Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407712 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2460 on: October 18, 2015, 12:18:02 am »

That kobold sounds bad ass.
Phrenic, spell-stitched, and half-fey are notable for being able to give mundanes some scaling psuedo-spell-casting. Check 'em out if you're giving fighter-types free LA.
They'd only be applicable on tier six classes, though, aka, the worst of the worst: Commoners, Aristocrats and CW Samurai.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: October 18, 2015, 05:51:19 pm »

I can't imagine a game I'd ever permit phrenic. I doubt I'd permit half-fey, either.

Spell-stitched has be on undead, and it doesn't have an LA modifier at all, so it wuld suggest to me not to be permissable for players. In addition, I'd say the nature of the template itself means the recipricent shouldn't get scaling spell casting - since the spells are imbued upon the creation of the spell-stitched, I'd say the SS should be limited to the spells it is created with or require a spell caster to add more as WIS increases.

----

I was looking at the were-wasp, and noticed a few interesting little differences between lycanthropy and Entomanothropy. Bug-weres have only one difference between inflicted and natural, and that's inflicted can't spread their were-ism, but it would seem they cost the same LA.
Entos, compared to traditional lycans:

The good
Entos seem to have the same sized hybrid form as base creature, since they can choose the size of the vermin they shift into.
They can also command as per command undead (but with their bug, obviously) to an extent, have immunity to mind-affecting affects in their entirety, and darkvision instead of low-light vision.
They get their bugs natural attack with associated poison, which can range from good to worthless.
Flying lycans can only fly in their animal forms, but entos gain flying speed in hybrid as well.
Natural or afflicted, either way werebugs don't have to worry about alignment change or rampages at night.
Entos gain the base saves of their bug, which can be a big increase or minimal compared to the lycans Iron Will and +2 fort and reflex.

The bad
Entos get +2 wis much can lycans but also suffer -2int.
Their hybrid forms don't get the same 2 natural claws and bite as a lycan does, merely getting the same attack as the bug, but were-scorpions do get claws as well.
Natural entos only have 5DR/silver, though I suppose their lower LA makes up for that.
Animals can have some pretty gruesome abilities a ento can't get.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: October 18, 2015, 06:03:32 pm »

It's also possible to make your own Ento based on any vermin in the game, including Megapedes, a CR 20 Vermin, and it'll only ever cost 2 LA.
However, there is a very small amount of vermin in the game.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: October 18, 2015, 06:10:09 pm »

Only if the base creature is Gargantuan can they be a were-megapede. The bug size can be up to one size cat larger (but no restrictions are made for smaller, so arguably you could be a were-tiny spider.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: October 18, 2015, 06:22:13 pm »

Oh, yeah, good point.
But being a tiny spider... that'd be kinda cool.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 18, 2015, 06:26:22 pm »

You could hide on one of your allies. When they get into a fight, scuttle behind the enemies, relying on the fact you're a tiny-ass spider and they have bigger things to worry about.

Transform into a hybrid form and bam! Instant flanking.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 18, 2015, 07:15:29 pm »

There are werewasps.
Go home, 3.5, you're drunk.
Haha, wow, I might need to make one of those.
Mate, I don't remember what edition it was from, but there are were-asses (not were-asses, these are donkeys that turn into humans).
Yes. Their equivalent to a berserk rampage is to go engage in commerce.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: October 18, 2015, 10:39:38 pm »

That kobold sounds bad ass.
Phrenic, spell-stitched, and half-fey are notable for being able to give mundanes some scaling psuedo-spell-casting. Check 'em out if you're giving fighter-types free LA.
They'd only be applicable on tier six classes, though, aka, the worst of the worst: Commoners, Aristocrats and CW Samurai.
Well, you could just stomach the LA. Also, thanks.

I can't imagine a game I'd ever permit phrenic. I doubt I'd permit half-fey, either.

Spell-stitched has be on undead, and it doesn't have an LA modifier at all, so it wuld suggest to me not to be permissable for players. In addition, I'd say the nature of the template itself means the recipricent shouldn't get scaling spell casting - since the spells are imbued upon the creation of the spell-stitched, I'd say the SS should be limited to the spells it is created with or require a spell caster to add more as WIS increases.
Well, if someone wanted to play a gish, I'd probably allow one of them.

