Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Our situation looks helpless.  What do we do?

Fight back the siege.
- 9 (19.1%)
Send missions to get a shovel then colonize a cavern.
- 25 (53.2%)
Cheat to get a shovel then colonize a cavern.
- 13 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Tadlotlindrirajer: Community Kobold Camp: Please Vote On Our Fate!  (Read 30875 times)

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
Re: Tadlotlindrirajer: Kobold Community Camp: Starting The Hunt
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2012, 10:56:26 am »

“Before the elves took us into the reserves and made us pets, we were brave, strong creatures,” began Chungotlus with a faint sneer on his face.  “Expeditions and adventuring camps were sent wherever there were resources to be had.  One of the greatest resources was to be had in Tadlotlindrirajer Dushimus.  There had been a call for cougar bones and the camp was sure to find it.  It was the Spring of 179...”

The seven kobolds along with the animals and supplies stumbled through the woods.  “Why we no stop before,” snarled Niyazov as she turned her bow over the woods around her.  “Now we lost and stuck.”  As was frequently characteristic of the bowbold, her brow was furrowed giving intensity to her beady eyes.

“No lost,” insisted Suds, the Camp Leader, “This good place.  Plenty wood.  Food.  Drink.  We camp here.”

The others looked about uncertainly.  The jungle was deep enough that one could barely see through the trees.  “It safe?” asked Sen hesitantly with her arms wrapped around her drum.

“It safe enough,” explained Suds.  “We make safer.  Make camp.”

Immediately they set to work with Straw clearing wood and brush.  Soon Sen had a butchery, Niyazov was working on a new bow, and the sacrificial bull and camel were being butchered to make bone weaponry.

Soon, Taz had set up a kennel where he set to work training the two dogs who were brought along.  The sounds of his barking and theirs filled the camp, drawing unwanted ears and a fluttering of wings ahead.

“You down!” called Hugo as he tackled Taz to the ground.  The witch doctor stood back up as the horrible, giant form of a giant sparrow turned back to the sky.  He walked away without another word chewing on his thumb nail with a distracted look on his face.

Niyazov had been crouching nearby and she took off after Hugo with her long, loping strides.

Corai hefted his brand new camel bone spear and looked at the giant shape.  “Good eating,” he commented with a wry grin on his face and a nod toward Sen.  “Sen make sparrow biscuit.”

A hearty laugh came from Corai and the more militaristically minded kobolds, but it was a nervous laugh accompanied by shivers of fear.

The constructions continued and soon the first hut was being constructed.  “All live here,” Suds explained as he slapped a claw against the uneven timbers.  “When more build, get own places.”  He nodded at this with a smile.  “See?  More safe.”

Sen wasn't sure.  The little kobold beat on her drum between cooking sessions and she was the first to ask, “What make buzz?”  The other kobolds shrugged, but a deep instinctual fear began to set in.

Then they came over the hill, giant buzzing monstrosities with black chitin covering their bodies.  The kobolds huddled in their huts yapping and barking in fear.  There were paws upon paws of them.  They tried to count them, but there simply weren't enough fingers.  Then as suddenly as it began, it stopped.  The kobolds hesitantly left their shanty and returned to work with feelings of dread in their stomachs.

“We need win...” grumbled Suds as he looked about at the terrified 'bolds.  He got Corai's attention and he asked him, “You train?”

Corai nodded and clacked his spear against his wooden buckler.  “We train.  We Unseen Spirits.  Strike from bushes.  We kill.”  Then he hesitated.  “But mosquito too big.  No like two-foot bugs.”

A toothy grin came to Suds' muzzle.  “You see two-foot bugs, you kill.”

Soon two solitary tick women were spotted in the distance.  Corai spotted them first from his perch on the ledge.  “Niyazov!  Taz!  You see?”  The kobold nodded.  “Kill.”

The three ran down the hill screeching piercing warcries.  Niyazov got to a tick woman first.  Instead of shooting her bow, she swung it like an axe crunching sounds audible all the way back at the camp.  She was taken by a rage, bow swinging down over and over, crunching chitin and spurting ichor even once the beast had stopped twitching.  She spat on the beast and loped after the other two screaming in fury.

Taz and Corai had the beast cornered with the river, but they hesitated.  “Still big...” complained Taz as he shifted his chopper in his hand.  “Still big big,” agreed Corai as he growled and feinted forward.  Then Niyazov arrived screaming like a mad 'bold.  She planted her bow in the ground, catapulted herself forward, and shattered the fell-beast's head in a single kick.  The three gave it a couple extra stabs and chops for good measure, but the deed was done.

Dragging their kills back, they were stopped by Hugo and Sen running down the hill.  Hugo ran straight to Niyazov with a frown on his face.  “Why fight alone?  No fight with squad?” he barked at Niyazov as he began to inspect her for wounds.  She made vague gestures of pushing him back, but the anger had faded from her for the moment.

Taz gave a great grin and held up part of the tick-woman corpse to Sen.  “Taz bring meat for food!”  Sen smiled shyly and helped pick up a leg to assist with the dragging.

Corai simply shook his head grumbling with his floppy ears bouncing about, “No time for snuggles.  Time for dance.”

The others tittered nervously and when the procession returned to the camp there was meat and dance for all.  Sen played her drum while Straw and Suds joined her in an old kobold song about the glory of the fighters returning.

Nobody noticed when Hugo and Niyazov withdrew to the south where there was a rock wall which had been smoothed over during the hunt.  “Hugo no Historian,” pointed out Niyazov as she saw the wall, concern painted on her face.  “Hugo no allowed make history.”

