Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TERA (half off on Amazon this weekend?)  (Read 2054 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
TERA (half off on Amazon this weekend?)
« on: May 25, 2012, 04:29:59 pm »

Huh.  Couldn't find a thread about this game, so I guess I'll start my own.

Anyone from Bay12 playing this?  I remember it catching my interest before it was released, and I'm considering picking it up.  I guess I'm looking for feedback if people like it, are playing it, and which server has the most people from here on it for future possible grouping experiences.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: TERA
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:34:33 pm »

A friend of mine mentioned it when he was in closed beta.  He seemed to enjoy it, and was of the opinion that it avoided many MMO cliche pitfalls, like terrible crafting and whatnot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 05:00:37 pm »

It'd kinda be nice to have some information about whatever this is. Just saying.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:06:06 pm »

I was in the beta, so here's a few thoughts on the game and why I'll not be buying it. These are all half-remembered points, so take them with a pinch of salt. (Btw I played a berserker I think... If you do decide to get the game you should play one too. Best class)

Firstly, the combat is really really well done. Like seriously fun. You're dodging and blocking and watching the enemies to see what they're doing... It works really well.

Unfortunatly for some reason you spend the first 20 or so levels fighting monsters that barely even put up a fight. Pretty soon you realise that you don't have to block and dodge and such. I could literally jump into a group of enemies, start swinging wildly, and then come out barely hurt. I think I died once the entire time. I dunno if this is some extended tutorial or something, but it really felt like they were mis-handeling the awesome combat system they have. It does get better after that, but it seemed like the game was doing the oldschool MMO thing of "group up or fuck off" because enemies became way harder, with huge pools of HP. I think it was taking the better part of ten minutes to solo one mob. Which leads me to my next point.

The rest of the game is like such a throwback to horrible MMO design of yore. Every quest is a generic MMO quest. Most of them are kill X monsters. The game in general just felt like it was full of grind, which is definatly not my thing. When a quest is telling you to kill 15 monsters, each taking either a full group or 10 minutes each, and you have a quest log full of that exact quest with different monsters, it gets kind of tedious.

There also seemed to be a strict progression track, with generally only one zone for each level bracket. Which basically means if you're playing a second and third character you'd better be prepared for the same content over and over. This is something that I just can't stand in MMOs, as I like to try out a few different characters.

There's some sort of a system for enchanting your weapons, or upgrading them, or something. Basically you pick up a magic weapon and it'll say "+3 effect X/+6 effect Y/+9 effect z." So you have to upgrade something 9 times to get all it's effects and such. To upgrade your items you need to use another item of the same quality and type, so level 14 sword to upgrade a level 14 sword. This can fail, which loses you the item you're using to upgrade. When it fails it can also knock you down an upgrade level. Random chance is bad enough, but the whole losing enchantment levels is just asenine. Bearing in mind from what I can tell this was EVERY magic item above white on the MMO colour-quality scale.

I should also probobly mention the underage animal girl race. Solely because there wasn't 10 minutes gone by without someone bringing them up in the main chat channel. If you find the idea of sexualised children characters in a video game to be creepy stay far away from this game. If the time I spent playing is any indication your time in TERA will be filled with people saying how "delicious" their pre-teen cat-ears girl avatar is, or other generally really creepy shit. It'd be tolerable if it didn't dominate pretty much every conversation in the chatbox.

There's a few other annoyances, but those are the main things I remember turning me off the game. It's really quite a shame that such a terribly designed MMO has some of the best combat I've seen in the genre. As I said, I might have misremembered parts of this, it's been a while since I played, but it's definatly not avoided MMO cliches at all from what I can remember. If you've got a few freinds and just wanna roll around an MMO in a group this might be worthwhile just for the combat alone. But so much of the rest of the game is just the worst MMO game design.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:52:18 pm »

TL;DR - "Kill X of this monster" quest on repeat.  Every level bracket has one area that they can gain exp in.  Do not want.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TERA (half off on Amazon this weekend?)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 08:50:11 am »

So, wait... you have to buy the game?  And it costs as much as a full feature game?  AND you have to pay monthly?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 09:55:19 am »

"Download size: 30.0 GB
Download time: 14 hours - 1 day 23 hours on broadband"

Really...
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 10:03:54 am »

All those gorgeous pre-rendered scenes.  It boasts graphics, what it really boasts is massive texture sizes.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 11:31:14 am »

Yup, I've heard it's a very typical MMO design-wise with pretty awesome combat.  For half price (and the free first month that MMOs give you) I'm thinking of picking it up just to try it.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 11:46:26 am »

Eh, if it's got the F2P mechanics of "endlessly kill X monsters for quests", strict class restrictions with fairly limited min-maxing stats, and "You're this level, so you should be in this area." then the combat mechanics don't matter.  Still sounds like a terrible grindfest with a single route that takes your DPS-character through the same skills and hotkeys as any other DPS-character.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 12:08:47 pm »

Eh, if it's got the F2P mechanics of "endlessly kill X monsters for quests", strict class restrictions with fairly limited min-maxing stats, and "You're this level, so you should be in this area." then the combat mechanics don't matter.  Still sounds like a terrible grindfest with a single route that takes your DPS-character through the same skills and hotkeys as any other DPS-character.

To be fair "endlessly kill X monsters for quests" isn't a F2P mechanic, it's just as much early MMO design/korean MMO design. It always really made me wonder if Korean gamers just really love grind, or if they just don't know any different.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 02:33:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's less that they don't know better and more how they play games. A lot of Korean gamers play at Internet cafe-like places with their friends, so games with less focus required are actually better so you can make it a more in-person social event. It's actually a lot of fun to play grindy games in person with other people.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 02:34:49 pm »

Oh wait, this is an MMO you have to PAY for? Sorry, but no can do.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 05:29:46 pm »

In all fairness, the graphics are amazing and the combat is not static because you have to dodge and manually target enemies, but the races seem typical.

Guild Wars II has more distinctive lore and offers the same type of combat.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: [1] 2