Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Our situation looks helpless.  What do we do?

Fight back the siege.
- 9 (19.1%)
Send missions to get a shovel then colonize a cavern.
- 25 (53.2%)
Cheat to get a shovel then colonize a cavern.
- 13 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: Tadlotlindrirajer: Community Kobold Camp: Please Vote On Our Fate!  (Read 30873 times)

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
Re: Tadlotlindrirajer: Kobold Community Camp: Tiny, Mighty Warriors!
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »

@Vgray Hey, that could well be!  Chungotlus is the kobold word for... Ancient or something equally wisdom suggesting.

@Splint You got it Splint!  I've added to the list and will add him in!

@Hugo Awwww... Koboldy luff.  It's becoming a regular little snuggle pit.  Sure!  Is it an issue of width or just size?  My screen is bigger than I'm used to now.  Also, I'm going to link your post on the index post and keep things organized.  Want to be sure people can read and keep up with stuff!  Let me know if you'd like it listed as something other than "Hugo's Journal."

@MonkeyHead You got it!

@Fniff Sure thing!

@Corai Oooooo... Somebody liiiiiiikes someone.  There are actually two couples forming up already.  I'll be sure to expand upon that, though Hugo's definitely got the right idea.

@Niyazov It used to have atlatls, but fairly recently the decision was made to move away from Aztec stylings because it was confusing if you weren't familiar with them.  To be honest though, I still do kind of picture their stuff as Aztec-y and in my mind their spear-throwers pretty much remain atlatl's.  If you'd like, I've got a spear-thrower kicking around, though Niyazov won't be quite as skillfull with the spear skill yet, meaning higher chance of mortality.

@MrLobster I'll see what I can do!  Hopefully we get some pets.  These guys may end up fairly agrarian.

I expect to make another post either this Monday or this Tuesday.  My work schedule is kind of a weird one and I'm working 26 hours between today and Sunday.  If I don't get back to you Monday, happy Memorial Day to those it applies to!  I'm excited to see what Summer holds for the little 'bolds!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:00:46 pm by CaptainKobold »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2012, 10:00:56 pm »

Its me, I like someone. Dont I? Who is it? I wanna make a diary entry.

I imagine my bold being a bit more intelligent, but unstable with shiny stuff.

"Why hello, who SHINY!!!!!!"
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2012, 10:10:20 pm »

Corai, I'll put whether it's you in a spoiler so that you can figure out if you want to but aren't obligated.  That way, you can feel free to write a dairy entry without worrying of getting mixed up!  Also, if you'd like to predict a future relationship, feel free!  After all, getting to 'lover' status all but guarantees marriage and with kobolds that all but guarantees pups.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unstable around shiny stuff sounds fun!  We'll have to get some!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2012, 10:15:26 pm »

Ah, thats good. I dont want to have to feed thirty thousand little eggs.

Entry of Corai, Entry One

Hello, I found this rock on the way to camp. I practiced writing as well, its shiny. Shiny stone... Well, my fellow kobolds are fools, they can barely hold up a conversation. But atleast theres so many things to kill, killing is fun. My spear isnt shiny though. Shame, it would get dull soon anyway, blood isnt shiny.

-My charecter is gonna be a complete elfhole, skilled in writing, so he thinks he is better then every other kobold. :3-
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:16 pm »

Ha glad I hit it on the head lol, and I'm fine with "Hugo's Journal #" as for the pictures, I got a large monitor too, but then I got to scroll a good amount to read the next line, I guess just crop what is important, like the engraving, alot of blank space lol the text it reads is just fine :P

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2012, 10:58:43 pm »

"Hugo save Taz. Taz not see giant bird. Taz stay with dogs. Maybe burrow like Dwarf."

Yes I'm carrying over fat Taz' fascination with Dwarves. Just imagine a Kobold trying to dig himself a hole to hide in.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2012, 11:59:59 pm »

Please Bold me as Nix.  Yeah, you know what to do. 

Really glad to see you doing this, your camps are awesome. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2012, 08:49:24 am »

@Hugo Awwww... Koboldy luff.  It's becoming a regular little snuggle pit. Sure! Is it an issue of width or just size?

hur hur hur

@Niyazov in my mind their spear-throwers pretty much remain atlatl's.  If you'd like, I've got a spear-thrower kicking around, though Niyazov won't be quite as skillfull with the spear skill yet, meaning higher chance of mortality.

Bow is fine. AFAIK in modern parlance "atlatl" covers all variations of spear-thrower, although "spear-thrower" is a misnomer because the darts are thin and flexible.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2012, 02:23:49 pm »

@Hugo Awwww... Koboldy luff.  It's becoming a regular little snuggle pit. Sure! Is it an issue of width or just size?

hur hur hur
I can't believe I missed that lol

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2012, 09:22:20 pm »

@Hugo That is a very good point.  I'll start cropping them and may go back to edit that entry.  Shouldn't add much time and would add a lot to readability.  Especially with the engraving.

