Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407371 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1740 on: October 27, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »

Game set in a medieval/fantasy land where the player takes control of a mercenary/bounty hunter/whatever and takes job for cash. The ultimate goal of the player is to have a mansion and a swimming pool of gold. A job is taken from a wall in the tavern. The player can take one job at a time and the job selections are randomised every time. Comments?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: October 27, 2014, 08:08:12 pm »

Game set in a medieval/fantasy land where the player takes control of a mercenary/bounty hunter/whatever and takes job for cash. The ultimate goal of the player is to have a mansion and a swimming pool of gold. A job is taken from a wall in the tavern. The player can take one job at a time and the job selections are randomised every time. Comments?

I use a similar system for missions in some of my games though I don't suggest giving them multiple options for missions when they go look for one
I've had friends that take forever deciding on which mission they want
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: October 29, 2014, 02:47:45 pm »

So, if someone was a new GM and they were thinking of running a game on this board and wanted to get help with setting up the game would they make a thread here or somewhere else on the forums.

The above is talking about me. I want to run a 3.5e game on here. And I wanted to use an idea I was planning a while ago.
So, how's it coming along?

Giglamesh rejected me, too, so now I have a random extra sorcerer.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: October 29, 2014, 03:03:44 pm »

I was going through house rules last I was working on it. So I still need to finish that. And the beggings of the story. But luckily most of the other stuff I can just generate.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: October 29, 2014, 03:14:54 pm »

Excellent. When can I expect it to be up?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: October 29, 2014, 03:20:38 pm »

As soon as I get off my butt. So between tomorrow and next month.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: October 30, 2014, 12:07:56 am »

So there’s a lot of complex games around here… I figured we might enjoy a simple one for giggles. It’s based heavily on Knights of Pen and Paper (Stealing from it in several aspects). Basically the combat should be very simple and the story should be simple to follow but hopefully still fun.

Combat doesn’t have complex rules. There are 5 player seats and up to 7 enemy seats. You can attack any enemy seat you like. Some abilities target multiple seats [Cleave, for example, attacks the target and both adjacent seats] and some abilities target all.

There aren’t many stats:

Health: When this number reaches 0 you die.
Mana: Your abilities require mana to use. No mana? No specials.
Attack: The range of damge you can do with your basic attack.
Critical: The chance that any damage you do will be doubled.
Initiative: Higher initiative means you’re more likely to go first in a fight.
Threat: Higher threat means you’re more likely to be attacked in a fight. [[Player threats are added together (Say 2+2+2+2 = 8. Then divide that by your threat. That’s how likely you are to be attacked. In this case it’s 25% chance. The enemies roll a d100 and attack that player.]]

Every player gets to pick a Class [[Which determines your base stats and abilities]] and pick two traits for that character which further customizes it [more health, man, gain health on attacks etc. etc.]]

You fight, gain experience, gain gold, purchase items (up to four per character), purchase equipment (which occupies a separate slot and is unique to each class).

Every time you level up [Level 1 to start. Level 20 is the cap.] you get a Skill Point. Skill points go into Abilities. Each ability gets better as you put points into it (Obviously) but might cost more mana to use. Every ability caps at Ability Level 10.

Any thoughts? I’m still working on it so it isn’t exactly a perfect thing yet… Just thought it’d be fun to have a silly little game. Here’s an example Dwarf (Which is a class based on absorbing damage for their allies. High threat, High HP).

Spoiler: Sample (click to show/hide)

This isn’t how a level 1 character will look. They’ll generally have 1 skill point only, but I gave Bob 4 to illustrate what skills will look like. Max level should be around 20 while max level for a skill will be 10.

Still needs done:

-Classes (Only Dwarf is ready. Would like to have at least six to choose from. This includes abilities and portaits (Which I am shamelessly ripping from a game I own. Seriously, dat art.)
-Items
-Equipment progression
-Economy (Costs of items and how much gold you get from enemies)
-Experience progression (Perhaps just have everyone level up at certain story thresh-holds? It'd be simpler.)
- ??? (I’m sure there’s more I’m just not thinking of)
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: October 30, 2014, 12:39:28 am »

Why not make crafting for progression through certain items? It could use currency (say for example, lead) to fuse things together to make better things. Off course, you should probably make the other classics of rogue, mage, and cleric. Maybe let people multiclass into amusing classes such as thee eldritch mage (base mage with rogue) or the dueler. (rogue base with fighter multi) As for the second two... maybe a merchant the makes enemies drop more through necroeconomics, and an lecher that specializes in damage over time and status effects.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: October 30, 2014, 12:52:08 pm »

Well for now crafting I want to be really simple. That's the name of the game, keep it as simple as possible.

The classes I'm considering right now are Cleric (Healing and a few fighting abilities), Paladin (High defence and some self healing), Barbarian (Large damage potential and high threat), Wizard (Various elemental attacks), Elf (Maybe Archer? Anyways, focuses on critical hits), Rogue (Debuff/High Initiative), Bard (Buffing the party).

A couple of other classes I was thinking of would be Templar (Focused on removing enemy mana), Pyromancer (Fire based and focuses on multiple enemies) and a few mixed classes such as Warlock (Rogue+Wizard), and Shaman (Bard+Cleric).

I don't know about Multiclassing though. It's sorta the kinda thing where you stick with one class throughout.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: October 30, 2014, 01:20:32 pm »

For crafting maybe have blueprints, materials, and optional enchantments.
All can be found as loot. A blueprint or a material can be gained by scrapping a weapon.
The material of a weapon represents its level pretty much, wheras enchantments are powerful fancy effects that must be looted.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: October 30, 2014, 02:45:29 pm »

For crafting maybe have blueprints, materials, and optional enchantments.
All can be found as loot. A blueprint or a material can be gained by scrapping a weapon.
The material of a weapon represents its level pretty much, wheras enchantments are powerful fancy effects that must be looted.
He said simpler. Although I don't know how to get simpler than loot drop+currency=New plaything.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: October 30, 2014, 07:16:39 pm »

Well I added some more classes... I still need to add some more. At the very least every class has three pictures to choose from so you can kinda customize... Anyways:

Spoiler: Cleric (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dwarf (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mage (click to show/hide)

I also have the Paladin and Rogue class in the works.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: October 31, 2014, 01:54:23 pm »

I'm just going to ask: would anyone be interested in a forum game based around the Warcraft universe?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: October 31, 2014, 02:04:05 pm »

I had an idea for a strategy game in which players choose a universe and create an army, then battle each other. I porbably would not be able to GM it, but if anyone wants to, PM me and I will give you a more detailed rule set.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:34 pm »

I'm just going to ask: would anyone be interested in a forum game based around the Warcraft universe?
I gusss it depends on how it's pulled off.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 238