Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407372 times)

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1680 on: October 17, 2014, 11:15:57 pm »

Wow Im glad to see people are interested. I have all the rules updated already since this is a new version of a game I did in the summer. I also have individual character sprites

And here is the current basic intro rule list. Its very Xcom based because I love that game plus fallout 1/2 traits. Originally I wanted to put in a stripped down version of Dark Heresy.

Rules:

The object of the game is for you and your unit to survive the mission. Outside of combat characters move and talk freely, in the order of the player posting. In combat all players attack simultaneously once every player has posted their actions. Talking is still a free action so it might be a good idea to shout out your targets so everyone doesn't shoot at the same enemy.

In combat your weapon will show a set amount of bullets fired per round, if you choose to fire you will either shoot this amount or less if you say that you shoot less than you normally would. Movement is based on your agility score which will show the amount of tiles you can move. If you choose to move only half the amount of tiles you can also shoot half the amount of shots you would normally take.

Reloading is a full action. Grenade or item throwing is a full action.

If you choose not to fire you can enter overwatch in which case you can fire 75% of your normal attack at an enemy that tries to shoot near you or walk near you.

Armor now has its own 3 values instead of soft values. They are coverage, a percent which determines the chance of an attack hitting the armor, Protection which will decrease the amount of damage taken and durability which will decrease for each point of damage removed by Protection.

Accuracy is based on the tile distance, and the dexterity/firerate of weapon. Without the necessary dexterity there is a 25% penalty.

Instead of proficiency to use weapons, your strength, agility and dexterity are used. Having 1 number below the requirement Reduces the amount of shots you can fire for each turn by 25% rounded down.

Strength is used in melee which is mostly based on actions the player takes and less on the stats of weapons.

Will is what is spent for plot related actions. If you are out of health points you can sacrifice 1 will to regain 1 health point giving you a chance to get out of harms way. You can also use to withstand environmental hazards, to gain free turns and anything else if you ask the GM.

There are 4 types of cover,
Vertical light cover- Things like small columns and machinery with gaps. This decreases enemy accuracy by 10%. You can easily be hit by grenades though.

Vertical Heavy cover- This is when you are firing from the side of a doorframe or behind a large box. When you are not firing it is impossible for you to be hit as long as the enemy does not flank you. When firing there is a 10% decrease to enemy overwatch counter attacks.

Horizontal Light cover- These refers to hiding behind small objects such as rubble or being concealed by a flipped over table. It reduces accuracy by 20% and increases your accuracy by 10%

Horizontal Heavy Cover- this refers to things such as sandbags, low walls and heavy debris that allows you to fully get behind the protection. It reduces accuracy by 25% during enemy overwatch and increases your accuracy by 10% for most weapons. Machine guns and other heavy weapons get a 20% bonus. The enemy cannot fire at you during their turn but a thrown grenade will force your character to leave cover unless they are wearing sufficient armor.

Character Creation: You play as a Marine of the United States Space Fleet on board the USS Pueblo. Your character has a short set of attributes which are Health, Will,Strength, Agility, Dexterity. Items can be stored in your bags but large items such as rifles are held or placed in straps.

Please keep track of your items and post your character sheet whenever you need to perform an action in combat or an action that involves the use of an item.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 18, 2014, 08:33:10 pm »

So I've been working on an idea I've had for a new forum game, and it's gotten a bit bigger and more complicated than I originally imagined. Which is starting to make me worry, since it's a bit... experimental in how its mechanics work and its story is bizarre to say the least. In other words I want another people's opinions as to whether I'm making a playable forum game that people will actually join as opposed to a giant trainwreck that I should abandon. I already have six pages down, and will probably write several more to finish the thing. Anyways, without further ado: Here's the bare-bones outline of Madcap, the game of dress up, over the top combat, and ancient Martian artifacts.

Spoiler: Madcap (click to show/hide)

Obviously I need to add in a lot more, like what you can do with special moves, fan-actions, multi-character fights, miscellaneous rule stuff, examples and clean-up, but the basics are all there, more or less. So how does it look? Besides absolutely bizarre, of course.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1683 on: October 18, 2014, 08:34:21 pm »

Looks like it was a lot of work.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 18, 2014, 08:40:43 pm »

So, I had this idea for an ISG.