@Taz I'll add that as a Taz thing then!  He will like something I have planned a little down the line.  Hopefully for Fall.

@Nix You got it!  Any specifications other than Nix the angry Spearbold?

@Niyazov and Hugo Oh God, I totally didn't mean that...  Unrelated thoughts!  Oops!

@Niyazov Huh!  Excellent to know!  I've always kind of been interested in Aztec style weaponry, but never actually researched it.  I should probably do that at some point.

Expect the post tomorrow or the day after!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:40:14 pm by CaptainKobold »

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2012, 12:27:25 am »

The next day during feeding time the pups gathered again around old Chungotlus.  The ancient kobold stared mournfully into the fire as they waited.  The wet sound of chewed vegetables in mouths made for meat filled the air.  Finally, in a spray of carrots, one of the youngest asked, "Story?"

There was silence from Chungotlus for a long moment as he carefully picked up his walking stick.  "Yes... I have just the one.  Given how you clamber for food from these knife-ears, perhaps I should tell the story of Tadlotlindrirajer and it's great stores of food..."

"A story about food?" asked a different pup skeptically.  "That sounds booorii-"

A deft thump on the head from the elder set the pup sprawling.  "No... Where was I..."

It was the summer of 179 and the camp was prospering.  With only seven mouths to feed, there was even left over food piled in the center of the camp.  The center of the camp, you see, had always been the traditional place for kobolds to keep their possessions.  It keeps everyone honest and lets everyone enjoy what things they need. 

Then one day Taz had a suggestion.  "Taz know thing!" exlaimed the scrawny hunter excitedly at Suds for the third paw-count in the past sunrise.

"What?" snarled Suds throwing up his hands, "What Taz know?  Suds think Taz know nothing!"

For a moment, Taz wilted long ears nearly touching his shoulders as he lowered his head in shame.  "Taz know where put food?"

Suds stared at Taz as though he had suggested growing wings and flying everywhere.  Then he said, as patiently as possible, "Suds know too.  Food in pile.  Where food go."

Taz shook his head and took out a stick, drawing a picture of the camp with two huts and a couple of dancing 'bolds.  Then underneath this, he drew a cave.  "Put food there.  Like dwarf."  He nodded triumphantly at this.

Quickly Suds called over his crack squad of great minds.  Hugo, for he had studied as a doctor and knew what the Gods would wish.  Corai, for he once went into a cave to hunt for food.  Niyazov, for she was truly terrifying and didn't like being ignored.  The four looked over the plans and agreed that Taz could dig it out.

Taz went about the task with surprising gusto and soon the food was stored cool underground.

"But why?" asked a kobold pup who hadn't even yet had her ears droop, "Why did they put it underground?"

"Because meat, little one, spoils in the heat.  Besides, this decision would come to help them very much later.  But we will get there."

Soon a group of kobolds came to join the camp.  They had been specifically chosen to ensure that more pups would be born in Tadlotlindrirajer so they were young, snuggle-loving couples.

The first couple was Splinter and Cogdis.  Both of them were brave warriors, Splinter using her sword while Cogdis prefered a spear.  Of course, neither of them brought weapons with them, but with the slaughter of a couple of pigs the camp provided.

The second couple was FeralTalon and Monkeyhead.  FeralTalon was also a spearbold, known for twisting about his spear without mercy.  He was very, very strong.  Monkeyhead was his wife and she made the finest of leather-goods.

The third couple was Lobster and Valk.  They were both crafters, Lobster being a Fisherbold and Valk working with wood.  The camp was perhaps most happy to welcome them, knowing that there was much building to do.

"Valk help build," Valk helpfully suggested to Straw.  Straw considered this for a moment, nodded enthusiastically, and the two set off to get building. Lobster went to catch some turtles, and Splinter, Cogdis, and FeralTalon all took the time to train.  This left Monkeyhead with nothing to do.

"Monkeyhead want help," she complained to Niyazov as she was practicing.  "But no skins!  No hard-skins!"

Niyazov lowered her bow for a moment to consider this and then gave a nod.  "Not fair Monkeyhead no help.  Niyazov get Monkeyhead skins."  Then, without any other warning, she loped over to the cliff, pulled out her bow, and aimed it at some circling giant sparrows.

"No!" called Corai as he held up his spear to block her bow.  "No do this thing.  Sparrow kill us all."

"No kill us," insisted Niyazov as she moved her bow, trying to get a proper shot.  "You see."  Then she spun her bow, thwacking Corai's spear out of his hand.  He yelped, growled, and was about to strike her with his paw when she raised her bow and fired.

