Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tantrum spirals from military deaths ruining the game for me  (Read 3005 times)

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems that even after just 1-2 dwarves die, at least 4-5 others enter tantrums over it and it's downhill from there.

I think that there should be a change in how negative thoughts are calculated when a military dwarf dies.

There should be a "died a heroic death" thought for everyone who was family or friend of the deceased, which would give almost as much a positive thought as the death itself is negative. This way tantrum spirals would still happen if dwarves died by accident or from clumsiness, but having a stronger enemy kill a few military dwarves wouldn't cause my fortress to break down.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrum spirals from military deaths ruining the game for me
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:13:37 am »

The fortress shouldn't be breaking down from one or two soldier deaths anyway, unless it was already on the verge of collapse.  It sounds like you need to invest more in your whole fort's morale, and work your military harder so they don't die so fast, and don't have so many friends when they do eventually die.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:59:34 am »

Have you ever had a family member go overseas into war and then die?

I assure you, it's not a "happy thought".
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:21:37 am »

Yes, while the whole thing doesn't sound terribly realistic, you should generally strive to keep your whole fort "ecstatic" at all times unless they just happened to have a death.  Legendary dining halls, masterwork meals, high-quality alcohol, etc. all add to the happiness meter and are padding to resist tantrum spirals. 

As for the general idea, the whole Happiness concept is being scrapped in the upcoming Personality Rewrites, so Toady isn't going to do a quick fix until he rewrites the whole system "soonish", anyways.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:20:19 pm »

It might not be a happy thing, but a pretty small percentage of killed soldiers family members go on killing sprees because of it.

Rage and Sad need to be separated.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:16:26 pm »

I've lost family.  I've also walked in on friends successfully committing suicide.  In neither case did I completely lose my mind from lack of hope and anything else to live for.  I might have if I was already a fragile wreck of a man, no stranger to despair.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:33:30 pm »

I've lost family.  I've also walked in on friends successfully committing suicide.  In neither case did I completely lose my mind from lack of hope and anything else to live for.  I might have if I was already a fragile wreck of a man, no stranger to despair.
Dwarves are all alcoholics, and well-known for being neither touchy-feelie kinds of people nor good at expressing emotions positively. Besides, how many forts have you had where your dwarves aren't "no stranger to despair?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 08:39:51 pm »

You're suggesting that naturally numb people who are further numbing themselves with drink are more likely to cry and rage than just suck it up and deal with it?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:46 pm »

True, but realistically the response should at least be muted somewhat. Soldiers dying is kind of expected, outside of times of prolonged peace and serenity, death is either part of the job, at least seen by people as being part of it.

I think the joker put it best.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 07:32:27 am »

True, but I wasn't talking about the real world. Maybe dwarves have different concepts of death in certain situations, and having someone die for the safety of the fortress invokes great pride in the relatives. Also I didn't say the negative thought wouldn't be there, just that it would be -partly- counteracted by the positive thought.

Can someone point me to a thread about this upcoming Personality rewrite?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:35:04 am by Szkeptik »

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 03:45:55 pm »

The fortress shouldn't be breaking down from one or two soldier deaths anyway, unless it was already on the verge of collapse.  It sounds like you need to invest more in your whole fort's morale, and work your military harder so they don't die so fast, and don't have so many friends when they do eventually die.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 10:06:30 pm »

Bipolar Bunker is a more apt name for the game, I think.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 10:17:11 pm »

You're suggesting that naturally numb people who are further numbing themselves with drink are more likely to cry and rage than just suck it up and deal with it?

Dwarves aren't naturally numb, they're naturally unstable (if only due to copious alcohol intake). This isn't helped by their cultural tendancies towards a dislike of discussing feelings, leading to said feelings exploding out of them at inoppurtune times, and towards violence.
Also, consider this: A few other people note that a fortress in which a couple dwarves dying leads to an instant, unavoidable, unstoppable tantrum spiral is one that was spiraling into destruction beforehand. It's realistic that concerns like lack of housing, food, or whatever it is that's making your dwarves unhappy would lead to a time of normal function followed by sudden collapse when something bad happens, pushing them over the edge.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:14 pm »

I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between
Also, consider this: A few other people note that a fortress in which a couple dwarves dying leads to an instant, unavoidable, unstoppable tantrum spiral is one that was spiraling into destruction beforehand.
and
The fortress shouldn't be breaking down from one or two soldier deaths anyway, unless it was already on the verge of collapse.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 11:21:24 pm »

I don't agree that tantrum spirals are realistic. Tantrums are, but their should be fewer fatalities from tantrums.
Pages: [1] 2