Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about history  (Read 1100 times)

xmorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about history
« on: May 25, 2012, 01:45:56 pm »

Does world history occur while you are playing in fortress mode?  Obviously you would have to have a really long surviving fortress.  but what im trying to say is do things happen in the outside world other than the gobs/hums/elves warring/trading with you, and the megabeasts/vamps/weres's attacking you.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about history
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »

Nope. Nothing currently happens after world gen, unless the player makes it happen. No births, no deaths, no battles. I've heard that if you play a world long enough, all the historical figures will get so old that they die of old age as soon as they appear on the map.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »

The plan, from what I've heard, is that Toady will eventually have history continue after game play starts.  That does not happen currently, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:55:00 pm »

Do you mean that it simply does not generate history while in the fort, or completely after world gen?

Because battles and things that happen during a fort do indeed get added to the history after the fort is abandoned. I don't think births can happen outside of an active fort, however.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »

Once world generation is complete the only entries to the history are directly caused by the players actions, whether in fort or adventure mode, if I understand what others have reported correctly.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 04:03:36 pm »

The only part of the world in which time is passing is the one in which you are playing.  So your battles, etc get recorded as world history, but nothing happens anywhere else.  And when you abandon the fortress, the fortress falls into ruin and your Dwarves wander homeless unless you create a new fortress into which they can migrate.  I have never abandoned a fortress after it became the Mountainhome, so I don't know if your civ becomes kingless or not.  The other Dwarven civs won't have done anything in the passing time.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

xmorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 05:47:56 pm »

Your answers are truly distressing.  So it would not be of any benefit to start in the age of myth?

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »

Your answers are truly distressing.  So it would not be of any benefit to start in the age of myth?
No idea, however if im correct, then the age of myth is the one were the FB's, Megabeasts, Semi-Megabeasts etc, are very pronounced. The resault is obvious, More FB's, Megabeasts and Semi-Megabeasts. From what i know, the current state of the world will effect your fort (ie. no gobbos, no siege). Iv had a world transfer from the age of myth to the age of legends while i was playing, after i killed a werehare.

There is stuff on the wiki about ages, check it out; http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Calendar#Ages . I wonder why the wiki is so seldom used, it has everything you could ever want to know about DF. People should use the wiki more.

Edit; Looks like i was wrong
The age itself has no bearing on gameplay other than as categorization in Legends mode
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:25:08 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 06:50:05 pm »

I wonder why the wiki is so seldom used

Possibly because beginners here don't know the DF Wiki is any good.  A lot of wikis are really poorly done, or even offensively spammed.

, it has everything you could ever want to know about DF.

Well-l-l ... I don't know about that.  There are places where it is wrong, such as in the displayed colors of some of the stones, and there is information that is not in there.

People should use the wiki more.

Probably.   ;D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 07:36:10 pm »

No idea, however if im correct, then the age of myth is the one were the FB's, Megabeasts, Semi-Megabeasts etc, are very pronounced. The resault is obvious, More FB's, Megabeasts and Semi-Megabeasts. From what i know, the current state of the world will effect your fort (ie. no gobbos, no siege). Iv had a world transfer from the age of myth to the age of legends while i was playing, after i killed a werehare.

There is stuff on the wiki about ages, check it out; http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Calendar#Ages . I wonder why the wiki is so seldom used, it has everything you could ever want to know about DF. People should use the wiki more.

Edit; Looks like i was wrong
The age itself has no bearing on gameplay other than as categorization in Legends mode

Forgotten Beasts have no effect on the age name, since by definition they are forgotten. Titans, escaped Demons and megabeasts only.