The idea was that you'd be this rōnin-type guy from across the ocean named Meiyo Senshi, and he'd be facing his arch-rival, a wizard called Jakuna, whom he has pursued over the sea, over a series of "episodes"--basically like quests, except there's almost no intermission stuff. Just jumping around, quest-to-quest, and there would be a link to each "episode" in the OP. Each episode would revolve around getting a clue as to Jakuna's whereabouts, and the lack of transition between quests lets me hop straight from plot idea to plot idea with no necessity to create transition sequences. It'd be set in a typical fantasy pseudo-Renaissance island place, but with a lot of regular fantasy elements removed and a lot of my own added.

Sound interesting?

@USEC
I... I would play that.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1685 on: October 18, 2014, 08:41:40 pm »

More ISGs? Do it Tawa.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: October 18, 2014, 08:49:57 pm »

Excellent.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: October 18, 2014, 08:51:49 pm »

Obviously I need to add in a lot more, like what you can do with special moves, fan-actions, multi-character fights, miscellaneous rule stuff, examples and clean-up, but the basics are all there, more or less. So how does it look? Besides absolutely bizarre, of course.
Can't stop laughing. It's probably spiraling out of control because true power will not be denied.

Also:
IMPORTANT: Clothing isn’t gender restricted. At all. You’re welcome.
Because I couldn't have figured that out from "Flamboyance" being one of the four core stats.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: October 18, 2014, 09:05:28 pm »

Can't stop laughing. It's probably spiraling out of control because true power will not be denied.

Also:
IMPORTANT: Clothing isn’t gender restricted. At all. You’re welcome.
Because I couldn't have figured that out from "Flamboyance" being one of the four core stats.
I agree.

And I think that if you do this you need a second person to help.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: October 18, 2014, 09:33:25 pm »

@USEC I like it and I would definitely play it, though I'm concerned that Speed might be too good of a stat. So long as you have more of it than your opponent, you effectively get two stats for the price of one. And if your opponent has more Speed than you, you'll probably have to put all your points in attack or defense to either break through their defenses or survive their onslaught.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: October 18, 2014, 09:44:07 pm »

So I'm at a bit of a challenge for my game
I have no idea what to do with the people who are playing once they finish their giant quest line purpose
It's a post apocalypticy game set after a zombie like virus

One guy has the cute but doesn't remember it and is having his brain scaned to get it out
Another is trying to become part of the utopia's military training program (as a trainer for a special task force)
The other is leading a large group of girls to sanctuary (the utopia)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: October 18, 2014, 09:46:14 pm »

Bring in new players would be my suggestion. Let the old ones become NPCs and their players be able to come back with new characters later.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: October 18, 2014, 09:50:58 pm »

Bring in new players would be my suggestion. Let the old ones become NPCs and their players be able to come back with new characters later.

Ya
The only problem is eventualy I would end up with an overpopulation of old characters in the world

I'm also thinking of starting an SG of the same game with just one character running through
Though that one would be a lot harder and played through the original game not the multiplayer modified one
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: October 18, 2014, 09:53:57 pm »

Well, if you feel like you're getting to many old characters in one place then move the setting. The alternative is just making up a new set of quests for the players.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: October 18, 2014, 10:18:54 pm »

So I'm at a bit of a challenge for my game
I have no idea what to do with the people who are playing once they finish their giant quest line purpose
It's a post apocalypticy game set after a zombie like virus

One guy has the cute but doesn't remember it and is having his brain scaned to get it out
Another is trying to become part of the utopia's military training program (as a trainer for a special task force)
The other is leading a large group of girls to sanctuary (the utopia)
Just have some of the older zombies mutate and become a second generation of zombies. Incurable, better in every way to other zombies, possibly half-sentient. What's important is that they're visibly different and more dangerous than the old zombies. Here's how it goes:
Timeskip a few years once the cure is done. Humanity will have begun curing zombies, as is expected, and the human population will massively grow while the zombie population decreases. Cured humans start off basically brain-dead but return to normal after a few months. Better than normal actually. They all are slightly better in the physical department and can live a little longer (whether they know the last bit or not is up to you) but nothing really that noticeable. It's just there as a mark that humanity has irreversibly changed. Back to the game... a very small number of colonies start springing up. The players have been or are doing stuff. They could become bandit-hunters or caravan masters or maybe they're preparing to set up a new colony. This opens up your game and gives the players more freedom. Give them maybe a turn or two to grow into their new shoes a bit. Then the new zombies show up....

Or have aliens drop in from space. Or demons. Or ninjas. Or alien ninja demons. Up to you really.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 238