power creation works. I've taken a look at it, but I don't get it. I plan to use Nemesis for my game, which I will tell you of right now.

I'm currently going under World Building for my Horror Sandbox game. If you like Vampires, Gothic Horror, or Lovecraftian Abominations, give it a check, and maybe take part in the world building! Join Us Now! I'm Lonely!
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: November 08, 2015, 11:18:19 pm »

Right so, trying to design a game that takes a bit of influence from Dark Souls and whatnot by giving weapons a moveset rather than just being sticks of varying sizes that people use to confer stats bonuses to themselves.

So what I'm thinking is to have a card-based system. Each character has a deck representing their innate skills, each weapon has a deck representing their properties. A character's arsenal, which they actually use in combat, consists of cards selected from their own deck and their weapon's deck with a set chance to draw. Since the cards and ratios are player-selected, they can ensure that they never draw cards they don't have much use for, and ensure that the probability they draw a card they need more often is higher. Provided of course the ratio isn't something ridiculous, like setting a card's draw probability to 0.0001% or something. And yes, this means that it is impossible to deck out, that's why it's called an arsenal, not a deck (and also because trying to call it a 'deck' or 'card set' would make it really confusing really quickly).

Cards fall into one of three categories: Action, Impulse and Tactic.

Action cards represent some sort of action (usually an attack) their user intends to perform. These are more or less the backbone of every arsenal. You need to pay a deployment cost (in the form of Focus which is basically MP) to play one. It will then gain charge every turn (usually 1 charge per turn). When it has enough charge, it becomes readied, meaning it can be declared or overwritten, it still gains charge though. If you declare the card, it will destroy itself at the end of the turn and use its ignition and impact effects. Or, you can overwrite it, where you destroy it to play another action card which inherits all the charge and ignition effects (it will still have its own ignition effects as well), the catch being that the overwriting card must inherit enough charge to immediately become readied, and that it will automatically declare itself.

Tactic cards represent some sort of plan that extends beyond "stab pointy end of weapon into soft fleshy bits of enemy". They have upkeep costs that need to be paid each turn (which can take the form of Focus costs, raising deployment costs, draining charge from action cards, preventing more cards from being drawn, etc) and in return provide some sort of continuous effect.

Impulse cards represent the user going "fuck it" and doing something without any planning at all. So they usually, don't cost any focus to play instead requiring Action and Tactic cards to be sacrificed. They do not require any charging at all and automatically execute at the end of the turn.

Fog of war will be in effect, so characters can only see the hands and cards of their allies. Even the deployed ones. Since combat will be grid-based, characters would still be able to evade attacks even if they have no idea what their opponent's cards are (such as by deducing the person with a giant sword is probably not going to be able to do much if you don't stand too close to them).

Does anything with this system immediately jump out as being horribly broken, abusable or poorly named?
Have you heard of Card Hunter?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 09, 2015, 07:40:08 am »

I just want to say that although your system may not be innovative, it doesn't mean it isn't good. As far as I know, there hasn't been any card-hunter-on-the-forums yet.

Don't feel discouraged.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 238