Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1121286 times)

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11760 on: August 29, 2015, 02:26:20 pm »

I find this game balanced to get the certs to get things. No grind needed. You get plenty when in good platoon and have able comm and follow orders.
Have fun and in time you got plenty certs to use :)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11761 on: August 29, 2015, 02:55:55 pm »

I have to agree with the grind bit. Especially for certain pieces of "essential" equipment, like C4 for light assaults, or almost any sort of AA capability. Then there are the incremental increases given by things like Flak Armor, where players who have played forever are just better then new players due to having rank 10 flak armor soak far more damage then a newbie can.

Note that I'm not saying that it is an especially bad system. Just, there should be some very low hanging fruit for the new player to go after, so that they aren't inundated with too much equipment to start, but that they can get a decent load out, and a semi specialized one, pretty early.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11762 on: August 29, 2015, 03:04:43 pm »

New players get bonus certs per battle rank up to 15, and also some bonus certs per medal earned on weapons, vehicles etc. And if I'm not mistaken for some of the default suit slots it only takes 1 cert point to buy the second level, which is pretty clearly trying to offer some very early choices to new players.

Not that PS2 has uncriticisable game design by any means, but in general the developers know where there's a problem and make some effort to remedy it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11763 on: August 29, 2015, 06:43:56 pm »

I'm fairly decent at the game, I had been playing for ages. My 6-month boost ran out (are they called heroic boots? I can't recall.) and that was the end for me.

2k certs is (or at least was) nothing to me. That was like two sessions worth of certs. If its going to take 80 hours to hit such a measly cert milestone from now on, I'm probably better off playing a different game. I get that many upgrades aren't all that expensive, but like I said, I've been playing for a long time. Most of the things I have left to unlock are incredibly expensive, like 1k cert weapons, MAX upgrades, etc.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11764 on: August 29, 2015, 06:48:12 pm »

Interesting, the uninstaller for the launcher is also broken. I can't get rid of that one without getting ugly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11765 on: August 29, 2015, 06:53:40 pm »

...like I said, 80 hours is worst case scenarios all round. Inefficient play, no bonuses, no nothing. More skilled/kitted out players could be pulling in 200 certs an hour if it's a good day.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11766 on: August 29, 2015, 06:59:08 pm »

Walking along near-vertical walls and using them to kill fall damage is a "feature" in a lot of games.
Even when it isn't, such as in the Source engine, slopes still have lots of weird shit (in this case, letting you "surf" along and over them. If you land on a slope (note: stairs are slopes with nocollide clipping) in the right way, you slide up and take no fall damage)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11767 on: August 29, 2015, 07:03:34 pm »

...like I said, 80 hours is worst case scenarios all round. Inefficient play, no bonuses, no nothing. More skilled/kitted out players could be pulling in 200 certs an hour if it's a good day.

I pull maybe half that at my best, but I grinded this game so hard as a newbie (rank 0 to 15) with those newbie cert rewards and got myself maxed repair/heal guns and they've paid out since. Non-paying newbies should really be given the tip, in-game, to put their time in as support classes first. You'll learn the game and earn certs to reinvest in your support classes and once they're maxed (I admit, this could take awhile) you'll have a decent idea of where you want to start investing your later certs. I find myself defaulting to the combat medic a lot; I'm a poor bloody infantry kinda guy and I got the NS-11P during a summer promo and I love it. You'll have to pry this beauty outta my cold dead hands.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11768 on: August 29, 2015, 07:27:10 pm »

That sounds a lot like me.  I only have 35 hours but feel like I've unlocked very little... Except I've maxed the heal tool, and mostly there on the repair tool.
Honestly, I just have fun observing a pitched fight.  I get very few kills.  I got station-cash over time from buying a membership (one-time) and almost picked up the NS-10, but decided on a similar VS weapon instead (hail vanu).  I still get very, very few kills.  But I feel like I average about 5 revives per death, so I feel good.  I make things more fun for my allies *and* my enemies.  And I have a lot of fun myself. 

Clearing some space now, in fact, because I feel like playing again soon...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #11769 on: August 29, 2015, 08:12:51 pm »

It feels like nobody plays Medic on the PS4 except me. I revive people all the time and very rarely get revived.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11770 on: August 29, 2015, 08:15:38 pm »

It feels like nobody plays Medic on the PS4 except me. I revive people all the time and very rarely get revived.
Maybe people haven't caught on to the support for certs thing there yet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11771 on: August 30, 2015, 05:51:00 pm »

You'll be laughing in a week or two with all your free certs and equipment. Honestly, exploit the hell out of the situation. Medics (or engineers) are great for earning certs, plus they come with fairly nice guns too.

Once you get revive grenades and a good healing tool, you'll probably end up with lolpods and a maxed out engy and HA in under a month. Doctors make big bucks when most of the player community is still in CoD mode.
It's a game. Have fun.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11772 on: August 30, 2015, 06:19:33 pm »

I haven't played on PS4, so I don't know what it's like, but I get the most certs from running an AP Lightning and hunting tanks.

It's not the easiest certs (it might even be really hard if you can't dodge C4 and what-not) but it's certainly very profitable to hunt sunderers and vehicles in general.

If the PS4 folks have a lot of really bad Viper Lightning users, then you might be able to get a lot of certs from that. Or you might get a lot of dead.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11773 on: August 30, 2015, 06:27:42 pm »

Personally, I always found the AP Magrider to be a wonderful fountain of certs. Just, don't try to fight a tank with one. Even a skyguard lightning. Maybe a skyguard lightning.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11774 on: August 30, 2015, 06:29:51 pm »

Skyguard lightnings hardly ever pay attention though, as far as I've seen them. They stare at the sky and sometimes cliffs.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 826