Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406900 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:16 pm »

I'll draw you a cartoon portrait if you want, Monk. Just PM me with what you need style and specification-wise and we can go over some options.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2013, 03:16:22 pm »

Oh dear, is this a Hatoful Boyfriend suggestion game I see? Because that's rather awesome.

Anyway, I'd say go with ditching the dialogue boxes. After all, if you give an image for each bit of text, it'll result in a lot of image repetition with altered text, as the expressions probably won't change that much in most situations.

If you must have the PC in a shot, do a cartoon image. Utilize external aid if needed. Would be good if you draw it yourself, no matter how shitty it is. Think of it as a mental addition by the protagonist.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »

I'll draw you a cartoon portrait if you want, Monk. Just PM me with what you need style and specification-wise and we can go over some options.

You, good sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. If I do go that route, I'll likely take you up on your offer.

Oh dear, is this a Hatoful Boyfriend suggestion game I see? Because that's rather awesome.

Anyway, I'd say go with ditching the dialogue boxes. After all, if you give an image for each bit of text, it'll result in a lot of image repetition with altered text, as the expressions probably won't change that much in most situations.

If you must have the PC in a shot, do a cartoon image. Utilize external aid if needed. Would be good if you draw it yourself, no matter how shitty it is. Think of it as a mental addition by the protagonist.

Hatoful Boyfriend: IN SPAAAAACE! or Hatoful Boyfriend meets X meets Y, where X and Y are not revealed due to spoilers. But yeah, I'm hoping it's as awesome as I think it is.

As far as the ditching dialogue boxes option... I've seen it done both ways, and maybe it's the ADD talking, but in some cases I find myself forgetting character names, and thus confusing which dialogue goes with which character. Add that to the entire premise of ISGs (an image is worth a thousand words,) and it's still my preferred course of action. Dunno, I'll keep thinking about it.

You say it matters not how shitty my art is, but you have not seen me make an art. Though stylistic suck might be justifiable too...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »

If you lack art skill, I recommend you stylize your drawing in a minimalistic and symbolic way. If you make a simple, easy model and use it, it will still do as well as a better one because people will replace the model with the character. That's how I do images in my games.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 30, 2013, 01:54:18 pm »

I'll discuss some ideas for lack of anything better to do!

Idea I

I've been playing around with an old idea (that I fully got in a pretty cool dream). Basically, after some great cataclysm humanity lives on floatung islands governed by a nobility of superpowered individuals, each fighting for power, intermarrying, repressing the mundane population and whatnot, as noble houses do. A big part was trying to breed specific powers through dynastic marriages.

Anyway, that's just the setting, but I've been considering a strategical dynasty control game, where the players would handle their entire House, perhaps through the eyes of the current 'head' of the dynasty. Possibly the years would move quickly, the head of the dynasty changing.

I could also go for an RPG or suggestion game, tbh. This be little more than a setting.

Idea II

The Primordial Bloodlines. Basically, the players would head werewolf clans, vampire bloodlines, mage orders, fallen angel cults, etc. from the dawn of the world to, eventually, an urban fantasy modern-day world. Their choices and teachings would shape their followers/descendants (such as absorbing an animal spirit and your descendants gaining its powers in weaker and weaker form). Their petty grievances and alliances might continue in others for hundreds of years.

Eventually, the world that would have emerged could be used for a more traditional form like an RPG. The old ancestors might even cameo, depending on their fates.

The problem here would be keeping in the personal level. I'd probably just include miniquests with limited a), b), c) progression alongside the general strategy play and orders.

---

I also have the strangest urge to run a Godhood-esque god game. Nobody sane would want to do such a thing, but I dunno. My best forum writing is born in these games already, might as well go for the GM's seat.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:56:42 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 30, 2013, 02:00:50 pm »

I would happily play in any of those games.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 30, 2013, 02:09:59 pm »

I pick number two because the after the end thing is kind of cliche.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 30, 2013, 02:38:21 pm »

It's a genre of its own, but fair enough. The sort of bleak, no-hope wastelands setting is especially overused, IMO. But I ain't gonna deviate from the dream here. :P
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 30, 2013, 02:51:57 pm »

The notion of playing several generations over large portions of history sounds interesting, regardless of the details. I think I like the second one more, but that may just be because it's better defined.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2013, 04:27:20 pm »

I had an idea for a Dokapon-esque game.

Then I realised I'd have no idea how to make it work.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 30, 2013, 04:29:14 pm »

I had an idea for a Dokapon-esque game.

Then I realised I'd have no idea how to make it work.
I'm thinking you could copy a lot of Dokapon concepts directly without too much trouble.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2013, 03:56:25 pm »

...Damn it Irony stop making so much sense D=
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2013, 12:44:27 am »

Welp, I kept the dialogue boxes, and drew the as-yet unnamed Main Character myself. I spent an embarrassingly long time on that doodle, but I like how it came out. Star Crossed is the name, dating pigeons IN SPACE is the game.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2013, 12:53:48 am »

Would anyone be interested in a play by post Sci-Fi Horror RPG type game? You know, with the usual "People go explore a station that went off the grid" type vibe, and spooky stuff happens. I'm trying to improve my writing, as it's fine in short bursts but as I go into multiple paragraphs I feel the quality deteriorates. Besides asking for interest, I'm curious as to what system I should use. I don't want something TOO simplistic like just rolling a d6, so would a simple d20 plus certain skills and equipment suffice?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:32 am »

Crap, I mean to post that new thread in here. Whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 238