Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A World Without A Sun: Major mod  (Read 12909 times)

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
Re: A World Without A Sun: Major mod
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 02:31:47 am »

I think someone discovered you could set plants to spawn on surface and underground with a depth set to 0:3  (might be 1:4)
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 03:03:01 am »

0:3, but I would still make different cavern plants for each level
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 07:28:59 am »

Have to say, I am very charmed by the idea of this mod - Definitely willing to contribute.

Well, MK, how far and into what direction do you want to take this?

Changing elves to drow, switching humans with some other creature (I for one would go for troglodytes) should fit the setting well. Perhaps changing the dwarves into somewhat more hardy and desperate for life people than their vanilla counterparts would be adequate. The caverns are far more dangerous after all – butchering sentinents and such ought to be acceptable under such conditions.

In caverns insects, reptiles and amphibious creatures will be appearing much more often than the rather ill-suiting mammals. With a leather-shortage, making chitin and scales into armour would have a nice ring to it.
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] added to chitin and scales, should make them leather-able (... i think). Adding interactions that turn chitin and scales into leather-material without changing their names would be ofc preferable, but I never really worked with interactions or materials before.  Looking at their temp, they don’t look all that different in yield and such. Pretty sure the later method would be the better one, albeit the workaround should do too.

While there are quite some nice ideas already given, my thoughts went mainly towards the domestic animals. We don’t want cows and chickens running around in our caverns, now do we? The composition of fur, eggs, milk, wagon-puller and misc butchery products is not the same as in vanilla, but I try/ied to give several options for each of these needs. I will add the raws later on when they are ready and (somewhat) tested. Well, here goes..

Horn monitor
A medium-sized lizard, with horns on its head. Their good sense of smell makes them adept hunters.
Preferred for their aggressive behaviour. They can receive war and hunting training.

Gorger 
These small predatory turtles lack a beak and hunt with their stretchable tongues alone.
Preferred for their eating habits. They hunt vermin and – of course – have a shell.

Urt
A cousin of the common giant rat, it has been bred to become a beast of labour.
Preferred for their fuzzy fur. They are able to pull wagons and give milk and wool.

Lutri

Domesticated primarily for their fur, these aquatic mammals retain their playfulness.
Preferred for their playful nature. They give milk and wool.

Tarch
Albeit adults are highly toxic, the eggs of these newts are prized for their nutritious value.
Preferred for their protruding eyes. They lay eggs. Toxic blood and meat. (Fun times ahead)

Hobbler
These small monopods commonly search the ground for the small insects that form its diet.
Preferred for their odd movement. They lay eggs.

Fleece Spider (A real treat for all arachnophobics out there  ;D )
Covered extensively with fur, these insects are quite hardy for their size.
Preferred for their fluffy looks. They are able to pull wagons and give wool.

Clawfish
These imposing crustaceans are mainly used for heavy labour.
Preferred for their impressive claws. They are able to pull wagons and lay eggs. Somewhat prone to rage.

Nectar ant
Prized for the honey that the females accumulate, they are rather big for ants.
Preferred for their delicious honey. They lay eggs and can be “milked” for honey. Male drones are way more common ~ 5:1 – females have ofc higher petvalue as well.

Quite a few animals “hatch” their eggs inside, not unlike mammals. For conviences sake all “non-egg” creatures are that type.

On a misc note, we might need some new vermin as well. Not all of them fit the caverns, especially bees.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 10:42:57 am »

Cambrian explosion creatures... nice.   8)  But we have to focus on the underground theme here.  Someone mentioned camel spiders, and they are not subterranean at all.
Nice ideas overall.  We definitely do need some cave creatures that can fill the now vacant domestic animal niches.

I made a bunch of new creatures here.  Take them as you will!

Giant purring maggot: A purring maggot, about the size of a sheep.  They can be milked for ordinary dwarven milk (note: the original purring maggot must also be in the raws for this to work).  They are grazers and can be bred.  (not sure if this is a good idea, as the original was genderless...)
Pseudoscorpions and Giant pseudoscorpions.  GCS have some new competition!  They have a paralytic venom, can shoot webs, and like giant desert scorpions, can potentially grab weapons and use them against you.  They also spit corrosive digestive juices.
Cave beetles, a carrion-eating vermin.
Cave crickets, a basic vermin creature.
Cave centipedes, a vermin with a nasty bite.  Not fatal, but can certainly ruin your day.
Giant cave centipede:  Huge, fast, and deadly poisonous.  May need to be nerfed.
A bunch of real-life cave-dwelling fish... none particularly interesting.

I also made two creatures for [GOOD] regions.
Murpets, basically like trolls only more huggable.  :P  Think Sully from Monsters Inc after getting a severe head injury.  They can be tamed and sheared for their fur.
Frazzles, kind of like fuzzy kobolds minus the teeth and nails.  Or muppets, if you prefer.  If vanilla gets unicorns and fairies, I'd say it fits the theme.
Not sure about the names, I just made up whatever came to mind.

(Raws in the next message)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45:52 am »

Creatures:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Body plans:

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 10:46:27 am »

Aand the remaining creatures.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 11:29:03 am »

@IndigoFenix
I believe I mentioned the Camel Spider, but only as a ref cause I saw what *shudders* "Reudh" shared, from there was a slight derail (oops)

for your digestive spit idea, this can be butchered to better fit your idea Acid Spit

for tanning SCALEs and CHITIN the [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SCALE/CHITIN] or else you will get "Giant Cave Spider leather" if you leave it with LEATHER just saying.

I support the idea of Elves = Drow, Humans = Trogs. the humans/trogs should be friendly but dumber (think Exile/Avernum) altho trogs in those games where mainly hostile.

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 12:46:12 pm »

The playable mod race I've been (slowly) working on might fit into this.  I suppose I can share the raws for one of the finished creatures I have right now...

And it needs these in a [OBJECT:DESCRIPTOR_PATTERN] file:

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2012, 04:40:54 am »

Eric Blank made Trilobites, Giant Trilobites and Trilobite men, which was what inspired me to make Opabinia and Anomalocaris.

They were underwater, but not underground. I selected them because of their alien appearances. :P

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2012, 11:39:43 pm »

So, is this mod still active? It looks fun to play.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2012, 12:09:37 am »

Making the surface cave-like is the easy part, trying to make diversity with biomes is hard. I might make a side mod like this...

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 12:57:47 pm »

How about blind blue cave gobbos  :P
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]