Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a buddy of mine suggested "Middle earth dwarves"  (Read 2096 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
a buddy of mine suggested "Middle earth dwarves"
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:25:45 pm »

He's big into the mythos and he tells me that the first dwarves were formed from stone in the depths of the earth, and only later in their history did they dig their way to the surface.

I've always wanted to do that; begin in the caverns as the only dwarves on the planet and grow from there.

is this possible?
would the modding required be almost as much work as making my own game from the ground up?

thoughts?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a buddy of mine suggested "Middle earth dwarves"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:31:49 pm »

first you would have to rename armok to aule
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:45:36 pm »

You could simulate it without much modding, if you used DFHack to start the scenario:
Embark with seven miners. Reveal the map. Dig down to the 3rd cavern level. Destroy all the first embark's equipment; abandon.

Embark again; reveal the map. Deconstruct the wagon. Autodump (with DFHack) everything into the 3rd cavern level and send your dwarves down the stairs into a burrow in the 3rd cavern level; enable animal hauling and have them stick their animals in a pasture in the burrow before you assign them to it. Close up the stairway with tiletypes. Unreveal. Delete the burrow.

You now have seven dwarves in the third cavern level with no stairway to the surface and just their starting equipment. Oh, yeah... have fun with the forgotten beasts.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:56:42 pm »

Given that currently embarking without tools and with no Civ to trade with is suicide; you would need to mod a way for dwarfs to gather wood with no axes.
Unless you also got the first axe and first pick given to you; then it's quite simple.

The modding needed is to be able to embark in a cavern, with no Civilizations and no goods. 
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:01:32 pm »

Given that currently embarking without tools and with no Civ to trade with is suicide
Dwarves are notorious for absolutely failing at committing suicide. I see no problem :P

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:09:05 pm »

Given that currently embarking without tools and with no Civ to trade with is suicide; you would need to mod a way for dwarfs to gather wood with no axes.
Unless you also got the first axe and first pick given to you; then it's quite simple.

The modding needed is to be able to embark in a cavern, with no Civilizations and no goods.
They need a way to dig to the surface, so they need to have at least a pickaxe or the equivalent. In the caverns, the simplest version of that would probably be an anvil, a few pieces of ore, and a log: Build a carpenter's workshop, turn the log into an axe, cut some underground trees, build a smelter out of nether-cap wood, smelt the ore, build a forge, and forge your first pickaxe. From there on you can dig to the surface.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 03:36:05 pm »

Actually vanilla is highly suggestive of this--but you're waay off with the third cavern suggestion--ir has to be the first.

The wood you always get by default in the caravan choice screen includes fungiwood and tower-caps which are first cavern mushrooms. similarly dwarven raws let them tame cave-animals.

Ergo dwarves do come from below the earth, but they are first-cavern all the way!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »

i imagine "god" would provide an axe, pick, and anvil.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »

Actually vanilla is highly suggestive of this--but you're waay off with the third cavern suggestion--ir has to be the first.

The wood you always get by default in the caravan choice screen includes fungiwood and tower-caps which are first cavern mushrooms. similarly dwarven raws let them tame cave-animals.

Ergo dwarves do come from below the earth, but they are first-cavern all the way!
Yeah, you're right. They wouldn't be digging too deep if they were already practically there to begin with when they started out. Plus they did usually live pretty close to the surface--not too far away to be uninvolved in surface affairs and get themselves into wars, anyway.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 04:19:19 pm »

i imagine "god" would provide an axe, pick, and anvil.

Nonono I got this! You start with dense blood thorn axes (presumably felled and crafted with an auspiciously shaped stone) and have to chop down copper-cap shrooms for the ore to make proper picks! Burning them produces ash and has a 1/2 chance to to give you copper ore, it should be trivial to mod. Presumably the shrooms are just incidentally absorbing copper through the soil, or they've adapted to incorporate it into their structure to become more resistant to pests.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 04:25:00 pm »

I thouhg the wiki said Dwarves were the unhappy union of a very angry goat and an ape of some sort? Its been a while since I read the wiki though.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 05:51:25 pm »

I thought the wiki said Dwarves were the unhappy union of a very angry goat and an ape of some sort?

this just made my day
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?