Hugo wilted slightly under this and gave a shrug.  “But camp need history.  Hugo start it.”  He took up a sharpened piece of rock and finished his engraving.  “Camp spring of meat.  Good spring.”

“And summer?”

“Summer we see.”

The two kobolds sat down against the wall watching the reverie to the north with their paws interlocked.

So ends Spring of 179!  There are a LOT of Giant Animals out there and I'm pretty sure that our 'bolds would get ripped to shreds by them.  I was tempted to try my luck with a Giant Slug, but ended up chickening out.  Bold, I am, but apparently not daring.  You may notice some romantic threads popping up.  This is a wildly snuggle-obsessed group it seems.

If you notice any errors in this, let me know!

Also, would you prefer the story in italics or the Chungotlus parts in italics?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:08:13 am by CaptainKobold »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: Tadlotlindrirajer: Kobold Community Camp: Tiny, Mighty Warriors!
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2012, 11:26:32 am »

I might not be shooting my bow because I think the game automatically assigns bolts to hunters rather than arrows.  Have you tried changing ammo assignments to hunters through the military screen?

EDIT: oh, wait, I'm wielding a "kobold crossbow". What's a kobold crossbow?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:28:07 am by Niyazov »

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2012, 11:28:23 am »

The problem was that hunters were set up properly, but the military squad was not.  As soon as the Tick-Women were dispatched I fixed it so we should see some actual bow action in the future!  Though I've got to say, the way those combats went Niyazov may be better off just using it like a hammer!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2012, 11:46:27 am »

EDIT: oh, wait, I'm wielding a "kobold crossbow". What's a kobold crossbow?

This, I imagine
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2012, 11:51:10 am »

I think that it is named a kobold crossbow is something of a mistake in the naming.  It appears to use arrows, not bolts, and it appears to be the only arrow-based ranged kobold weapon.  What Cognitive posted looks pretty accurate to me, though I'm not sure it would be able to clip at the bottom.  Perhaps the cross is just there to help them aim it?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2012, 11:57:48 am »

I think older versions of Kobold Camp made the game treat bows like crossbows because you couldn't assign bows using the old military system. I'm not sure why that would be carried over, though- maybe Lagotrope thought kobolds are too small to draw a regular bow?

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2012, 11:59:24 am »

I'm not sure.  There's a decent amount of weirdness in the current version of Kobold Camp.  For example, bone breast plates disappeared at some point, but I managed to add them back in.  Also, trying to make a chopper would instead make a spear thrower, so we've got a spear thrower kicking around.  Ah well!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2012, 12:37:06 pm »

A  skinny Kobold with an axe. Hmm. Also, perhaps Chungotus is a special name. A special name for wise Kobolds.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2012, 12:47:41 pm »

I'd like a kobold if at all possible. Swordbold (I know damn well they can make swords!) Named Splinter. I get called that alot so I may as well embrace it with a kobold.

Great story going so far, looking forward to the mess to come.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2012, 01:54:19 pm »

"Hugo was standing by wagon, chewing nails absently while deep in thought about what dangers could harm bolds in area. Hugo was interrupted from these normal idle thoughts by a large shadow swooping across the ground, looking up there was a giant bird. Taz was out in open, in plain sight. Sprinting as fast as could, for fear of not getting to Taz in time I shout "You Down!" as I tackled into him. The great shadow passed on, getting up and heading back to the wagon biting my nails again as I returned to my previous thoughts with giant birds mixed in."

"Niyazov came up to Hugo 'Hugo brave, Hugo save Taz' I shook my head 'It Hugo's duty, Taz didn't see. I just help Taz hide from Bird.' Niyazov was very pretty which made me nervous, I began to chew my nails again only to find they where to short so I resorted to gently nibbling on my fingers instead. Which made Niyazov laugh 'Hugo strange' I felt my face get a little warm, but I enjoyed her company."

"Hugo was worried when Niyazov, Taz, and Corai went to fight the bug people. Hoping all came back uninjuried, and that Niyazov stayed safe. When word spread that they returned, I came to check on them. Taz and Corai where talking about how Niyazov fought like angry bold with fleas, talking a bug person by herself. Worried I scolded her for her actions and checked her to make sure she was ok, bug people can be dangerous. All were fine, so I went to stone hill."

"I carved in the wall Big arches of meat to celebrate all the food that Taz, Corai, and Niyazov brought from the bug people. I named it "the spicy truffles" but Hugo not good at spelling and it read "the spicy trifles". In honor of Niyazov firery temper, and how tasty the bug people are. I brought Niyazov to show her, but she told me I not good at writing history. I tried. 'Hugo try, what I like about Hugo' smiling we sat against the stone wall, she took my paw in hers. And we watched the reverie."

EDIT:
OOC:
Can some images be cropped? lol
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:00:23 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2012, 02:04:23 pm »

'Bold me please. Dont mind who at all.  :)
This is a blank sig.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2012, 07:01:24 pm »

Male, and carpenter again, if it's possible.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2012, 07:12:34 pm »

It sounds like someone ALREADY has a lover status.

Now to reread and find out who...
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2012, 07:44:33 pm »

This mod has atlatls? I'm competing in an atlatl tournament next month, no joke.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2012, 07:56:23 pm »

I put a bold request on the spreadsheet.  Hoping for a fisherbold of some kind with a pet. I hope I don't die TOO soon  :o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22