All eyes watched as her arrow sped through the air.  It moved straight towards a sparrow, the horrible monster of a bird easily ten times the size of a kobold.  The arrow entered the sparrow's eye, shot out the back of it's head, and it plummetted to the ground already dead.

Niyazov lowered her bow with a broad, toothy grin.  "See?"

Then Corai shouted out, "Sparrows come!"

The camp jumped into action, civilians running inside as the military ran to the cliff.  Claws tightened around weapons.  Splinter turned to Cogdis and nuzzled his head for a moment.  "Live, husband," she instructed him.

"Live, wife," he responded.

There was nothing that could be done.  Five of the beasts were rocketing towards them screeching like demons.  Niyazov raised her bow and calmly let off another shot.  It struck a sparrow, but it didn't falter.  She fired again, bringing the bird falling to the ground.

The sparrow tucked it's body in but FeralTalon was upon it already.  FeralTalon disabled its wings before another arrow from Niyazov's bow could pierce it's dark heart.

The other four continued their descent.  Niyazov fired again, this time shooting through the creature's stomach to it's spine.  Paralyzed, it fell, smashing into the ground with a horrible crunch.  The others birds turned and flew away having found the kobolds a difficult snack.

The kobolds began to run down the hill until Niyazov barked out, "No.  Sparrow walk now.  Plasobler judge."  There was a hesitation until Hugo's voice was heard beyond the ridge.

"Give sparrow to Gods.  Gods give us life."

Niyazov and Hugo left together again as the camp mobilized to drag the two giant corpses back.  There were heavy and took nearly the entire camp to get going.

"Camp happy we is come?" asked FeralTalon with a grin as he dragged nearly an entire wing on his own.  "We is help carry!"

Barks of laughter came out as Sen walked down the hill with her drum strapped to her back and a huge cutting rock in her hand.  "Then you is help eat!"

Taz, laughing and barking with joy, ran up the hill, hefted Sen onto his shoulders, and lead the procession.  "We ALL help eat!"

Back at the camp, everything became about the two giant sparrows.  "Monkeyhead help now!" Monkeyhead cheerfully exclaimed as she set about tanning the skins.  When she was done with that, she made fine armor that bristled with sparrow feathers for two of the warriors to wear underneath their bones.

Straw took the bones themselves and got to fashioning them into armor.  They made for a fiercesome sight indeed and provided excellent coverage for the two lucky 'bolds who got a chance.  "Niyazov want?" she offered, but Niyazov shook her head and reminded her that 'space her armor.'

As Lobster handed out newly fashioned shell-helmets to the warriors, FeralTalon, Sen, and Cogdis sat whispering quietly.  Finally, the three stood up and clapped their paws.  Sen played a song while Cogdis read the poem that FeralTalon had written about Niyazov's shooting.  The poem was abou-

"Can you read us the poem?" asked a tiny kobold voice.  The pups had all been nearly stunned in silence hearing of the killing of the sparrows, but this opened the stopper.

"Is it the same Valk?"

"Did Splinter and Cogdis live?"

"Where is Hugo?"

"Did they wear loincloths?"

"Children!  Enough!  I cannot read you the poem.  It is lost to us.  But the carving that told of that season is not and it spoke of the poem.  It was a spore tree, the image of the civilization done with such skill and mastery that you would think that Hugo was raised a Historian from a pup.  The summer was good.  They were blessed."  Chungotlus smiled widely and patted a pup nearby on the head.  "As we all are as kobolds.  For we have strength that no others know of."

"But did they live?" asked an insistent voice.

There was silence.  "Death comes for all, little one.  But for tonight, the only deaths you need worry about were those sparrows.  Now, run off, little warriors.  Chungotlus must sleep."

Little bit of insomnia means an early post!  Hopefully that means I'll get post 3 up tomorrow or Tuesday, but no guarantees.  I've worked with names a little bit to make them fit storywise.  Let me know if you'd like them changed.

Seriously though, if Niyazov's shooting is an indication of how archery works, I need to get more archers.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:44:23 am by CaptainKobold »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2012, 12:39:44 am »

I was expectrly death. Excellent kills!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2012, 12:42:36 am »

Wait, were all pets to elves?

WHAT IS THIS. HOW? HOW I ASK.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2012, 12:46:30 am »

I told the military to attack a MUCH smaller target than Giant Sparrows, but Niyazov just kind of started firing wildly at anything that came nearby and took out almost 3 birds on her own.  It was really crazy to watch.

@Corai, The parts with Chungotlus are happening in the Fuuuuuuuuuture.  Or rather, the parts with Chungotlus are happening in the present and he is telling a story.  Who knows, perhaps he'll organize a revolt within the non-Fortress story!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2012, 12:49:34 am »

....Two stories at once?

Yes. Just yes. How many animals have I killed yet anyway?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22