Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407359 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1755 on: October 31, 2014, 02:30:49 pm »

I'm just going to ask: would anyone be interested in a forum game based around the Warcraft universe?
I gusss it depends on how it's pulled off.
It could be a kind of D&D, but with actual mana and special ability resources, and less useless numbers on other stuff. I actually could create a sort of manual for it, but I don't know if I would have enough players.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: October 31, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »

It sounds interesting at least.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: October 31, 2014, 04:09:25 pm »

As a general rule, I'd say avoid it if you're not willing to do it without prior support. A game should ideally be something you make because you want to, not a gimmick you might be willing to start working on to adapt into a game if there's sufficient interest voiced in said gimmick.

In somewhat related news, a wise man once told me to pour absolutely everything you like into a game you're making, so as to ensure that it's something you like. Instead of asking if anyone's interested in X, you might try that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: October 31, 2014, 04:17:07 pm »

As a general rule, I'd say avoid it if you're not willing to do it without prior support. A game should ideally be something you make because you want to, not a gimmick you might be willing to start working on to adapt into a game if there's sufficient interest voiced in said gimmick.

In somewhat related news, a wise man once told me to pour absolutely everything you like into a game you're making, so as to ensure that it's something you like. Instead of asking if anyone's interested in X, you might try that.
Well, thanks for the advice. I actually have started the manual and decided on general mechanics (I still have to put values to most of the stuff), and I have the introduction for the first campaign (as well as other 4 scenarios that are more likely going to be smaller RTDs). The thing is, I don't want to beign running the game and then find that I don't have enough players, or that a need a replacement and I can't find one.

Now that I think about it. What would you do to keep forumites interested in a game? Because I thought about running smaller RTDs associated with the main game.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: October 31, 2014, 05:00:49 pm »

Now that I think about it. What would you do to keep forumites interested in a game? Because I thought about running smaller RTDs associated with the main game.
Generally just making sure there's things for them to do and decide upon. Interest is kind of hard to generalize otherwise, since it's more or less their desire and ability to play.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: October 31, 2014, 11:54:57 pm »

Arg... I really don't want to update my game because I don't really remember what's going on, but I really wanted to get to the big reveal.
Well, SWURB is probably dead.

Here's the major things I was going to do, that I never got the chance to do:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, I never saw this.

Also, you know, massive semi-justified sorta-meta-gaming that I tried to force through using in game actions and text, again without ever actually explaining to the GM what I was trying to do.

It's a bad habit of mine, I guess. I build up an mental plot of events that I would like to happen, get excited at 'THE BIG REVEAL', and then never explain anything to anyone when I try to set it in motion, even the GM. This tends to get people to interfere and then things just get muddled and the game gets ruined when I try to fix it, again never expaining anything.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:59:18 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: October 31, 2014, 11:57:29 pm »

Arg... I really don't want to update my game because I don't really remember what's going on, but I really wanted to get to the big reveal.
Well, SWURB is probably dead.

Here's the major things I was going to do, that I never got the chance to do:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, I never saw this.

Oh well. When I try to plan these things out I get so excited at the 'Big Reveal' value that I never actually run anything by anyone else.

Also, you know, massive semi-justified sorta-meta-gaming that I tried to force through using in game actions and text, again without ever actually explaining to the GM what I was trying to do.
Again, doomed timeline.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 01, 2014, 01:55:52 am »

I had an idea for a strategy game in which players choose a universe and create an army, then battle each other. I porbably would not be able to GM it, but if anyone wants to, PM me and I will give you a more detailed rule set.
Hmmmm....
Hmmmmm....
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....
I really want to work on rules for an army building system that allows you to pull from whichever series you want.
I'd like to see what your rules set looks like first, but I don't want to intentionally plagiarize, either.
Hmmm....
What to do, what to do...
To PM, or not to PM...............
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 01, 2014, 02:21:39 am »

Oh, yeah. Reply to Derm.

Again, doomed timeline.
Aura
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 01, 2014, 09:50:49 am »

Well that sounds awesome.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: November 02, 2014, 04:41:00 pm »

So, would anybody here be interested in a one-shot Tomb of Horrors expy?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: November 02, 2014, 04:52:20 pm »

Expy?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: November 02, 2014, 04:54:17 pm »

Clone.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 02, 2014, 05:07:59 pm »

We already did that back in...shit, that was 2012? I thought it was just last year.

But, yeah, it was exciting at first, but eventually it just became a matter of us throwing characters at the thing and brute forcing the puzzles. A lot of that may have been due to the way the DM ran the thing, but it's hard to get invested in a character grinder long-term, which is why the ToH is only meant for one-shots.

The thing I did like about that game, though, was the fact that we could come up with custom classes. Sure, there were technically just three classes, but we could fluff them any way we wanted, and I'm still rather fond of the Kadzar family battlechefs and their adopted Warforged son. And I had a lot of fun playing a tiny mouse shaman, communicating exclusively through gestures and riding on top of other character's heads. It would be nice to play in another Bring-Your-Own-Class/Race game like that again.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: November 02, 2014, 05:53:57 pm »

Hey, I remember that! Probably because I DM'd it. Personally, I think the reasons that the game stopped when it did was because I was getting burned out and stopped updating for a couple weeks, we had reached a boring stretch of the dungeon, and awesome people like Solifuge who made all of the sprites stopped posting. So we ended up with a perfect storm of apathy that caused people to stop posting and the thread died. Or something like that. Though... I do think that some people were annoyed when their characters died and that caused them to stop posting. But I'd always been upfront that everybody would die horribly, and that you could easily come back with a new character and claim all of your old junk, so death was more of a slap on the wrist than anything.

If I were to GM a game like that again, I'd probably tweak the classes a bit so that Fighters were more useful, and make a custom dungeon expressly for the game. The hordes of PCs running through the dungeon weren't used to their fullest extent, and puzzles/traps that required simultaneous action in different parts of the dungeon would have been interesting. Plus having a custom dungeon would make the 'haha, screw you!' parts less common, but replace them with more devious traps that don't instantly screw over players and give them a faint chance of hope.

tl;dr version: I had a lot of fun DMing that game, and if I could make my own dungeons I'd do so for a similar game.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 238