Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407158 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2250 on: April 17, 2015, 03:32:49 pm »

Somebody else finally said it, so I won't feel guilty for saying this. :P
Also, should probably just break and make an Ace-Attorney based forum game already.
Anybody got any ideas on how to do this? I want to capture the gameplay of the Ace Attorney games, but I'm having trouble envisioning how this would be carried out.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: April 17, 2015, 09:14:28 pm »

Just make it a suggestion game with multiple scenes, with multiple clues, and then have the court case where everyone shouts over eachother trying to throw each particular clue onto the suspect.

There wouldn't be so much 'Back-And-Forth' as much as 'All In And Vigorously Humping'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: April 18, 2015, 12:20:12 am »

So I've been wondering about abandonment of games by their OP.
I rather like creating games and running them, despite their high failure rate. However, I burn out at insane speeds. For example, my last "ran" game was going pretty nicely up until I got sick, and never bothered to start updating again. This kind of thing happens with every single thing I run, yet later I still want to try a new game.
Is there really a point to hosting a game if chances are I'm just going to burn out quickly and stop updating? At this point, I'm mainly thinking about how annoying it would be to people who enjoy/follow/play the game instead of my (rather minimal) efforts.

Basically, how much does abandoning a game relatively early on affect the players, and is it worth (for everyone) it to start/revive a game even if there's a high chance I'll end up abandon it in a month, only for the cycle to continue?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: April 18, 2015, 12:42:57 am »

A mediocre game that updates is always more entertaining than a great game that stays in your head.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: April 18, 2015, 08:25:54 pm »

Well, in the grand scheme of things every single thing that you do, build, create, or contribute to will eventually succumb to entropy and the ravages of time and be completely lost and forgotten, so what's the point of doing anything at all, hey? Sure, it'd be nice to think my house will last forever, but realistically it only has to last as long as I want to live in it. When I'm done with it, it doesn't really matter what happens to it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: April 18, 2015, 11:23:47 pm »

Well, in the grand scheme of things every single thing that you do, build, create, or contribute to will eventually succumb to entropy and the ravages of time and be completely lost and forgotten, so what's the point of doing anything at all, hey? Sure, it'd be nice to think my house will last forever, but realistically it only has to last as long as I want to live in it. When I'm done with it, it doesn't really matter what happens to it.

Heh. Pessimist.

We're gonna create a new dimension some day and migrate to it. More or less functional immortality isn't that far off.

Strive for something. If you don't reach it, oh well; at least you tried. And that's more than can be said for a lot of people.

On a different note: Unless you're a sociopath and don't care about other people, I would think you would hope that someone would be living in your house when you were 'done with it', and that such would sorta matter, in fact. :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: April 19, 2015, 05:40:18 am »

Has anyone tried to do (modified?) Dwarf Fortress: Forum Edition?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: April 19, 2015, 05:41:28 am »

Well...
There was If Bay12 Was A Mountain Fortress, or whatever it was called, but I doubt that's what you mean.
Other than that, I don't think so. Not to my knowledge.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: April 19, 2015, 05:54:30 am »

So....in the 7 years that FG&RP has existed...no one has made a Dwarf Fortress(-ish) forum game besides If Bay12 Was A Mountain Fortress (which I haven't played).

Really?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: April 19, 2015, 05:57:12 am »

They might have.
If they have, I'm not aware of it, but I'm still practically a newb as far as this forum goes, so yeah.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: April 19, 2015, 06:00:39 am »

Way back when there was a partyRPG with dabbling-legendary skills and whatnot.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: April 19, 2015, 06:10:45 am »

People have made plenty of Dwarf Fortress-ish games. I'm not sure what your definition is, but I can remember freeform RPs, a few management-style games, probably suggestion games as well. Some of these have actually been in the upper boards, for whatever reason. I'm not surprised they're not super-common, though - actual DF is right there, and there are plenty of community forts and other interactive things on the upper boards to fill that niche.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: April 19, 2015, 06:35:53 am »

Actually, while there might not have been many "carbon-copies" of dwarf fortress, I think the game still holds a profound influence over many games found on here. Mainly DF lingo, insider-jokes and tropes, some creatures and similiar is what I am getting at. So yeah, it kinda has an influence, much like one would accredit to D&D. Not as much as the later, especially because DF also partly draws from the same sources, but still.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: April 19, 2015, 05:10:57 pm »

Cobalt Fortress, Fortress Mode, Fortress Mode 2.0, Potash Maker Adventure II (the original exists but its images have succumbed to the ravages of time), and more or less Elves of Amanereli all immediately come to both mind and search function for reasonably literal DF-games.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: April 19, 2015, 05:15:29 pm »

Elves of Amanereli was certainly not a Dwarf Fortress game but I see what you're getting at. Thanks for the links. :)
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 238