Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Our situation looks helpless.  What do we do?

Fight back the siege.
- 9 (19.1%)
Send missions to get a shovel then colonize a cavern.
- 25 (53.2%)
Cheat to get a shovel then colonize a cavern.
- 13 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22

Author Topic: Tadlotlindrirajer: Community Kobold Camp: Please Vote On Our Fate!  (Read 30887 times)

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
Re: Tadlotlindrirajer: Kobold Community Camp: Tiny, Mighty Warriors!
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2012, 11:33:22 am »

I'll put you on the Future Kobold list then.  Any preferences as to your kobold?  Male/Female?  Profession?  Character traits once introduced?  Okay with being a pup?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2012, 11:36:04 am »

male
not a pup
worshiper of the rain
training Sargent (teacher, strong, agile, fighter, striker, dodger, thrower, biter, knifer, kicker)
i train the theses and farm strawberrys.
and i like dwarven forts.

i send boids to draw forts where they get greedy and get killed.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2012, 12:10:05 pm »

For nearly a week none of the pups approached Chungotlus.  Life continued under elvish rule and when the elf god of drink demanded revelry the kobolds were nearly as enthusiastic as the blood-suckers themselves.  Only Chungotlus and a small band of kobolds kept separate from the celebration.  The old kobold sat forlorn as he leaned on his staff.  “They have nearly lost themselves, I fear,” he mumbled into his mustache.  “Will they rise before their ears begin to stand upright like the elves horns?”

Slosudlus gave a sad smile as she placed a paw on the elder's shoulder.  “They will rise, Chungotlus.  Give them time.”

“Time?” asked Chungotlus with a sneer.  “The more time we give them the more they become the enemy.  We lead them to slaughter by our own hands.  We lead them to-”

He cut off suddenly at the sight of scampering pups making their way up a hill.  His brow furrowed downward and he asked loudly, “I had thought you pups done with my stories.  Was that not what Historian Teedlongis wished?  For such stories to remain of the past?”

“We snuck out,” admitted one of the older pups with a sheepish look on his face.  The others rubbed their snouts shamefully and kicked their feet.  “She told us we had to stay for the dancing, but Godruprus' day is not come yet.”

A wide smile split Chungotlus' face and he nodded slowly.  “Perhaps there is hope after all...”

“Perhaps there is hope after all,” murmered Valk to Lobster as the sun rose on Tadlotlindrirajer one brisk winter morning.  “When they arrived, the four were distraught beyond work and understandably.  But now they train for next wars to come as one of our own.  Clearly a consolation from Josislus.  We are blessed.”

“Good tick man heart,” Lobster remarked as she held up one of Sen's famous tick man heart biscuits.

“Indeed,” responded Valk as he put an arm around his wife's shoulder.  “But think of the greatness we can achieve.  Why, we are less than a paw away from having four paws of kobolds.”

Lobster frowned slightly at this and turned her head to the side, “Valk talk kobold?”

Valk nodded and furrowed his brow to find the best way to express his words.  “Camp lots kobolds.  Camp do big thing.  Camp best.”

This brought an encouraging and cheerful smile to Lobster's face and she gave her husband a warm hug.  “Camp best.”

There came a knock at the door and Suds' snout pushed through one of the cracks.  “Valk?  Valk talk Suds.”

Valk excused himself and stepped outside to talk with the chief.  Suds held up his hands, “Valk no need talk.  Valk talk talk talk talk.  Suds want Valk make temple.  Srojlachlis.  Valk make temple, we make revenge.”

The kobolds had only left their food cave two weeks earlier but already there was talk of vengeance in the air.  True, everybody understood that even one or two mosquito were probably too much for the fledgling military, but it was heartening to call out curses from the gods upon their foes.  The skies had been clear for a time and the kobolds had returned to their work.

When a clattering shape came from the south all feared that it was another attack so soon.  But it was something with which they could take some hope.  It was the merchant's wagon barely holding together under the weight of all of the wonderful things kept inside. 

There were cheers and dancing and singing through the whole camp.  Drinks flowed and revels were started.  But down to the south things were more dour.

Hugo stood down at the carving wall with a sharpened stone in his paw.  He cut away at the stone with a deep frown on his face, scratching out an image.  Soon Niyazov came behind him and placed paws on his shoulders.  She surveyed his work and asked simply, “Why?”

“We fight.  We kill.  We die,” responded Hugo glumly as he finished off the engraving.  “Big chiefs send us.  Big chiefs no help.”  He gestured to his carving a near identical image of his praise for their mother nation from the previous season.  The only difference was that this carving showed the tree vaguely twisted.  “Big chiefs no care.”

