Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A World Without A Sun: Major mod  (Read 12911 times)

Moonlit_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • The moon is red... Flee little mortals and despair
    • View Profile
A World Without A Sun: Major mod
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:42:12 am »

Ok.  So this is without a doubt a somewhat ambitious idea for a mod.  There is an underdark mod, there is a drow mod, there are several mods out there creating demons and the like... but there is no way to really explore the alien world that is the underworld outside of fortress mode.

I'd like to change that by bringing the underworld to the surface.  A complete overhaul of plants, civs, and animals with a fully subterranean theme.  Trees replaced by mushrooms like tower caps growing on 'the surface'.  Humans and elves?  Possibly as pets but not civs.  This is the underworld.  A land where dwarves, demons, spiders, ratmen, goblins and dark elves thrive away from that cursed glowing ball of fire known as the sun.

Now all I need are some willing volunteers to assist me in changing an enormous number of raws.  Also, further ideas are more than welcome.  Discuss away.

-MK

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: A World Without A Sun: Major mod
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:51:48 am »

Well, the outdoors would still be illuminated by the sun, but it is possible make this, most of it anyway.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Moonlit_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:28:52 am »

I realize that due to the way the game runs there is no way to eliminate day/night, and rain.  Snow can be eliminated by making the whole world by default warmer.  For the purpose of lore I suppose some form of light source(glowstone, glowing lichen, etc.) could exist on the ceiling of the world as it were... but until toady allows real civ generation and embarking beneath the surface this is all we can do about that.

But yes, I believe this is doable, it just needs doing.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:31:34 am »

Oh, and you won't get undeground lichen until you dig through the first (or only) subterranean cavern.

Moonlit_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:08:48 am »

Easily worked around by removing the [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]

I created two near carbon copies of the underground lichen which I managed to replace just about all the normal grasses on the surface. I have provided the raws below for your viewing pleasure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:55:14 am »

YES. DO THIS. I could pretend it's an Avernum mod. I beseech you to add avernite, imperial and vahnatai races and I'll be happy. Please? PLEASE!?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:01:50 am »

Easily worked around by removing the [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]

I created two near carbon copies of the underground lichen which I managed to replace just about all the normal grasses on the surface. I have provided the raws below for your viewing pleasure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That works? I mean, by including the necessary tags, excluding the underground biome level indicators?

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 09:36:00 am »

Holy cow that sounds awsome! a lot of the raws you can just slightly edit the raws of already sub plants and animals
So what race will we be playing as? all of them?

also may I suggest a colour set with a much more cavernous tones?

I wish you the best of luck and cant wait to play! =D
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Moonlit_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:05:12 pm »

YES. DO THIS. I could pretend it's an Avernum mod. I beseech you to add avernite, imperial and vahnatai races and I'll be happy. Please? PLEASE!?

I dont want to make this a specific setting, though I'm more than willing to incorporate good ideas.  Tell me more about this avernite and these races.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:09:23 pm »

You know whatwould be really amazing? If you could somehow start at the caverns and work your way up. That's how I understand this mod anyway, a game set at the caverns.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:11:39 pm »

No, not possible. It's not even possible to have a ceiling, much less to start in the caverns themselves.

Moonlit_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 11:21:42 pm »

You know whatwould be really amazing? If you could somehow start at the caverns and work your way up. That's how I understand this mod anyway, a game set at the caverns.

This mod is meant to emulate it.  Ergo, it makes the world look and behave like you are in the caverns.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 12:41:43 am »

More caverns = more good. This sounds like a good idea, if you know what to do. Good luck.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 03:05:13 am »

This mod is meant to emulate it.  Ergo, it makes the world look and behave like you are in the caverns.

Or... it could be a world turned inside-out!  With all the cavern creatures on the surface and surface creatures in the caverns, so you dig your way down to reach the surfac... no on second thought, that's not a good idea at all.

Moonlit_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 04:07:23 am »

An update on the progress of this mod.  I've long since finished converting the grasses of the surface and am about 80% done with replacing all the trees and normal flora...  Did a test gen and it looks pretty sexy right now. 8)

Rather strongly considering borrowing some elements from other mods of similar theme to add more plants and trees.  I know rhenayas Drow mod has some nice plants in it, not to mention the spiders.

which brings me to my next point.  Animals.  There are only so many creatures for caverns at this time.  I need an ecosystem.  I need ideas and stuff that will fit the theme.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4