Yeah, spell-stitched doesn't scale. However, the main point of it is that you cast your spell-stitched spells as SLA's, meaning that you don't have to pay any xp or material component costs for them when you cast them. This allows for free Animate Dead's and some other normally too-expensive-to-use spells to be spammed up to 1-3 times per day. You could, for instance, be able to fire off an Animate Dread Warrior once per day. For those of you unfamiliar with ADW, it raises a dead creature as an intelligent undead that is permanently under your control (and doesn't count against your control-undead HD cap) that keeps all of its class levels from when it was alive (raise the BBEG as a pet!). It also doesn't say that the spells that are stitched onto you have to be Sorc/Wiz spells, only that you have to be stitched by a Sorceror or Wizard (get stitched by a Wizard 1/Cleric of Mystra X!). Finally, it lists the price of getting yourself stitched, and explicitly says that a Sorceror or Wizard can stitch themselves.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: October 18, 2015, 11:36:54 pm »

Soo I have two miscellaneous game ideas that I just feel like throwing out there for feedback in case I ever want to do one of them:

1.) A Von Neumann probe game. (I mentioned this in the Overseer AI thread.) You start as some kind of weak and pathetic satellite in an unknown solar system (probably with some kind of human-like intelligence developed anywhere from tribal to a rather large galactic civilization) and expand+"evolve"+etc., with the goal of eventual control over the galaxy. Something like that.
Fairly standard, but still seems like something fun and relatively easy to do.

2.) A sci-fi mercenary+design game.
When I think about it further, I realize it's kind of like MGS5: Phantom Pain. It's in a sci-fi setting because I like sci-fi way too much, but you'd basically be the leader of some kind of mercenary outfit in a xcom style game. You have R&D, take contracts from various entities to expand your influence and power, etc.. Maybe even have multiple teams indirectly pitted against each other?
Less standard and more potential, but it seems like it'd have a bit more maintenance.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:39:18 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: October 19, 2015, 03:07:09 am »

@cleric spells: doesn't it say you cast spells as a sorceror of wis level or something? I think that would rule out cleric spells.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 19, 2015, 01:51:53 pm »

@cleric spells: doesn't it say you cast spells as a sorceror of wis level or something? I think that would rule out cleric spells.
Yes (if I recall correctly), but that doesn't prevent you from stitching cleric spells. Even if that was the case, you could just get yourself stitched by a Rainbow Servant or Wyrm Wizard

There are werewasps.
Go home, 3.5, you're drunk.
Haha, wow, I might need to make one of those.
Mate, I don't remember what edition it was from, but there are were-asses (not were-asses, these are donkeys that turn into humans).
Yes. Their equivalent to a berserk rampage is to go engage in commerce.
Coincidentally, all ass-weres are Lawful Evil. Also, sigged.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: October 19, 2015, 04:01:03 pm »

@cleric spells: doesn't it say you cast spells as a sorcerer of wis level or something? I think that would rule out cleric spells.
Yes (if I recall correctly), but that doesn't prevent you from stitching cleric spells. Even if that was the case, you could just get yourself stitched by a Rainbow Servant or Wyrm Wizard
My point is that if you're casting as a sorcerer, logically you can't cast cleric spells. How does a level 10 sorcerer cast bless water? He doesn't.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: October 19, 2015, 04:10:14 pm »

@cleric spells: doesn't it say you cast spells as a sorcerer of wis level or something? I think that would rule out cleric spells.
My point is that if you're casting as a sorcerer, logically you can't cast cleric spells. How does a level 10 sorcerer cast bless water? He doesn't.
When 3.5 says "cast as a Sorceror of his/her level", it means the spell(s) have Cha-based saves, and are spontaneously cast, if applicable. May someone else provide an example (AFB right now)?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: October 19, 2015, 04:38:35 pm »

AFAIK, they use the following mechanics. I've bolded the casting relevant parts.
A sorcerer casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).
To learn or cast a spell, a sorcerer must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a sorcerer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the sorcerer’s Charisma modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a sorcerer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Sorcerer. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score.
A sorcerer’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A sorcerer begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new sorcerer level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. The sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.
Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the sorcerer “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level sorcerer spell the sorcerer can cast. A sorcerer may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.
Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a sorcerer need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: October 19, 2015, 07:01:57 pm »

Hmm. ... I noticed the word "primarily " in there; implying sorcerers can but rarely cast spells from other lists...
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 238