At the camp the merchants were finally done setting up their wares.  A massive effort was undertaken to move meat, wooden bolts, and furniture to the trading spot.  The kobolds from the Big Camp sniffed the meat and nodded enthusiastically.

“You get good meat,” commented one with a smile.

Suds nodded and gestured to Corai, “Corai big hunter.  Catch meat.”

Corai let out a laugh and shook his head, “Niyazov big hunter.  Kill meat.”  He paused for a moment to look around and then asked, “Where Niyazov?”

Soon the trading was underway.  Prayers to Tliyifrus (for her guidance in crafting) and Dleenuslis (for his generosity in giving) were offered and deals were made.  For piles of meat and wooden arrows the kobolds of the camp received a copper buckler, a copper dagger, and a bar of silver.  The kobolds all gathered to see these fine things.

“Fight better!”

“Better buckler!”

“Craft silver!”

Of course, the last was more symbolic than functional.  The camp didn't strictly have an anvil or the know how of turning a bar of silver into something useful, but it brought great joy none-the-less.

The merchants looked over what they had gained and smiled.  "Tadlotlindrirajer make good arrows.  Make good food.  Sen good cook.  Next time, we get more."

With the trading done and the merchants going on their way, the kobolds turned back to daily life.  Despite the ever-buzzing and threatening sound of the mosquitos overhead the kobolds toiled on.  One day the rattling of a bow against a shield called the military to action.

“Look,” pointed Blue, the newest marksbold as she pointed with an arrow.  “Giant snail.”  The others nodded, grabbed their weaponry, and ran down the hill screaming with bloody rage.  There had been plenty of time for training, but this would be the first slaughter since they had faced pain themselves.   As they ran, Blue and Niyazov let off arrows that split the air with whistles and hit wetly into the body of the snail prompting a great keen of pain.

Blue and Niyazov fell back slightly as FeralTalon, Cadbee, Nix, and Nerev circled the beast and began to fight it close up.

“Die snail,” growled out FeralTalon with a smirk on his face as he jabbed with his spear and nearly bounced back from the thick shell.

“Helmet,” explained Niyazov as she fired again, bouncing her arrow off the shell.  Try not hit.”

Corai stood watching this with a look of pride on his face.  Then momentary horror came to his eyes.  "Too close camp!  Kill!  Kill!"

The snail swung it's tail and sweeped Cadbee's legs out from under her.  She fell to the ground with a grunt, but with a rapid spin was back on her feet with a snarl on her face.

Taking this moment of distraction, Nix jumped forward onto the creature's back.  He gripped the shell and sunk his teeth into the snail's eyestalk.  The keening began again and Nix held on tightly with claw and tooth.  This distraction afford FeralTalon the chance to move in, his spear stabbing into flesh over and over again.  Soon slime dripped from dozens of holes.

Cadbee and Nerev fell upon the beast as well, kicking punching, and stabbing repeatedly, but the beast simply would not die.  Nerev took a hit in the lower body from the beast's slimy head and stumbled back before rejoining the melee.

“Nix!” called out Blue as she raised her bow.  “Move!”

Nix let out a growl and shook his head, the eyestalk ripping off in his mouth before kicking off of the monster.  Blue exhaled, released her shot, and splattered the monster's head.

The kobolds stood, panting slightly before a whoop of victory went up and they dragged the corpse back.

The snail was delicious if slightly chewier than anticipated and for several days the camp was nearly silent simply because everybody was biting off more snail than they could chew easily.  Still, happy purrs and growls could be heard all over and cheer had returned.

As winter came to an end, Hugo returned to the history stone.  He held up his sharpened stone and shook his head, “Camp need real Historian.”  All the same, he heaved a deep sigh and began to carve.  Speaking softly to himself he muttered out, “Big camp no save us.  Our camp become big camp.  Our camp live.  We have dignity.”

Unfortunately, not a whole lot happened in Winter.  If you have any questions at all, please ask!  In my double-posted area I'm going to post a quick description of what the various buildings are in camp.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:22:37 pm by CaptainKobold »

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »

• Military Barrack: This was originally the main living quarters for the entire camp but given the expansion that has happened, it is now relegated to the military.  Corai, Nix, Niyazov, and Taz live in here as they are unmarried military bolds.  Married bolds will eventually each have their own hut, but that's only part-way done.  Suds' counting office is also located in this building because privacy for snuggling is a higher priority than privacy for counting.
  • Dining Hall: The dining hall can seat 8 kobolds comfortably at a time though I've never actually seen more than 3 or 4 in there at  a time.  Underneath this is the food cave.
  • Kobold Living Space: With nine beds and plenty of extra space, this living space may be able to remain the standard living space for some time.  Of course, given the weirdly affectionate nature of our camp members, it may also end up being pup living space.  If that is the case, we'll probably have to fill the building with beds in order to come even close to storing all of the pups.  I'm kind of concerned we'll have a bold-splosion soon.  Currently living here are Blue and Nerev,  Cadbee, Cogdis and Splinter, Hugo, Sen, Straw,  and Suds.  The couples will be moved into private huts ASAP.
  • Lobster and Valk's Hut: In order to promote Lobster and Valk getting some cuddle-time, they have been given their own hut.  It's likely filled with fish scales and pieces of paper with human writing on them.
  • FeralTalon and MonkeyHead's Hut: Another snuggle-hut, this one likely filled with trophies from kills and tanning materials.
  • Grave House: After the deaths of the four migrants, the grave house was built.  Though it doesn't currently have a full roof, it is the final resting place for the four migrants who passed.  Inside are a couple buried side by side, Cadbee's late husband, and Nix's late wife.
  • Trade Depot: This is the trade depot.  Kobolds trade here.
  • Crafters' Land: The center of the camp is here with all of the various crafters places and piles.  Everything the kobolds create or store is here except for the food which is down in the food cave.  Yes, it's a mess, yes it's open to the elements, yes it's open to rhesus macaque, but that's how our ancestors did it and it was good enough for them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:44:44 pm by CaptainKobold »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2012, 12:14:14 pm »

you posted twice

also, no migrants?
Highly Opinionated Fool

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2012, 12:16:22 pm »

Nope, no migrants this season.  Hopefully there will be this coming one.  I'm also kind of surprised we have all of these couples but no pups.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2012, 12:17:19 pm »

to much work.

they need cuddle time
Highly Opinionated Fool

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »

Is Taz hiding under a rock or something when the camp is attacked?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2012, 02:42:54 pm »

Glad to see they took down something! Last tiem I sent bold after a giant snail it killed two and injured another one and got away...

Came back next year around the same time and I trounced it with 15 copper-geared warriors.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2012, 03:39:55 pm »

This is a piece of fragmented giant snail shell on the shell is a set of engravings on the shell there is an engraving of a buzzard talon.

this sun big rock slug come too close to snuggle huts so me and brother kobolds kill it, i get good stabs but blue the arrow thrower got kill, me ok with this kill was well earned and food will feed many mouths this moon.

this is really good im enjoying this more with each update.
also could it be possible for feral claws snuggle hut to be a hole in the floor with a small cave instead please.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:41:30 pm by BeserkNINJA »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2012, 04:42:44 pm »

I demand an Obsidian zigurrat as at least ONE of the temples(maybe Plasobers?)

EDIT: nevermind then.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:05:21 pm by OREOSOME »
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2012, 04:49:47 pm »

The only way to get obsidian is through trade. These aren't dorfs afterall.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »

Valk sighed as he tuned the wooden instument in his hand. Humans called it a guitar. He had known how to make it (He had to create one for some human noble during his time at LanternLit) and he thought was okay at music. The past few months were not pleasant, and he had a general weight on his shoulders. In that silent hut, Valk had finally worked out the lyrics. He took a deep breath, and played it...

"Mine, Dwarf, mine.
Clank, goes the pickaxe,
On the hard stone.
Gold, goes the dwarf,
to his friends who mine as well.

Sell, human, sell.
I'll take that, goes the trader,
buying the gold.
And glitter, glitter,
That gold glitters
on the necks of nobles

Kill, Goblin, kill.
Gather a warband, goes the goblin, who learns of the gold.
The town is burnt to the ground.
The goblins now have golden teeth.

Fight, elf, fight.
Destroy the menace, goes the elf in the forest grove.
Elves fight goblins,
goblins fight elves,
is there really a point?

Steal, Kobold, Steal.
One kobold finds the battlefield,
looks upon the dead,
sells their armor,
now he's selling gold."

Valk finished. Little did he know, his songs wouldn't be forgotten... Not for a long time.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2012, 04:53:25 am »

Sweet.  Who got the kill ( memememememememememe )? 

Frankly, I like this camp more than the old one.  The last one, every warrior was racking up simple small animal kills.  In this one, it takes effort just to kill a giant snail.  Our cute ( and savage ) bolds are really surrounded by bigger and stronger creatures. 

Overall, nice job Captain!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

DeepBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2012, 08:29:01 am »

I love this fort, gotta agree with NRDL. Really liked the picture showing the layout of the base, great job!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22